Chasing kitten and pinning him down?

Kristen HKristen H Member Posts: 29
edited 14 August, 2007 in Choosing the Right Cat
Ok, Asher's mom here again. Sorry but I don't know where else to go to get help with this! So I let the kitten out just a few minutes ago and Asher started chasing the kitten around the living room while meowing at him and when he caught up with the kitten he pinned him down with his mouth. He did this 2 times. The kitten rolled over on its back and didn't move but he didn't look like he was being hurt. I put the kitten up for now and Asher is walking around the house meowing constantly. Does anyone know what Asher was trying to do? I'm afraid he was trying to hurt him.

Comments

• Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 14 August, 2007
    Asher's mom: Probably Asher was just telling the kitten "I am top cat here" - just his way of establshing dominance. Certainly if he was hurting the kitten the kitten would have hollered, and you woud have heard Asher growling. Asher is probably wondering why the kitten left so quickly when the was only trying to let him know who was boss. But, good for you to keep a close eye on them. It is never good to let a cat know it is okay to hurt a kitten or another cat. Emma's meowmy - Faye:-h
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 14 August, 2007
    Emma explained it pretty well. Mommy says that it was all posture and no actual hurting: if the kitten had been hurt at all, you would have heard really high pitched cries, and he would have darted off to hide and lick his wounds, so to speak. A kitten's cry is pretty heartrendering, so you wouldn't have missed it. You did well though, Asher's mom. I think three times was enough to establish dominance for Asher, and hopefully separating them tells them both "That's enough working this out already, I say you both play nice or don't play at all". Of course they might do it again for a few days, but the kitten's exposing his belly tells you that hopefully this won't go on much longer (it would take longer if the kitten refused to submit). You know the situation best though, so you keep them separated as long as it takes.
  • Donna LenzDonna Lenz BethelMember Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭
    edited 14 August, 2007
    MOL!!!!!!!!!!! He is telling him that he loves him, and his meowing means he wants him back out! Morgan LOVES ME To pieces! He flattens me, washes me, grabs my neck until I play big baby and howl for Mom. As soon as he lets me go, I go right back and head butt him and ash him back. Mom just says Morgan - Gentle - and he lets me go. The fact that he's doing that - is a good thing! If he was hissing and swatting like Max does to me - is not good. Mom also gives me time outs in my crate when I get too crazy with the big kittys or the dogs. I just get a half hour in my big doggy crate, and after I nap I am happy and not as crazy.
  • Melissa RyanMelissa Ryan Fall RiverMember Posts: 401
    edited 14 August, 2007
    I agree that your older kitty is probably just showing who's boss w/ the tackling. My guess is that it's a good possibility that your adult cat didn't "start it"...kittens tend to taunt older cats to try to get some wrestling time in. Your kitty could have said, "you wanna play? You think you're tough? Let's go then!" and pinned him down. Kittens are in a learning stage and rough-housing is part of it. They need to learn to fight and hunt and jump and everything else in between. Playing and wrestling with other kitties could just be him learning what to do. Unless your little guy is howling, there shouldn't be anything to worry about. A howl means he's being hurt and/or he's afraid.
  • Donna LenzDonna Lenz BethelMember Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭
    edited 14 August, 2007
    I howl to get Mom! Morgan never ever hurts me - but if he holds me down for too long I howl bloody murder. Morgan lets me up, and I go right over and head butt him purring my furry little heart out.