Bath Time

Hope ShepherdHope Shepherd Wyoming, FeltonMember Posts: 84
edited 26 November, 2005 in Grooming
Hello This is Tempest from Felton, Delaware. My mommy wants to bath us off and on to get rid of dirt and fleas. Whats the easiest way to do so? I will bite the heck out of her. I hate bathtimes and she knows it. I will meow so loud that it hurts my mommys ears.

Comments

• Chelsea McWilliamsChelsea McWilliams HamiltonMember Posts: 575
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I hope you make it out pal....well she can just put some shampoo on u and then lather it and then dump a bucket of water on u outside. that's what i would think is the best way.
  • Deb O'NeillDeb O'Neill PerkasieMember Posts: 8,659
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi, Tempest! Hi, Luke! Personally, I would have two people, one to help hold you and one to do the cleaning. Make sure there are plenty of cups of warm water for rinsing so you don't have to turn the faucett on. I think that noise can make a frightening situation even more so! Sophie & I don't get bathed as we are indoor cats. We've never had a cleanliness problem, so Mom doesn't need to. If we ever got fleas, I guess it would be a different story! Good Luck!
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi Tempest! If you have a problem with fleas using a product like Frontline or Advantage would work better at getting rid of them than bathing. These products are much more effective and safer than some of the stuff that you buy at the grocery store.
  • Steve McDermottSteve McDermott Member Posts: 13
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I'm dirty all the time, i like rolling in the dirt and making my nice white fur all dirty. My mommy uses frontline on all my housemates and I and we dont have a flea problem.
  • Kathleen McLaughlinKathleen McLaughlin AmherstMember Posts: 24
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My humans don\'t give me baths, I just lick my self. I guess it\'s because I\'m a cat...
  • KittymomKittymom MiltonMember Posts: 266 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mom says she does not think there's any need to bathe me because I'm an indoor cat and I'm always grooming myself anyway.
  • Alison GeargeouraAlison Geargeoura Member Posts: 157
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Heyas! Anyone got any tips on how we can get our silly Mommy to STOP bathing us?? Boo cries and tries to climb up and over Mommy, Charlotte tries to play tic-tac-toe on Mommy, and I dont mind it so much, but I squirm a bit so I dont get left out... We are indoor kitties, and think Mommy has a water issue. Calvin xoxo
  • April BennettApril Bennett Terre HauteMember Posts: 97
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Even though I am inside only, Mommy bathes me about every two weeks. I used to hate it, but now I kind of like the warm water. Mommy fills the bathtub up with nice warm water, and then she picks me up, holds me agianst her chest, and gets in the tub with me. She sits down really slowly and gently puts me in the water. She uses a measuring cup to get my head wet, because I hate it if she puts my head under water. Then she washes me. If I start trying to get out, she just picks me up and cuddles me. When I\'m all clean, Mommy wraps me up in a nice big towel and I sit on her lap to dry. I still have all of my claws, but after the first few times, I have never scratched Mommy. Just have your Mommy hold you really close so that you feel safe. Good Luck!
  • Sarah WendlingSarah Wendling Toronto, Queen WestMember Posts: 10
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi all... my mommy is a cat groomer, so she knows all about washing kitties. It is actually good for indoor kitties to get a bath once in a while (or so she says - I disagree), but they need the bath less often. She usually recommends once every 3-6 months, depending on the kitty's coat length, condition, indoor/outdoor adventures and self-grooming habits. Some kitties get old or gain weight and have trouble grooming. Plus, it'll help wash out all the loose, dead fur and we won't cough up so many hairballs. Yuck! The way she washes kitties at work is to put some shampoo in a bottle and fill the rest with water. That way, she can wet and shampoo the kitty in one step without turning on the scary faucet. Then she rinses them off with a really low flow shower nozzle. At home, though, she gets my auntie Stef to help hold me and my brother while she rinses us off with a bucket because her "stupid" shower head thingy doesn't detach. I hate that - auntie Stef seems to think it's funny when we're wet. Anyway, the best tip she has for your moms and dads to wash you is to be calm, never put water on your face (use a washcloth) and make sure to rinse out all the shampoo. And the wet/shampoo in one step is really good because there's less scary water sounds. Oh and have everything within arms reach ('cause we know if the human is distracted for even a second, we can take off!) and close the door if possible. I know when I get wet, I can get away much easier and if the door is open, I get to have fun making a wet mess of mommy's house. She seems to find that less amusing than I do though... Hope that helps!
  • Jon PaynterJon Paynter San JoseMember Posts: 24
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I get bathed entirely TOO often being a showcat and all. Took a while for dad to get things down proper.. but here is what works. first - I get my claws clipped a day or so before bath time. then like others said - setup everything before hand. shampoo, brush, towels, container for dipping water. Then the litterbox gets removed from the bathroom (I got away once during bathtime and stood in it like I had to go - but the litter STUCK to my paws). Then im fetched, the bathroom doors are closed and away we go. Dad has a showerhead with a looong hose on it (had to by an extension at home depot) that just sits in the bathtub and quietly sprays warm water. Once the innumerable wetting, shampoo and rinsing cylces are done, I get dunked in this plastic tub of water. Im told this gets the last of the soap out of my fur -- but its entirely too deep for my comforts, fortunately I dont stay in long. Then its towels and a blow dryer until im dry enough to leave the bathroom. not a short process - but I look GOOD when its all done.
  • Rachael JonesRachael Jones SkiatookMember Posts: 812
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Wow, lots of good response about cat bathing. The one thing I'd add is to make a 'kitty burrito' when you're done. I'm a groomer, and when I wash a cat at work I have two or three towels spread out on top of each other right by the tub. After the bath, I put the sad, wet kitty on the top towel, and then swaddle him or her as tightly as I can and then just hold her for several minutes. I learned this little trick at the grooming school I went to. Not only do the layers of towels draw a lot of the water away from the kitty, but the process usually calms and comforts her.
  • Jennifer GourdieJennifer Gourdie Broken Arrow / TulsaMember Posts: 102
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I've never had a bath and I'm 11 years old. My humans just comb me when I get dirty. They spray me with Frontline also and I try to scratch their eyes out, I don't get fleas! They always put leather gloves on to work on me, they better wear goggles next time because I will scratch their eyes out!
  • florencia mazzaflorencia mazza banfieldMember Posts: 10
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mommy baths me too (soon it will be María's time). I don't know if like or dislike bathing time. I tend to get a bir nervous when I feel this time is coming, so I trie to run, hide, and that. But the, when mum holds me I get totally relaxed (sometimes I think it's the fear). She prepares the bath with warm water, but a little, not much water (because it scares me to death), and uses white soap (but the good one). Then she washes out with a shower or with a water bucket, trying not to dunk my head.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mommy baths me too (soon it will be María's time). I don't know if like or dislike bathing time. I tend to get a bir nervous when I feel this time is coming, so I trie to run, hide, and that. But the, when mum holds me I get totally relaxed (sometimes I think it's the fear). She prepares the bath with warm water, but a little, not much water (because it scares me to death), and uses white soap (but the good one). Then she washes out with a shower or with a water bucket, trying not to dunk my head.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    and then she dries me with a towel and later with her hair dryer
  • Felissa SchnipperFelissa Schnipper ManalapanMember Posts: 12
    edited 27 February, 2006
    mommy wants to give me a bath for the first time...she says its good for me...but she wants to know if she should get the special cat shampoo and conditioner or will human shampoo be ok?? her friend uses panteen pro-v on her kitty and she said it works just fine...but mommy is afraid the bubbles will get in my eyes and hurt me
  • Kat SmithKat Smith Member Posts: 11
    edited 27 February, 2006
    -hides- i hate baths! whenever i have to have one i meow very loud, scrach at the sides of the bath and try to escape. our humans know we hate them but yet they still bath us often.......why?