Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Do I have a choice?

Alison BizzulAlison Bizzul UrbanaMember Posts: 1,047
edited 6 July, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
About a year ago, Penny got diagnosed with a chronic bladder infection. After many tests, surgery, and meds, we have it under control by giving her Cosequin and feeding her Science Diet k/d(dry because she doesn\'t really eat wet food esp. not k/d wet). Before all this happened, she was slim and active... now.... even though she doesn\'t have problems anymore, she is chunkier (even though she eats less than before) and less spunky. Now I know that Hill\'s isn\'t that great ingredient-wise. And I know that Penny isn\'t too thrilled having to eat that for the rest of her life. So my question is: Do I have other options in \"good\" foods to feed her that will help with the bladder infection?

Comments

• Autumn GessertAutumn Gessert Amarillo, TXMember Posts: 333 ✭✭
    edited 5 July, 2007
    Hi Penny - I don\'t have an exact answer for you, I can tell you a little bit about me and that may give you some ideas. i especially wanted to keep your thread near the top, so that other kitties with better answers will see it and answer. i didn\'t have the same thing, I had complete urethra blockage (I had it really bad) about 5 years ago, now. The vet put me on Science Diet c/d then and I ate it (dry, too - the canned was nasty) for just about the entire time. I got a little heavier, too, but mom didn\'t mind because I had lost so much weight while I was sick. I take Ammonil every day to keep my condition under control, too, and haven\'t had any further problems. About 3 months ago, mom finally felt brave enough to change my food, especially since I had no recurrence and continue to take my Ammonil. Mom\'s not a cat food expert or anything, she looked for one where she liked the ingredients that had a similar crude analysis to my prescription c/d. She checked with the vet, for me he said it was fine as long as I had no symptoms, he will check my urine and stuff when I go in for my regular appt in August. So far, so good! I\'m happy. I guess all I\'m saying is that I think for some kitties, there may be alternatives to the prescription stuff -- especially since you take medication to control your condition. But it is a good idea to work closely with your vet, though. Here\'s hoping others with the same condition as you see your post and can REALLY help you out -- at least there may be alternatives! Purrs, Tommy
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 5 July, 2007
    This is Delyte. My late companion, Peri, had three good years with almost total kidney failure eating Purina NF. It made her much more healthy, her fur looked good and we both liked it a lot. I am still supposed to be eating it, although I mostly steal Stella's cheaper dry food. We thought it was a much better choice than the Hill's Science Diet foods. It also comes in a wet form.
  • Alison BizzulAlison Bizzul UrbanaMember Posts: 1,047
    edited 6 July, 2007
    Thanks Tommy and Delyte (cute name =; ) I am glad to know that I have options. I just have been wary of doing anything since it was change (and the stress accompanying it) that caused the problems in the first place. :-/ I thought that her lackluster state was due to the medication she was on for the stress... but we stopped it in march and she is still just... slow :? I really should just talk to my vet about it. I trust her a lot and I am sure that she would be able to steer me in the right direction with food... bleh. Oh and if anyone responds after this thank you much (I am going on vacation tomorrow and might not be able to respond) %:D%
  • Hazel_LucyHazel_Lucy PurrsvilleMember Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 July, 2007
    There are a number of good foods out there, the dry Verus that I eat contains cranberry which would be helpful for you I think. Most vets don't know much about the really good wet or dry foods so they don't recommend them. Generally, you will gain more weight with dry than wet foods. I also eat some canned Merrick but just love my dry Verus which you can get from www.PetFoodDirect.com I've been eating Verus for almost 2 years and I use less insulin now, my fur is like down and I hardly shed at all. Also, have not had a single hairball in all the time I've been eating it!
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 6 July, 2007
    This web site may give you some food suggestions: http://www.catinfo.org. More water in the diet may help with bladder issues. Canned food is best since it has a high water content. Try to eat too much fish based foods. They have a high phosphorus content which can cause UTIs and other problems.