Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Innova Evo for seniors?

Sasha FischlerSasha Fischler Los AngelesMember Posts: 166
edited 8 February, 2006 in Food & Nutrition
My Mom has been reading about Evo here on the forums and bought some Innova regular wet food for us to try tonight. She's trying to weigh the options of the best diet for us, which is hard because we have such a large age range and it's real tough to feed different things to different cats since we always seem to want what somebody else is getting. We are: 15 years old, kidneys failing 10 years old, in great health, former FUS 5 years old, get runny poop from high fat foods 2 years old, have crystals in urine but not full FUS yet 2 years old, in great health Are any of you other senior kitties on Evo? Mom is concerned because she's read that failing kidneys have a hard time with protien.

Comments

• Sarah WeedenSarah Weeden WinnipegMember Posts: 527
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Innova EVO is an all life stages food, so it should be fine. But cats are individuals, so if you see any problems then you could always switch.
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    I\'ll be 13 in April and I have been eating Evo for about nine months. I think it\'s fine for seniors, in general. Like you, I\'m concerned about the cat with kidney insufficiency. Is this cat taking phosphorus binders or on a special renal diet currently? What about wet food? That\'s a great way to increase fluid intake, which would help the cats with kidney and urinary issues. As far as dry foods, maybe a high-quality kibble with slightly lower protein content, like Solid Gold or California Natural, would be appropriate?
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    Gosh, with each cat having their own issue it would be best in my opinion to consult with a holistic, homeopathic or even an allopathic vet that\'s hip to feline nutrition and feeding us as we were designed to. My mom knows a few cat parents who feed their senior kitties a high protein diet(including our own 18 year old senior kitty) with success but it\'s difficult for cats on a forum to really reassure you on what to feed without a full understanding of each cat\'s needs. I think that people are starting to realize that it\'s not necessary to feed a different food according to age. A cat in the wild would eat the same thing no matter what his age so the notion that older cats need less protein, I feel is passe. Then again, seeing as some of you have health issues, it\'s always safest to check with a vet before a diet change.
  • Shannon BernardShannon Bernard Allegany Co.Member Posts: 269
    edited 27 February, 2006
    WHOA! This isn\'t really about feeding Evo to seniors, but about feeding it to cats who have renal problems and crystals. You really should talk to your vet about the right diet for the two kitties with health problems. One of the main problems in renal insufficiency/failure is that the kidneys can no longer get rid of the byproducts of protein metabolism effectively. The body needs enough protein to ensure that it doesn\'t start to use it\'s own muscle tissue for energy, but not too much that the kidneys can\'t get rid of the waste. There is some disagreement about whether protein should be restricted, but along with high protein comes high levels of phosphorus, and phosphorus is pretty universally restricted when it comes to renal problems. I haven\'t heard of ANY vets recommending a diet of super high protein food like EVO to a cat with renal problems. As far as crystals, there are different types of crystals that form for different reasons, but in cats with very common struvite crystals, limiting protein and phosphorus are generally recommended, along with other dietary changes, and certainly super high protein food would probably not be advisable. I gotta say--I think this is the wrong food for these 2 cats. We two kitties have started eating it, but we have clean bills of health. You should really talk to your vet about the right foods for you though. You may need 3 different foods to meet the needs of all your kitties.
  • Sasha FischlerSasha Fischler Los AngelesMember Posts: 166
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Well, here's the deal.... mom doesn't trust vets when it comes to food. She listens to what they have to say, but to a one they have always recommend foods that are only available exclusively through vets, which she finds to be a conflict of interest. If she could get a prescription and order in bulk from a discounter, she wouldn't have a problem with that, but the "only at a vet" thing really tweaks her. Mom spends an average of $800 a year on food and litter for us, so she takes a dim view of being restricted to where she purchases food and having to pay a vet's markup. She also notes that we have turned our noses up at 99% of the prescription foods ever gotten from vets. The only thing we all agree on is that we like the Waltham S/O that we got this week. She has tried feeding us different things but with 5 of us eating, we always want something somebody else has and don't end up eating our special foods anyway. For a long time I was getting Science Diet Senior until mom found out that the other kitties were sneaking in and eating it, which gave one of them runny poop and the other struvite crystals. So, the Science Diet went into the trash this week and we are all eating the Waltham S/O until mom finds a new food that we all like. The other problem we have is that I only leave the bedroom to use the litter box these days and have lost a lot of weight, so mom doesn't want to restrict my food and always has a bowl of water and food in the bedroom corner for me and it's darn near impossible to keep the other kitties out of my bowl. She's really wants to make my final time before the bridge as comfortable as possible while still keeping the other cats healthy.
  • Shannon BernardShannon Bernard Allegany Co.Member Posts: 269
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I take everything my vet has to say about food with a grain of salt too--but when it comes to a prescription diet for a diagnosed health problem, it's another issue. If your vet recommends a renal diet, then you're free to buy whatever brand you want from whatever source you want, but I still feel that giving super high protein Evo could be a very serious mistake for a cat with renal problems. Obviously a cat needs to eat, and if your cat refuses a specific food consistently, then something else needs to be tried. But again, I don't think Evo is necessarily the right food in this case.