Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

PetGuard Food?

Sarah WeedenSarah Weeden WinnipegMember Posts: 527
edited 1 March, 2006 in Food & Nutrition
Has anyone ever tried PetGuard foods before? They look good, a little grain heavy, but good. So, any opinions or thoughts? Here is their website: petguard.com

Comments

• Sarah WeedenSarah Weeden WinnipegMember Posts: 527
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Scratch that. I was skimming through their ingredients and turns out that they have menadione in their food. Won\'t be feeding that, thank you very much.
  • Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi, Willow. PetGuard was recommended to me by two holistic veterinarians with experience in nutrition, for use when I don\'t eat raw (i.e. maybe once every 6-8 weeks when the human messed up and ran out of raw). She\'s done a lot of research into nutrition herself, and she\'s never seen anything about menadione. Can you shed some light on what you\'ve heard about it?
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Sure, Hattie. Here is a list of effects of menadione on the body. It is incomplete, though: -causes cytotoxicity in liver cells -causes formation of radicals from enzymes of leucocytes, with the consequence of cytotoxic reactions -considerably weakens the immune system -possible mutagenic effects -damages the natural vitamin K cycle -has no effect on coumarin derivatives, which are often present in commercial food due to mold contamination (toxic when ingested) -causes hemolytic anemia and hyperbilirubinemia, not just linked to large doses -disturbs the level of calcium ions (Ca2+) in the body, which is an important factor fibrinolysis -is directly toxic in high doses (vomiting, albuminuria), unlike natural vitamin K -builds up in tissue and has been detected in eggs, meat and milk of animals supplemented with menadione derivatives -causes irritation of skin and mucous membranes -causes allergic reactions and eczema Hope this helps.
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    Willow, can you share the source of that list? Thanks!
    edited 27 February, 2006
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    Thank you! That looks like a great website with lots of interesting information. I think this page would be particularly helpful for humans who want to learn why there is a difference between premium foods and what you find at the supermarket.
  • Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks, Willow and Alex. I wasn\'t aware of this, so it\'s great to get the additional information! I guess we\'ll be more cautious in the future. Maybe stay with PetGuard as a little flavoring \"side dish\" to the raw food once in a while, maybe a half teaspoon a meal, but never have it as a whole meal. We only have it around for emergencies, anyway. She was really freaked out by Hurricane Katrina, and she bought canned food for me and herself in case our power went out. I think she breaks into it from time to time when a can gets near the expiration date.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    That sounds fine, Hattie. That's great that your mommy is so concerned about. : )
  • November OchoaNovember Ochoa San DiegoMember Posts: 51
    edited 1 March, 2006
    Oh wow, my mom was feeding me Pet Guard for awhile there. It was the only good canned food she could find here (better than Science diet and Friskies which is all they seem to have) but they are so inconsistent at the supermarket that they are out of stock right now. She has been giving me Gerber as a treat...is this a good idea? I was doing well on a strict diet but it's so hard with limited supplies. Anyway, my mom emailed the Pet guard people when she wanted to find out how many calories their canned food had. They wrote back right away and were very helpful. Maybe you could write them and ask if they have food without that bad stuff since they have a variety of canned food.