How Often Wet Food? :-k

Ima KittenIma Kitten Nacogdoches, TXMember Posts: 164
edited 8 August, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
So I wanted to have the same bag of kitten food the foster mom used so that the transition would be easier. So, we bought Eukanuba - Kitten. Once the bag is done I'm looking to maybe change, (both dogs eat Wellness but I'd like to find something in my community that's just as good for the cat because the dogs finish a bag a month perfectly so the food doesn't get spoiled for our hour trip to get another bag- I see myself buying too much & having it go to waste for the cat). Haha, TMI! :)) I keep reading how highly recommended it is for cats to eat wet food but what I was wondering is how often is appropriate? Everyday isn't an option - I was thinking maybe once a week, but wanted to gauge what the "norm" is for people :D

Comments

• Cherise ReeseCherise Reese AustinMember Posts: 128
    edited 23 July, 2007
    I feed my cats wet food twice a day. They used to just get dry kibble, but I switched them to wet on the advice of my vet. I feed them Innova EVO canned and they love it.
  • Autumn GessertAutumn Gessert Amarillo, TXMember Posts: 333 ✭✭
    edited 23 July, 2007
    We eat a lot more canned than any of Mom's earlier cats did. Mom has been increasing it because her vet told her (and she has read) that its better for our kidneys and bladder and stuff. But we still love our kibble -- so we also eat KumpiKat kibble, too. Right now we (all four of us, we split it) have a small can (3.2 oz) of Merrick's for snack, and a big can (5.5 oz) of Merrick's for supper, every day. But we have our kibble available to us all day, and we still eat plenty of it! Until she started doing this, though, for many, many years she just gave each of her cats 1/2 big can of canned food every other day (with kibble around all the rest of the time). They had really nice coats, were healthy, and lived a long time. Purrs, Tommy
  • kate vonkkate vonk BoiseMember Posts: 1,313
    edited 23 July, 2007
    we used to get one canned meal a day and one kibble meal a day but our mom has been slacking lately and only giving us kibble (her schedule keeps changing and kibble is easier for her right now). but we love our canned food and hopes she starts mixing some in again!
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 23 July, 2007
    I eat only canned f ood :) Canned food is better for us so try to eat mostly canned food if you can. Dry food is, well, dry, and the lack of noisture can lead to UTI problems and other health problems later in life. Maybe you can eat half canned food and half dry food. Canned food is appropriate to eat every day, not just once in awhile. Be careful, though. Some canned food are not complete meals, only supplements. Sheba is one brand. There is a very tiny disclaimer on the can which most Humans won't see.
  • Ima KittenIma Kitten Nacogdoches, TXMember Posts: 164
    edited 23 July, 2007
    That's interesting that some brands hide that it's a suppliment rather than a complete meal so small. Considering my lack of experience in this department, I thank you for bringing that to my attention. Also, thank you to everyone who has left a short note on their own regimens of wet food - it's really been an eye-opener. In a week I'm going in for my boosters & will ask the vet his opinion & then weigh in on your responses to pitch in some wet food into my diet.
  • Emma MendiolaEmma Mendiola Suisun CityMember Posts: 59
    edited 24 July, 2007
    When Mom's being good, Zelda and I split a 5.5oz can of California Natural or Innova Evo a day. When she's being lazy, we split a can in in 2 days.
  • Lianne StinsonLianne Stinson OakvilleMember Posts: 182
    edited 26 July, 2007
    We get feed dry and wet every day. Our morning and night meals are Orijen dry and then when our parents get home from work we get our wet food. With three of us, wet food can get expensive so one 5.5 ounce can of wet food lasts us two days. We usually get Merricks, Felidae, Innova or Evangers.
  • Lorraine BrinerLorraine Briner Member Posts: 4,098
    edited 27 July, 2007
    HooMom feeds us a can of wet food everyday ( a mix of Evanger's, Merricks, NV, and Felidae). She times it so we're eating when she's giving the dog, Stormie his medicine. Otherwise, we pest her for the cream cheese pill balls she's making for the dog! =;
  • Stephanie ChangtuStephanie Changtu Miami Fl,Member Posts: 883
    edited 30 July, 2007
    I eat wet food every single day. It\'s better for me I eat three times a day. It\'s good for me and it\'s yummy but I like dry better wich mommy does not want to give me becouse she says I\'m too fat and wants to put me in a diet.:q|^|:)):^::P::o|bb||:|;P:q:q:q:q
  • Vanessa BobackVanessa Boback TampaMember Posts: 3,149
    edited 31 July, 2007
    Rasha eats wet food everyday, I just set a can out and it's usually gone. I also keep his mixture of Wellness, Felidae and Orijen dry food available all the time. He eats a mix between Innova Evo, Evangers and Felidae canned food with the occasional canned mackerel or egg mixed in. He has a very strong stomach and likes the variety. There are other great foods out there also. Canned food is the best for your cat because it goes through less processing then kibble, but if you cannot afford it, try giving half a can a day with kibble or even one third. Make sure to keep refrigerated and don't let it in there for more than a few days. :D Good Luck!:^:
  • kate vonkkate vonk BoiseMember Posts: 1,313
    edited 31 July, 2007
    mom felt bad about leaving us while she was on vacation so on friday we got both of our meals from a can!
  • Katina VentimigliaKatina Ventimiglia HUDSONMember Posts: 36
    edited 31 July, 2007
    Before Cookie became pregnant i would give her wet food twice a day everyday. Since pregnancy and birth she's been getting 3 times a day everyday on top of the dry food.
  • Alana RobertsAlana Roberts BrooklynMember Posts: 758
    edited 1 August, 2007
    My cats get two tins of wet food a day and two handfuls of dry. When I foster kittens I tend ot give them as much wet food as they will eat feeding them 4 times a day. I would switch to Wellness over Eukeneuba though, better quality and the cats like it more!
  • michele guerreromichele guerrero Member Posts: 162
    edited 2 August, 2007
    I get fed a half of a small can of wet food everyday and I scarf it down in about 2 minutes!!! I love it. Now after reading your posts, maybe I should bug my mom to feed it to me twice a day, or use bigger cans.
  • Glenda ChangGlenda Chang MiamiMember Posts: 9
    edited 6 August, 2007
    We get a 5.5 ounce can for me and my sister three times a day. We get cranky if we don't get fed canned food three times a day!
  • Nanaho SawanoNanaho Sawano Member Posts: 108
    edited 8 August, 2007
    I'm personally a kibble cat myself, but I'm learning to eat wet food, ever since my human decided I needed to lose a little weight and cut down on it. Generally, the kibble is out all the time, and then the human splits a 5.5 oz can between me and Trooper twice a day. It seems she shouldn't bother, she should give us both just half that amount, as there's always food left over, but I guess the human keeps on hoping our wet food appetite will pick up...
  • Lisa BLisa B Western WashingtonMember Posts: 129
    edited 8 August, 2007
    We eat wet food (1/3 of the bigger can for each of us) twice a day. Once before mom and dad go to work and the second time while they are eating dinner. Mom just switched us to Wellness wet food and we LOVE it. We also have dry food out all the time but dad says that if it's gone right before they go to bed, he's not going to give us any cause everytime they put fresh dry food into our bowls, we start going crazy and run around the house. So we usually get our bowls filled in the mornings after we have been given our wet food.