Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Raw food?

cat shepherdcat shepherd KnoxvilleMember Posts: 6,314
edited 17 February, 2006 in Food & Nutrition
Forgive me if this is an old topic ... but what is the deal with raw food? Why is it better for kitties? Mommy and I are curious about who is on this diet and if it has made a difference in your cats. We eat ProPlan and split a can of Friskies 3-4 ways twice a day.

Comments

• edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi Daisy, with the exception of Alanna, we all eat a raw diet. We strongly feel it is the best diet for a cat as it is what nature intended for us to eat. Commercial cat food has only been around for about 60 years or so yet cats have been around for thousands of years before that.... So what did they eat? Mice, birds, rabbits, moles, bugs, ect. Since a cat cannot cook for itself, these things were eaten raw. We are members of the family Feloidea and are considered to be obligate carnivores because we have strict requirements for certain nutrients that can only be found in animal tissue. We also have no dietary requirement for carbohydrates so a raw diet makes perfect sense. Everything about us was built to live off a raw meat diet, from the shape of our teeth down to our unique digestive response to carbs, fat and protein. Now, feeding raw is not for every cat parent, which is understandable. There\'s lots of reasons why a cat parents would not want to feed raw so thankfully there\'s alternatives like EVO and other high quality brands of food, perferably with no or a low content of grains. You asked about what improvements mom has seen since our complete transition. For Fallon, her constant eye discharge has all but cleared up. Mom only has to wipe her eyes once a week if that, compared to every day. She\'s also become more active, her muscle tone has improved considerably and her coat is very shiny and soft, compared to the oily fur and flakey skin she had. With Mira, mom has noticed her coat become glossy and soft, her eyes are brighter and the most important thing... Mira has something called Tritrichomonas(sp?) which is a type of protozoan which gives her constant diarrhea. There is no known treatment for Trich other than letting it run it\'s course which can take anywhere from 9 months to two years. Since being on the raw diet, her stools have firmed up considerably and she produces a lot less than she had been. With me, mom has noticed a disposition change, so I\'ve become a lot more affectionate, more tolerant of the other cats and I\'m not as aloof as I had been. Also, the little flab of skin that hung down from my tummy no longer dangles like a sand bag. With all of us, there\'s less stool production, we eat less, drink less(because we\'re getting our moisture from food) and we just look like healthier, happier cats! There\'s no other reason mom would spend 3 hours every two weeks to make our food if it wasn\'t beneficial to us. I think that kind of sums it up a bit. I of course could go on and on about our diet since it\'s one of our passions *grins* but I don\'t want to bore you. If you are interested in learning more we suggest reading \'Rasing Cats Naturally\' by Michelle Bernard and \'Natural Nutrition for Dogs & Cats\' by Kymythy Schultze. Also, http://www.catnutrition.org/ http://www.blakkatz.com/natural.html http://www.felinefuture.com/nutrition/ are good places on the net to read too.
  • Veronica NieburVeronica Niebur Member Posts: 49
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Well said Xavier. we are still new to raw but we sure do look and act and feel better. Mom says its worth the time and effort to make us live longer and healthier! she is getting a little obsessed reading everything she can find but we like it. Even Tiwaz is eating now even tho he gets a little beef on his for coaxing! Big purrrsss