Food Suggestions for Diabetic Kitty

Claire BrocatoClaire Brocato Encinitas/San DiegoMember Posts: 6,397
edited 2 August, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
Vincent was diagnosed with diabetes today. Our vet has recommended putting him on a special Hills diet formula for diabetic cats--along with daily insulin shots. I am not crazy about Hills and would prefer to explore other options if there are any. Does anyone know of any premium brands of food specifically for diabetic cats?

Comments

• Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 31 July, 2007
    I have diabetes, too. The best food for diabetic cats is a low carb canned food. No dry food at all because it will keep bgs high and prevent good regulation. Here is a chart that you can use to find low carb (10% or less) canned food: Canned food chart. Fancy Feast is a popular brand for diabetic cats. It's inexpensive and available in many low carb varities. I personally eat premium foods because I am very picky. Here is a very good web site to start learning all about feline diabetes and how to manage it: http://www.felinediabetes.com/index.html There is a message board there where you can ask lots of questions and get helpful advice.
  • dace krastsdace krasts SeattleMember Posts: 735
    edited 31 July, 2007
    I'm not diabetic but my person used to have a diabetic cat (many years ago). That cat required twice daily home testing, a very restricted diet, and twice daily insulin shots. Back then, the food was pure meat baby food (nothing else in there but meat). They bought in bulk for a discount and added the normal supplements for a healthy homemade cat food. Very simple and very successful. If my person had a diabetic cat now, that cat would be getting a homemade raw diet. Cooked could work too but since I'm on a homemade raw diet, my person would probably try sticking to raw for everyone. Granted, everyone might get a different version of the raw mixture but homemade would be answer. Controlling the diet is such an important part of controlling the diabetes, so homemade is the most assured way of doing that.
    edited 31 July, 2007
    Oh, RAW food is good for diabetics, too. It can be homemade of one of those commerically available frozen or freeze dried ones. Vincent, I will send you an invite to join a diabetes group.
  • Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
    edited 31 July, 2007
    Mommy's not a Hill's fan either. Royal Canin has a good Diabetic formula for cats. Royal Canin Diabetic DS 44 (Hopefully the link will work.....mom's been having issues!) Here's another site mommy found that looks like it has good info: Feline Diabetes & Carbohydrates
  • Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
    edited 31 July, 2007
    Mommy found a couple more: Click Here for Purina DM Diet Click Here for Iams Veterinary Optimum Weight Which is their Diabetic Formula.
  • carolyn nassifcarolyn nassif Member Posts: 116
    edited 31 July, 2007
    Science diet M/D and W/D are good. Also Purina D/M For a diabetic cat. Dot not be so worried about the ingredients in Science diet. I am a vet tech for 12 years and science diet prescription diets have saved many lives. When your kitty need s special diet you cant just got to Innova or wellness, they do not have diets that are for special needs. Science diet has been around along time, with so many natural and so called holisitc diets around, cats are in my opnion going to get worse by people trying to find a better food always. Stick with a company that has been around along time and is not just following the new trend. Royal canin is a great company too. Just my 2 cents. Vet tech 12 years. www.cathealthnurse.com
    edited 1 August, 2007
    Prescription food isn't necessary and isn't any better than regular canned food. A lot of vets push prsecription food and just don't know what the best diet for diabetics is. There's nothing magical about prescription food for diabetic cats. The vet who holds the patent for Purina DM even admits that the food isn't better for diabetic cats and that any low carb high protein food will work. Please, no dry food. Dry food is high in carbs and keeps blood glucose levels high. If you take a look at the FelineDiabetes.com message board, you'll find lots of people who initially fed their diabetic cats dry food only and could not get the diabetes regulated despite insulin dose increases. A change to only low carb canned food dropped blood glucose levels and insulin need almost right away. Many of these cats have gone off insulin and are now diet-controlled. I initially ate Purina DM dry food only and my blood glucose levels stayed in the 300+ range despite as much insulin as 5 units BID. A slow change to low carb canned food dropped my blood glucose levels to the 100's and my insulin dose to now just 1.5 units BID. I am well regulated now and my vet is very pleased with me =; Just my thoughts on food and diabetics :)
    edited 1 August, 2007
    OK, first off. To make a general blanket statement that vets push science diet is not fair. Vets do not make a dime off it. If they do it is a dime. I have been ordering it for vets for about 7 years when I worked for the vet. It is for convenience of the client. Look up the cold hard facts about things before making a statement that might injure cats. I have seen cats on c/d and w/d do well after they blocked over and over with a UTI as the owner was not feeding the cat a food that was for that disease. I have seen cats on M/d regualte and go off insulin. I have seen cats on purina d/m regulate and go off insulin. One thing about diabetes is its tricky and some cats are hard to regulate no matter what the diet. Other metobolic things can work against diabetes. I agree with lower carb food, but it is not the answer to it all. I have seen kidney cats on diets HIGH in protein as the owner was following a trend of high protein low carb low fat diet. That will kill a kidney cat. They need low protein. This is scientific fact. IS science diet the answer? Maybe not for everything. There is Purina and waltham as well that treat many things as well. If an owner is going off on there own and listening to other opinions that are not sure, I advice them to listen to their vet, if they are not comfortable with them, get a second opinion form another vet. I am a regular person who owns cats and has been a vet tech for 12 years, I run a cat sitting business and work for a feline house call service. I am in no way an indorcement for science diet. Although I may let them know how much I stand up for them. I believe in this company. I am very passionate about diets i have seen work and save lives. www.cathealthnurse.blogspot.com
    edited 2 August, 2007
    Cornell university feline health center. Here is link on Diabetes. Copy and paste in your browser. http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/diabetes.html please read the area on diet. It states that some cats do better on low carb diets and soem do better on hihg fiber diets. It depends on the weight of the cat as well. This is a great article on Diabetics cats.
  • Kate McCormickKate McCormick ColumbusMember Posts: 232
    edited 1 August, 2007
    Hi Vincent! After my Mommy adopted me from her boss (at the age of 4), I was diagnosed with diabetes. That was almost 13 years ago. Mommy\'s vet put me on Science Diet W/D Dry formula. I was only on the dry because, at that time, I did not like wet food. Mommy gave me 5cc\'s of insulin twice daily, as well as two bowls full of my W/D, and guess what? After years of being diabetic, it just stopped. I have not been diabetic since....but, I am still on W/D. Only, now that I am older, I eat the canned formula. I absolutely LOVE IT! My vet did not pressure me to buy it. It was simply the only food, at that time, that was made for kitties like me. It has obviously served me well. Purrs to you, JoJo
    edited 2 August, 2007
    JoJo, insulin is measured in units, not cc's. 5 cc's would be the same as 500 units, or 5 full 1 cc (1ml) syringes. Way, way too much insulin :-O Most felines only need a few units of insulin. Just an FYI. Now back to lurking.... *Poof! *:-#
  • Kate McCormickKate McCormick ColumbusMember Posts: 232
    edited 2 August, 2007
    On the syringe that the vet gave me, the dose said 5 cc's.
  • Jan AllenJan Allen DallasMember Posts: 2,596
    edited 2 August, 2007
    HI! I was on 1 unit of insulin in the morning and 1 unit in the afternoon. I was a very very picky eater and would not eat wet food. I ended up eating science diet dry. It was pretty strange, but I pretty much regulated myself what I ate and kept my levels pretty good. My blood sugar was 600 when they found out I was a diabetic. It was a pretty close call but I lived another 4 years. You must trust your vet. Cornell has lots of good information - good luck.