Is Science Diet good?

2»

Comments

• Crystal FoggCrystal Fogg Member Posts: 370
    edited 30 July, 2007
    I think the point I was trying to stress wasn't so much too eat or not eat Science Diet at this point, but to make sure whatever your kitty eats has L-Lysine in it. I know fish is rich in L-lysine, but I'm not sure about other meats.
  • Crystal FoggCrystal Fogg Member Posts: 370
    edited 30 July, 2007
    If your really scared of Science Diet California Naturals would be a good recommendation. Here's a link to there site... http://www.californianaturalpet.com/products/default.asp?id=1425
  • Alana RobertsAlana Roberts BrooklynMember Posts: 758
    edited 30 July, 2007
    Science diet food has tested positive for acetaminophen, an owners cat died from eating it and the company was notified they did NOT do any recalls. Can't trust a company who doesn't put the health of their consumers first.
  • Diane WallineDiane Walline Hamlin (suburb of Rochester)Member Posts: 500
    edited 30 July, 2007
    When i was a little kitten i ate Purina Kitten chow. When i was older enough I switched to Purina cat chow indoor formula but i was definitly packing on the pounds. Mom happend to win a contest and got a \"year free\" of Science Diet (which ended up only being 12 $10 off coupons and 1 $4off coupon). Anyway, mom started off with the SD adult light and i was maintaining weight. She has also tried Hairball control light but me and Jewel always seemed to scarf down all our food at once. Now we are on regular hairball control and we love it. Jewel came into our house in March and her hair was like STRAW and she was a little underweight! Im not sure what they fed her, but since she was at a PetSmart Shelter mom thinks it was probably their brand of food. Now Jewels hair is nice and soft like mine and she doesnt look too skinny. Science Diet happens to be the one that our vet recommends but I know there are lots of other great kitty foods out there One time mom got a free trial bag of Fancy Feast Gourmet Gold Dry and I ended up getting constipated for a few days. It could have been a coincidence, or just the change from my regular food that backed me up. good luck in whatever kitty food you choose!
  • Michelle MelvilleMichelle Melville Member Posts: 96
    edited 30 July, 2007
    I think the best thing you can do for your kitty nutrition wise is to look at ingredients. Meat should be a primary ingredient. But, you also need to consider what the cat will eat. It's no good having a super duper food if the cat won't touch it. Thirdly, i think you will find that most cats, domestic and wild, will eat the gut of prey killed. They get nutrition from these semi digested plant proteins. I think you will find that this is why an amount of grain is included in a lot of foods.
  • Kim WashburnKim Washburn LouisvilleMember Posts: 1,057
    edited 30 July, 2007
    I realize there are tons more options on the market today than there used to be, but how many of these foods have special diets for us kitties who have diseases? Mommy would love to find a great food for us, but I have recurring urinary issues and just can't eat any food, no matter how "wonderful" the ingredients are. Hills does seem to manufacture many, many Rx foods and mommy has talked to our vet and our special vet a LOT about food and they have both done research. Both say there are some great foods out there, but many companies just don't make the specialized foods I need to eat. If anyone knows of a brand of dry food we can all eat that is special for urninary problems, please tell us. Mommy can't seem to find any.
  • Vanessa BobackVanessa Boback TampaMember Posts: 3,149
    edited 30 July, 2007
    Felix, I have heard that cranberries are good for the urinary tract, and Felidae wet food has cranberries. I'm not sure if the dry food does, because I already threw the bag away. Rasha is not a picky eater and will eat just about anything, but he loves it. Anything with cranberries or maybe a supplement in your food could help? And Hunter, I noticed you picked apart my post. I could do the same to you but I wont. All I will say is that I don't know why you are so loyal to a food company that uses by-products and low quality meats. I know PLENTY of people that have used Science Diet and their lives ended tragically with cancer or liver failure. I wasn't trying to push anyone to try the food that I use, but I wouldn't ever risk Rashas health and proper eduation may save the lives of other kitties also. By the way, it's not JUST SD, but any profit driven food company that uses cheap fillers at high prices.
  • Sharon MurphySharon Murphy SurreyMember Posts: 1,652
    edited 31 July, 2007
    Felix, have you tried Royal Canin Urinary SO? Apparently it's quite tasty for kitties. Alaidh has been eating Medi-Cal for almost all her life - she's 18. Royal Canin is made by the same company (Medi-Cal is only in Canada). If anyone picks apart Medi-Cal, go ahead...I'm not gonna listen...lol. Alaidh's been healthy all her life. As for Science Diet...no comment from me as I don't know enough about it, but my sister's cats eat it and they're healthy.
  • Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
    edited 31 July, 2007
    Felix; I eat Royal Canin Urinary So. But Mommy is searching for a food with better ingredients for my Interstitial Cystitis. Urinary SO is QUITE tasty....my little brother thinks it's the best thing since canned tuna! But Mommy TRIES to feed us separately. I have only been on this food since January but so far I haven't had a bladder infection yet! I was having them every 3-4 months....UGH! I also take Cosequin every day to help my bladder. Meow!
  • Alana RobertsAlana Roberts BrooklynMember Posts: 758
    edited 31 July, 2007
    If a cat has recurring UTI then dry food is not their best option, it doesn't have enough moisture! There are many good brands for UTI's look for low magnesium for starters on the label - avoid fish flavored foods as well - big no no! While I don't normally buy from them Purina Veterinary Diets UR St/Ox URinary Feline Formula Canned - first ingredient is Beef - something not found first in either Science Diet or Royal Canin.
2»