gum disease and other symptoms in 1 year old kitties

Isabella La RoccaIsabella La Rocca Member Posts: 2
edited 10 July, 2007 in Cat Health
I have been struggling with all sorts of symptoms in my year old kitties, Mr. B. and his sister Popo, that include chronic eye infections, respiratory infections, cold sores, and severe gum infection. They tested negative for FIV and were diagnosed with herpes virus, though no tests were made. I have spent much money on vets, including a holistic vet who administered acupuncture at a whopping $110 a treatment! Currently they eat raw food and I give them lots of supplements including colustrum, l-lysine, probiotics, and aloe juice. They have not been tested for Calici virus because I don't see the point, I'll just have to manage the symptoms anyway. The eye infections and cold sores are more or less under control, but the gum disease has not improved. Any experience and especially any success with treating these symptoms, especially the gum disease (Mr. B has lost several teeth) would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    edited 16 June, 2007
    I was diagnosed with feline herpes virus too as a very young kitten (probably got it at the shelter before I went home). I had a severe case and upper respiratory infection and was very sick for quite a while. The virus will never \"go away\". Stress is often a trigger for a flair up. The lysine paste does have some antiviral properties and I would definately keep using it. Cats can also be carriers of the virus and can give it to other cats even when the virus is not active. Even though the URI symptoms are caused by a virus, antibiotics are often necessary as secondary bacterial infections usually set in. If you ever decide to add another cat to the family, one that is already vaccinated would be best (it is included in the distemper vaccine). As far as the teeth, I think that is probably unrelated to the herpes virus. Having your vet examine your mouth and teeth would be ideal. You may need your teeth professionally cleaned and/or you may need antibiotics if your teeth/gums are infected. My little brother had juvenile gingivitis when he was 6 months old and Mom brushes his teeth almost every day. We also eat Hills Prescription Diet feline t/d for our teeth. It has large nuggets with a fiber core we have to chew well and acts something like a toothbrush.
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 16 June, 2007
    You got tested for FIV and were negative...how about Felv? Some of the symptoms you describe can be caused by Felv. The herpes virus can stay dormant and will often come out in times of stress. Treating the symptoms when they appear is about all you can do, besides keeping stress to a minimum. Stomatitis(inflammation of the gums) is a concern as well. It can be very painful and in many cases requires teeth extractions. http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?articleid=368
  • Kelly MartinKelly Martin Seattle / University DistrictMember Posts: 6
    edited 10 July, 2007
    Wahh gingivitis is the worst. I have gingivitis and stomatitis, and it is totally lame. My owners wrap me up in a towel each night and brush my teeth. I hate it, but they are really insistant, so I put up with it. After they did that for a month, and I took some antibiotics, the vet says I was a lot better! I might have get some teeth out someday :-O, but I\'m doing a lot better.
  • Ashley SkalaAshley Skala San FranciscoMember Posts: 92
    edited 10 July, 2007
    I'm sure you are aware that benzoic acid that you find in Aloe Vera is a toxin to cats. (I just thought I'd mention it in case you weren't) You should make sure what you are using does not have this ingredient. http://www.pet-grub.com/animaltales/aloe.pets I'm not sure about the gum disease, but I thought I'd bring this up. I hope you get past this stuff and start feeling better soon! Meow, MuShu