Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

I hate soft kitty food!!! What to do with stubborn eaters?!

Ashley SkalaAshley Skala San FranciscoMember Posts: 92
edited 16 July, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
MuShu\'s mom here: I tried to transition MuShu into a combination hard/soft food to make sure he gets a variety instead of eating the same thing every day. Also to make sure he gets enough water intake each day. I got MuShu a catit fountain that should get here on Tuesday. ;c; At any rate does anyone have any tricks on enticing him to try something new? Keep in mind I\'ve been ginger with him since he\'s just getting over Fatty Liver disease and I don\'t want to discourage eating in general. I\'m thrilled he\'s eating again!!! %:D% I\'ve tried a few different kinds of canned: Nutro Natural Choice in a variety of flavors, Hill\'s A/D, (which is what I was feeding through the tube and had some left over) Wellness Chicken and Turkey and Salmon, he just smells it and turns up his nose at it. What should I do? :-k

Comments

• Lianne StinsonLianne Stinson OakvilleMember Posts: 182
    edited 8 July, 2007
    Try Merrick\'s wet food. They come in a ton of different varieties. My cats love them. They also really like Felidae wet, Innova EVO, Snappy Tom, and Evangers.
  • Pat BeckPat Beck Spokane/SouthhillMember Posts: 878
    edited 8 July, 2007
    I like Tiki Tuna, and my Sister, Checkers who really does not like wet food, either, will eat a little bit of it.
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 8 July, 2007
    Here are some tips on how to do food transitions: Food tips Many felines won't eat a brand new food right away. The best thing to do is to give a little bit in a bowl. You may sniff it and walk away at first but later you will come back to the bowl and taste it. I do that with new food. I won't eat it right away but later on I will taste it. If I really don't like the food, I refuse to touch it and push the bowl to the back of my tray, mol. Try a variety of different brands of food and flavors. Wellness, Merrick, Nature's Variety, Weruva, non-premium foods, mid-quality foods.
  • Ashley SkalaAshley Skala San FranciscoMember Posts: 92
    edited 8 July, 2007
    Thanks guys I'll try those out! =;
  • Lorraine BrinerLorraine Briner Member Posts: 4,098
    edited 8 July, 2007
    Just want to mew in my 2 cents on the Evangers and Merricks canned foods - YUM! Love 'em! I also really love Wysong Archetype food (it's good for both feline and canine). It's dehydrated raw food that Mom mixes with warm water (you can serve it dry, too). Me and my basenji brother Stormie go wild for it!! Bon Apetit!
  • Beverly HixBeverly Hix Osage CountyMember Posts: 48
    edited 8 July, 2007
    Tommy Rags had trouble with urinary problems until his vet put him on Hill's CD cat food. It's a dry food and so I still worry that he doesn't drink enough. Then I discovered that he likes shrimp, so every morning I chop up one and add a generious amount of water. Now he drinks all the "soup" off the chopped shrimp even if he doesn't always eat the meaty part. Maybe you could add a little water to his favorite dry food?
  • Sharon BraatenSharon Braaten Great BarringtonMember Posts: 842
    edited 9 July, 2007
    I am not a big fan of canned food either. Mom opens a can and the 2 other kitties come running. I just sit and look at how silly they are, meowing away. Mom just tried a new brand called california naturals - salmon & sweet potato and I love it! Mom couldn't believe I ate the whole thing. I guess you just have to try different flavors until you find something you like. It can be frustrating but I don't know what else to tell you. Sometimes mom gives us tuna with some water added and we drink up all the juice. Yummmmmm! Good luck!
  • Alana RobertsAlana Roberts BrooklynMember Posts: 758
    edited 10 July, 2007
    I would stear clear of Hills products in general they have a lot of problems right now with possible contamination. Jabba is a VERY fussy eater and she just loves the FROMM brand of cat food. They don't do a specific senior or kidney disease food but my vet said its more important that they eat something, as not eating can make her condition worse. Jabba's test results actually came back best when she was eating Chicken Soup for the Soul wet food and worst when she was on Hill's.
  • Jennie-Carra AndriesJennie-Carra Andries Baton rougeMember Posts: 12
    edited 11 July, 2007
    I get like that sometimes when mommy tries a new brand of cat food. Sometimes I dont like it and stop eating in the hopes that mommy will give me something better. But mommy says that I will eat when I get hungry enough and that I need to eat my new food so I can have the best diet possible.
  • Sarah CrestworthSarah Crestworth San FranciscoMember Posts: 162
    edited 11 July, 2007
    Why not just stick to dry, BUT change it up a bit? Some cats just flat out refuse canned food, no matter what brand, flavor, etc. Try adding low sodium (or even better, homemade) chicken/beef/fish stock to the food. Or even just water. That might work, depends on the cat.
    edited 12 July, 2007
    Thanks everyone! Mom's gunna try spacing out the test runs with new canned food. Since she set up the Catit fountain I've been interested in more water. I love it! So I think for now she'll try to stick to the dry for now and maybe introduce a few new cans from time to time to see if I'll try it out. Meow! MuShu
  • Emma MendiolaEmma Mendiola Suisun CityMember Posts: 59
    edited 14 July, 2007
    Glad to hear that the fountain is inspiring your little one to drink more! Zelda used to hate wet food also. She absolutely loves anything crunchy and hated anything that wasn't. I ended up handfeeding her, and she came around pretty quick. She loves being handfed, so after a few sittings of eating the wet, mushy mess out of my hand, she got used to it enough to eat out of her bowl (thank goodness - it is quite messy). Now they get wet food once a day, and are both perfectly content with it.
    edited 16 July, 2007
    Good idea Zelda! I'll tolerate being hand fed sometimes. So maybe if mom was persisitant I might get used to the soft and realize it's just different from hard food but it's still real food. hehe. :? I always seem interested in what mom's giving me until I realize that it's not what I want. I look up at her like..."Hey momma where's the real food?!" So I'm picky...what's the big deal? :-k