Vomiting new food

Diana GabaldonDiana Gabaldon PortlandMember Posts: 5,607
edited 7 February, 2006 in Food & Nutrition
Help! On the recommendation of our vet and the fact that Nature\'s Recipe has changed and we don\'t like it, mom has switched our food. We are now eating a mixture of Science Diet Hairball Control and Hills Prescription t/d for dental. I love how the food tastes but mom is finding vomit piles of both digested and undigested food. I am a kitty with a nervous tummy. When mom returns from being gone for a short vacation, I will vomit for a day or two. I have been looked at by the vet and there is nothing physically wrong with me that we can find. Mom does not know what to do. Will I become used to the new food? Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• Sarah WeedenSarah Weeden WinnipegMember Posts: 527
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Science Diet is a very low quality food, no matter what the vet says. They wouldn't know pet nutrition if it came up and bit them in the butt. Science Diet is pumped full of undigestable stuff like corn, wheat, etc which is probably why you are not digesting it. It's also full of meat by-products and fillers. Yuuuuck! You should switch to a high quality food ASAP. Foods I recommend: ~Innova ~California Natural (great for cats who has sensitivities & allergies) ~Wellness ~Natural Balance
  • mailani hornmailani horn san pedroMember Posts: 173
    edited 27 February, 2006
    f.y.i. vets get a comission on however much science diet they sell from thier office from the company. it is really bad food. the kitty above me recommended all the good foods and there are more too. make sure the food you are feeding doesn't have any by-products or corn and that real meat is the first ingredient. i'm sure you will find something to suit you. good luck and stay hydrated.
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    It's a tough thing to address, if you don't like your old brand anymore so it makes it impossible to switch gradually. :-( There might be something in one (or both) of the new foods that you're sensitive to. You might try just one or the other for a little while so you can figure out which formula might be the source of the problem. You should probably talk to the vet, too, and let him/her know that the diet that was recommended seems to be causing this problem. Personally, I tend to barf if I wolf my food too fast, also. Your mommy might want to feed you more often in smaller amounts so you don't overstuff your tummy. Good luck! Hope you're feeling better soon! *cheekrubs*
  • Diana GabaldonDiana Gabaldon PortlandMember Posts: 5,607
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks guys. Mom has always been really carefull to feed us quality foods. We were eating Natures Recipe but they switched the formula and we don't care for it now. She thought since it was "perscription" Science Diet that it should be good. I guess not. Our pet store gives samples so maybe we will see if we can sample some of the other suggestions. Anyone know of one that is better for tooth heath than the others? Thanks again for all of your help.
  • Wendy HutchisonWendy Hutchison Member Posts: 46
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Changing foods should be done slowly. Which can be difficult if you introduce a new food and suddenly they look at the old food like it's poison. My boy was on science diet from the day I brought him home (8 months) up until about 4 months ago. I'd been feeding him SD Sr. hairball dry, as I'd always been told that SD was a good food. Then last fall he got VERY sick, was throwing up constantly, stopped eating, etc. Once he was stablized, I started investigating new foods for him. I tried him on Innova Lite, but it seems to have been way too rich for him - throwing up and the runs. May be the milk products, or the veggies or the alfalfa. He now gets California Natural Chicken and Rice dry. He still throws up - but now it's about 2 to 3 times a week and only once, as opposed to every day at least twice a day. His coat is now gorgeous (he used to get awful dandruff), he eats much less of the CN, I think because it's a better food and is more satisfying. He does get wet food too. I'd tried wellness wet, but that gave him the runs *rips hair out*, and a few other good brands. Turns out the only wet food that he likes and tolerates well is, unfortunately, Fancy Feast. But at almost 10 years old and having been through a major health scare, I gave in on the FF wet and we compromised on the California Naturals dry.