Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Eosinophilic Granuloma and still a UTI?

LeAnna WilkersonLeAnna Wilkerson Kansas CityMember Posts: 85 ✭✭
edited 13 August, 2007 in Cat Health
Hi effurryone. Sorry in advance if this is long... Meowmy is worried about me today. She woke up this afternoon (She works nights) and I have a pinkish yellow nodule on my bottom lip! I\'ve been on Clavamox for a UTI for a little over a week now. Meowmy wondered if this might be a bad side effect 0f the Clavamox so she immediately went online to check and found out that it isn\'t. She took some pictures of my lip and called my grandmeowmy (I lived with her before my Meowmy) to ask if I\'d ever had this kinda thing before, which I haven\'t. So... she went back online and found pictures of other kitties with nodules that look just like mine. They all have Eosinophilic Granuloma. So, meowmy called the ER vet and described my mouth to them. They said that it sounds like I have that too. They said if I get worse to bring me in, but the fact that I\'m already on antibiotics is a good thing. Meowmy is going to take me in to see my vet on Monday. I hate the vet!!! Anyway, I\'m acting the same as I was before this, still eathing my crunchies, drinking, and playing like normal. Meowmy is trying to figure out what I might be allergic to that would cause this condition. She had a package of bottled water on the floor and I kept insisting on licking it, I love to do that! Could that be the cause?? We don\'t know. She put the package of water in another room just in case. I don\'t go outside and I\'m not eating a new food. Riley and I have been on California Natural since right after the pet food recall happened. Does any one else have an idea as to what might cause this? From what meowmy has read this is treated by removing the allergen and steroids. Does that sound correct? As for my UTI, Meowmy isn\'t sure that it\'s better because when she came home from work this morning there was pee on her bed! However, my urine smells less strong and is more of a clear yellowish color. Meowmy was hoping that I would stop peeing on the bed now that I\'m on antibiotics. Have they not had enough time to work or should I have meowmy talk to the vet about possibly switching to Baytril? Meowmy and I would really appreciate any other cats thoughts. She will take me to the vet on Monday (Unless I get worse and then I\'m going to the ER), but would feel better if she could hear from other kitties that might know about this. Many purrs and thanks, Jasper P. Cat

Comments

• edited 25 June, 2007
    bump.:D
  • Marta GasperMarta Gasper FairburyMember Posts: 636
    edited 25 June, 2007
    How are you doing Jasper? We don't know what to tell you to your questions so hopefully the vet had a good answer..and we hope you are better, UTI's are no fun, neither is EG
  • LeAnna WilkersonLeAnna Wilkerson Kansas CityMember Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited 27 June, 2007
    I\'m doing much better.. thanks. The vet gave me a shot of steroids which made my swollen lip much smaller. There is still some swelling, but the vet said that the shot works over three weeks, so in that time it should be back to normal. As for my UTI, the vet gave me another two weeks of Clavamox and increased it to twice a day, so hopefully that will work!!! I\'ll keep ya posted though. Jasper P. Cat
  • PJ UnkelPJ Unkel Member Posts: 11
    edited 8 August, 2007
    Jasper, please have your mommy get some D-Mannose (a natural supplement) and give you about 1/4 teaspoon four times a day. Make sure it is pure D-Mannose mind. No fillers allowed. Mommy bought me something called Clear-Tract from one of her favorite on line places, but she has seen the NOW brand at a far better price and will probably buy that next times she gets any. Mommy takes this as well, and hasn't had to see a doctor or use antibiotics becuase of her darn UTI's in about two years.
  • carolyn nassifcarolyn nassif Member Posts: 116
    edited 8 August, 2007
    Even thought the UTI is clearing up due to antibiotics, your cat could still be feeling a burning sensations while urinating causing her to uninate in strange places. Baytril is not always better for a UTI. Ve tech. www.cathealthnurse.blogspot.com
  • LeAnna WilkersonLeAnna Wilkerson Kansas CityMember Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited 12 August, 2007
    For the past six weeks I have been doing good. My Eosinophillic Granuloma is completely gone and I hadn\'t peed on Meowmy\'s bed at all, but a few days ago I peed on it again. Meowmy got a sample and took it to the vet. Unfortunately my vet said I have a UTI again. This time he prescribed Amoxi-Tabs 100mg twice a day. I really don\'t like these pills. Meowmy is having a hard time getting me to take them. She\'s getting them down me though. Meowmy doesn\'t really think my UTI cleared up during those six weeks. She thinks I didn\'t pee on the bed during that time because she was home from school and work sick with Mono. I only pee on her bed when she leaves the house. I\'ve had several issues with my bathroom habits. I only use the litter box sometimes. I almost always poop somewhere other than the litterbox and now I\'m peeing outside it too!! Sometimes meowmy wonders if this is a mix between a behavioral issue and a medical issue. She read about giving Buspar to cats to help with the behavioral side, but after talking with Hunter she\'s gonna try a new litter box and getting this UTI cleared up first. The vet had said that if the Amoxi-Tabs didn\'t clear the UTI up this time he wants to get X-rays to check for bladder stones. Again, after talking with Hunter she\'s decided to get those now. Hopefully tomorrow actually. Also, our vet didn\'t culture the urine, so if I pee on the bed again, meowmy will get a sample and have the vet culture it to see if this really is the best medicine instead of just continuing to give me different meds. This is all really frustrating for both me and meowmy. I feel bad when I go outside my box and I know meowmy does too. I hope that we can get this solved because I know it will make both of us happier. Cinder, meowmy is going to check now about the D-Mannose, thanks for suggesting it. Any other thoughts or more advice are greatly appreciated. Purrs, Jasper P. Cat
  • Roxann RobbinsRoxann Robbins Member Posts: 3,268
    edited 13 August, 2007
    Just sending purrrrs of comfort to you...from one orangie to another. purrrr purr purrrrrr, Little Red