Feline Nutrition Poll

kate vonkkate vonk BoiseMember Posts: 1,313
edited 7 August, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
they started on of these over in the dogster forums and i think the catsters need one too since it's a great idea! so you name 1.) what you feed and why? 2.) 3 pros, 3 cons 3.) something that's a fun fact or tip about nutrition.

Comments

• kate vonkkate vonk BoiseMember Posts: 1,313
    edited 16 July, 2007
    i'll start. 1.) i feed innova EVO. it's grain free, high protein and the cats love it and they can all eat it. 2.) they eat a lot less. their coats are shiny. and they poo a lot less. cons, it's very expensive, it was hard to find at first and i have to go to a special store to buy it, big bags are a lot more economical but then i have to worry about it spoiling. 3.) mixing in a little homecooked meat on occassion makes meal time very enjoyable.
  • Pamela HaneyPamela Haney Old ForgeMember Posts: 893
    edited 16 July, 2007
    1.) what you feed and why? We all eat Blue Buffalo because Mommy liked the ingredients in it and it had NO affiliation with any contaminated food 2.) 3 pros, 3 cons Pros: It tastes good The ingredients are good for kitties Each bags usually has a coupon inside and a kitty trading card Cons: Not a lot of stores carry the brand Ants tend to like it too :) It can get kind of expensive 3.) something that's a fun fact or tip about nutrition. Renal failure is a common disease in cats. Having extra water bowls around your house helps encourage kitties to drink more water to help maintain healthy kidneys because cats will often drink just because they see water and not just because they are thirsty.
  • Karolyn WcisloKarolyn Wcislo Easton, PAMember Posts: 7,551
    edited 16 July, 2007
    1.) what you feed and why? Right now I feed Kirkland. I was feeding the dogs that as well, but they switched to raw. Kitty was going through wuite a bit of stresses so I didn't want to change her yet.. besides, i still have a lot. But we have started getting Some canned. We have been trying different ones (well, literally just started) She is about to finish up a can of Instinct and next is Welness. she liked the instinct so far. 2.) 3 pros, 3 cons Kirkland: Pros - price, not bad for the price, convenient Cons: Not the best.. that pretty much sums it up.. not bad, but not the best... New Foods: Pro: Will know better than when I get going with it, but the dogs have done great. Grain free (all I am trying) Coms: It is more expensive, btu she is a small cat... I can do it :) 3.) something that's a fun fact or tip about nutrition. have to say, when it comes to kitties, I have a lot to learn... she is my first furever kitty (I am taking her off the adoptable list - she is finally fitting in.. it's been a lOOOooong hard road)
  • Lianne StinsonLianne Stinson OakvilleMember Posts: 182
    edited 16 July, 2007
    1) I feed my crew Orijen dry, and rotate through a variety of wet foods (Merricks, Innova EVO, Felidae, Nature's Variety, ZiwiPeak, etc...). My cats love Orijen, its the only dry food that they all like. Plus it has great ingredients. I also feed a variety of wet food, to provide various protein sources and make sure that they get enough water intake. 2) pros - Less poop ;c; Super shiny coats. And lean strong muscles. My chunky monkey Turk, has stayed the same weight, but has better muscle tone and a leaner look since eating Orijen. He is so handsome:c9 cons - pretty pricey,it runs about $47 tax for a 15lbs bag. Only a few stores carry it. And my cats like it too much :)) 3) Cats are obligate carnivores. Which means they need meat to survive. A diet primarily of high quality meat is essential for their wellbeing.
  • alicia casteloalicia castelo Member Posts: 747
    edited 16 July, 2007
    I feed Nutro Natural choice weight loss managment because it helps them stay their normal weight. 3 pros: 1.keeps their hair and skin healthy 2.the ingrediants are excellent 3.their motabalism increases 3 cons: 1.tad bit expensive 2.very few sell it 3.runs out quickly I put some fancy feast in it to mix diffrent flavors in it.
  • Nanaho SawanoNanaho Sawano Member Posts: 108
    edited 17 July, 2007
    1. Our food pantry looks like this: DRY: Nature's Variety Raw Instinct, Innova Evo, Timberwolf Organics Serengeti, Ziwipeak Venison, and Wellness Core. WET: Innova Evo, Petguard Beef & Barley, Wellness (a few of the grainless varieties), Natural Balance Venison and Green Pea, some Merrick, Nature Organics, Nature's Variety, and Sold Gold Blended Tuna. 2. Pros- My human says it's as healthy a cat food diet as we can get without crossing the raw food/prepare it yourself hurdle. And investment that in the long run, she's betting, will save her money in the form of fewer vet visits for us, not to mention a better quality of life. Also, I've noticed it satisfies her own personal cat food shopping habit, MOL. 3. Cons ('Cause I can't think of any random facts right now...) - I've noticed my brother Trooper will pretty much eat everything. But me, I'm pretty picky. I think I'm getting a bit tired of the NV kibble, and I don't like the Wellness Core. Also, the only wet food I will eat is the Sold Gold one. So I pretty much think it's a waste of money. But hey, it's not my money... (Can't think of any others right now...)
    edited 17 July, 2007
    my mom has a habit of pet food shopping too (sh! don't tell)
  • Autumn GessertAutumn Gessert Amarillo, TXMember Posts: 333 ✭✭
    edited 17 July, 2007
    What we all eat & why: All four of us eat KumpiKat (dry) all day, it has good ingredients, is all American-made, and not involved in any recalls -- ever. We really like it, and we feel better, too, we like it better than our old food. We also eat Merrick's canned twice a day -- we split a little can for "snack" and a big one for supper. Same reasons, plus they do their own canning in their own plant here in town. We really like that, too -- all the flavors. Pros: Good ingredients, we all really like the tastes, and we are feeling much better than we were. All of us are more playful and happy, and you should see our coats! Cons: They're both kinda expensive, but not too much so. I calculated it out and it wasn't that much more per lb. than what we ate before. KumpiKat isn't sold here, so we have to get it online, but we buy the big bag and shipping is included in $$$; even though Merrick's is made right here, it is hard to find in town, so we order that from them directly online, too. their shipping is free. Random nutrition: We didn't know that cats could have food allergies (just didn't think about it). Changing their foods made a big difference to everybody, but especially to my brother Felix. Turns out what everyone (including vet) said was just dry skin/dandruff was food allergy! He doesn't itch anymore at all, and his dandruff is completely gone. We all shed a LOT less, too!
  • Tina MillicanTina Millican Pell CityMember Posts: 12,008
    edited 17 July, 2007
    1. I feed by Nature Adult Formula and since we have a foster kitten, I mix some of their kitten food with it. Switching to the Organic line once this bag runs out since Petsmart carries it now. 2. Pros: Great ingredients for the price, cats love it, convenient since I go to Petsmart every weekend anyway. Their canned food is great too! Cons: A tad grainy than I'd like, the dog loves it as much as the cats do, and... um... that's all I can think of.
  • Ingrid BaerIngrid Baer Red DeerMember Posts: 149
    edited 18 July, 2007
    1.) All three of us kitties get RAW, the preground stuff from the store. 2.) Pros: It's more "natural," more what we would eat in the wild No carbs, more moisture, no preservatives and junk We LOVE it, and it's turning out to be a great way to cool down this summer; mom gives it to us when we're all laying about miserable, and we perk right up Cons: Costly Takes some getting used to (not so much the raw meat part, but you gotta learn when to start thawing out a pack or else you'll run out and the new pack is still too frozen to feed) Sometimes when mom goes to get more, the formula she feeds (chicken) is all out and she has to go with Beef instead. That wouldn't be bad, since me and Willow like it, but Buffy's such a picky diva and it takes her a few days to even start eating it 3.) Hmmm. All that pops into mind right now is that, due to the cat's (and dog's) shorter digestive tract, they're meant to eat raw meat. Humans have long digestive tracts, so raw meat would fester for ages, but with cats and dogs, the meat basically goes in and out. So, as a result, the worries about salmonella poisoning and bacteria are unfounded, unless you don't practice safe hygiene methods.
  • Sharon BraatenSharon Braaten Great BarringtonMember Posts: 842
    edited 18 July, 2007
    We eat Solid Gold Katz-N-Flocken dry food and a variety of wet foods - Merrick, Wellness, Solid Gold and Pet Guard Organics. I am not a huge fan of wet food and will only eat certain flavors, which mom is still trying to figure out. 3 PROS: Katz-N-Flocken's main ingredient is lamb meat. It is very high quality and we are all in great shape with beautiful shiny coats. It is a food we all love to eat, and we actually eat less than the Natural Choice we used to get. 3 CONS: It is not always easy to find, although there are 2 stores in my town that carry it now. Huh, I guess there's only one con! Nutrition tip: It is very important for a cat to ingest water with its food, as the cat does not have a very strong thirst drive. This is a critical point. This lack of a strong thirst drive leads to low-level, chronic dehydration when dry food makes up the bulk of their diet. Cats are designed to obtain most of their water with their diet since their normal prey contains approximately 75 percent water. Dry foods only contain 10 percent water whereas canned foods contain approximately 78 percent water. Canned foods therefore more closely approximate the natural diet of the cat and are better suited to meet the cat’s water needs.
  • Lindsay PoveromoLindsay Poveromo Winter SpringsMember Posts: 350
    edited 19 July, 2007
    1. We eat Innova EVO because it does not contain grains and it is very high in protein. We used to eat Wellness, but that really bothered our tummies. 2. Pro's: We get full faster and therefore mom doesn't have to go through as much food. I was underweight and not gaining any weight until the EVO and now I'm finally at my ideal weight. We're all getting some great muscles. Our coats are so shiny and smooth. Okay, that was four pro's, but we love our Innova. Con's: Mom can only find Innova around here when she drives downtown for 35-40 minutes there, and then 35-40 minutes back. It makes most sense to buy a huge bag, but it goes badly quicker now that we're not eating as much. Yeah, it's more expensive but mom really can't complain -- only the best for her furbabies. One fun nutrition tip: Don't forget the occasional meat treats! Us cats need meat, too! Also, mom gives us one can of wet food a week with L-Lysine in it to help strengthen or immune systems and keep us strong and healthy.
    edited 20 July, 2007
    yay, EVO %:D% we love it!
  • Karyn LehmannKaryn Lehmann redlandsMember Posts: 247
    edited 25 July, 2007
    1) we eat Natures Variety Instinct dry, & a variety of canned foods, we rotate with Merrick, Wellness, Instinct and Tiki Cat. 2) pros- no chemicals, by-products, fillers or grains. We are silky shiny and not too terribly stinky in the box 3) cons- being meat fed we think we are wild and we try to break out of the house whenever a door is opened. 4) interesting fact. hmmmmm we prefer the unfiltered yucky tap water to the lovely filtered fountain. silly us!
  • Karolyn WcisloKarolyn Wcislo Easton, PAMember Posts: 7,551
    edited 25 July, 2007
    Kitkland Dry (while we still have some.. it was a huge bag!) We are trying out cans, and so far we tried Instinct and Wellness. I liked them both. My next one to try is EVO... if I like them all, mom may just rotate.... Not pro's and cons yet... not fed on them long enough... for the Kirkland: Pro's GREAT price Cons: Not the best (or worst) cat food out there... trying to feed more naturally...
  • Lorraine BrinerLorraine Briner Member Posts: 4,098
    edited 27 July, 2007
    We always have a bowl of dry kibble available for munching on when we're hungry. We do well on Felidae Chicken and Rice formula. I have an allergy to any food with fish in it, so the Felidae fits the bill nicely! Pros: Really affordable and great quality! Us kitties seem to enjoy it very much! Cons: none that I can see. We also eat a variety of canned food - Evanger's being our favorite, but we also get canned Merrick's and Wysong and Felidae and Nature's Variety. This is where we get the variety in our diet. Yum! We LOVE canned food time! Pros: Very appetizing to the cats! Lots of varieities to choose from (believe it or not, it's easier to find a canned food with no fish in it than it is to find a kibble with no fish in it!) Cons: All the cans to get rid of and the smell of canned food isn't too palatable to the hooMom! ;) And sometimes we get Nature's Variety raw medallions. We share those with the dogs in the house. Pros: Easy to feed - no fuss, no muss with raw meat. Cans: Must be kept frozen and you have to plan when you're feeding them to make sure you have some out of the freezer to thaw for the next day.
  • Christina mansellChristina mansell Member Posts: 5,778
    edited 31 July, 2007
    1.) what you feed and why? I have been feeding Solid gold Katz n flockn for the past week now Why? Becuase it came in a 4.4 lb bag when innova evo and other brands only came in 3 lb bags. 2.) 3 pros, 3 cons Pro's 1. Its cheaper than the other brands 2. They eat alot less 3. Seem to go potty less and less stinky Cons 1. Pricey 2. Hard to find 3. No place carrys large bags 3.) something that's a fun fact or tip about nutrition. Cats nibble and eat up to 20 times per day. If not controlled thats why its better to feed them 2 times a day.
  • Erin DoxseeErin Doxsee Member Posts: 7
    edited 7 August, 2007
    I eat Felidae dry food and Chicken Soup wet food. I get 1/4 of the wet food in the evening, and 1 cup of dry food sits out for me to munch on all day long. Pros 1. I LOVE the wet food. I never had wet food until this. Dry food is tasty too! 2. I didn't think it was possible, but I am getting even more handsome. Hard to believe, I know. 3. I don't eat anywhere near as much, and I use the litter box a lot less as well. Cons 1. Only one so far. My mum bought me a huge bag of the Felidae because I am such a pig, but now that I don't eat as much, she's worried it'll take me a year to get through it! Hopefully it doesn't spoil! :?