Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Eating and killing other animals

Erron SpiegelErron Spiegel Oshkosh,WIMember Posts: 5
edited 26 August, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
My cat kills mice mostly and sometimes rabbits leaves at our patio.once got us each a mouse and lined them up perfectly and evenly spaced.and i was wondering if this was common???

Comments

• edited 2 August, 2007
    Yep, Midnight does this and sometimes little ol'e Tiger. They say the animal is giving you a gift.
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 3 August, 2007
    This is Delyte. We black cats are killers! When I was young, I caught my first mouse, and carefully skinned it, leaving the skin in one pile and the remaining stuff in another, but I ate the eyes. Fortunately I have not felt like I had to do this ever again. The vet says eating these kills is extremely bad for us, as most of them have lots of parasites. Most cats seem to bring part of their kill to their people as a present, and are not happy when the people get upset and throw out the perfectly good food! ;)
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 August, 2007
    From the purrson's point of view: Do you know what's worse than finding a dead mouse? Finding half a dead mouse! ::o
  • Shellie DeanShellie Dean BadenMember Posts: 330
    edited 3 August, 2007
    Maybe there is something worse--my meowmy's best human friend has a kitty named Cosmo that really likes to bring her "presents". One night she woke up to find a very frightened LIVE mouse in her bed, under the covers!!::o:))!:))!:))!:))!:))!
  • Crystal FoggCrystal Fogg Member Posts: 370
    edited 5 August, 2007
    Thats my Little Kitty (mommy hasn't had enough time to get her picture up yet.) She likes to catch things particularlly mice, but never eats them. She finds them far more enjoyable to play with. The poor little things usually end up having a heart attack if mommy doesn't find them while they are still alive.
  • kate vonkkate vonk BoiseMember Posts: 1,313
    edited 5 August, 2007
    we're jealous. we never go outside so we never get to kill mice. the best we can do is to hunt a few bugs.
  • Erron SpiegelErron Spiegel Oshkosh,WIMember Posts: 5
    edited 15 August, 2007
    Thanks evryone 4 posting.we have one flatened animal on our patio my dad wont get rid of.I named him mousey so Berlioz must be happy we haven't got rid of him once again thanks for posting:)
  • Dayna MatthewsDayna Matthews LondonMember Posts: 277
    edited 15 August, 2007
    lol Same here Oscar! Bugs for me too!:))!%:D% My daddy had a cat before I came along, and he caught two mice lined them up and had stuck a claw in each. He stabbed them with one claw which killed them and left them side by side. What a neat gift he left daddy. lol=;
  • Jana PhillipsJana Phillips RaleighMember Posts: 846
    edited 15 August, 2007
    Consider yourself lucky! When a cat brings you a dead animal (or partially dead MOL) they are offering you a gift....they are allowing you (and serving you) some of their "kill." So thoughtful, aren't they? :-k hehe
  • Forrest JenkinsForrest Jenkins Member Posts: 439
    edited 15 August, 2007
    My extremely thoughtful favorite cat from years past (the first cat that ever decided to own me to the exclusion of all others) once bashed down the bathroom door where I was in the tub, and deposited a decapitated Cardinal onto the side! I screamed because she scared me half to death, AND because all of a sudden there was bird blood all over the bathroom. I felt bad because she looked so upset by my reaction at her very generous present. Mine now are indoors due to unsatisfactory outdoor conditions--violent, off-leash dogs, raccoons, etc. But they love it when my husband and I join the chase after bugs in the house!
  • Kim WashburnKim Washburn LouisvilleMember Posts: 1,057
    edited 16 August, 2007
    I have eaten two mousies at foster dad's house. They came in through his mudroom and were in the kitchen at night. My foster mom and foster dad were very proud of me. They wanted to get rid of the mousies, but didn't want to kill them with traps. She feels bad killing things. I mean, the mousie's died anyway, and mommy thinks it's terribly scary for the mousie when I hunt it down, but she admits that is what kitties do. I eat them all except one part. Mommy thinks it's the intestines and liver, but she's not 100% sure. I just know that part is yucky.
  • Kim WashburnKim Washburn LouisvilleMember Posts: 1,057
    edited 16 August, 2007
    We never get mice here at mommy\'s but I often take her one of my toy mice and drop it on her lap. I have a certain meow I do when I leave the mouse too. She always tell me I\'m a good kitty. Wonder what she\'d do if I ever took her a real one. :-/
  • Erron SpiegelErron Spiegel Oshkosh,WIMember Posts: 5
    edited 16 August, 2007
    I was at my cousins birthday party and when we came home...this is kinda gross...My dad said Berlioz had a rabbits head and was i think eating not sure and my dad yelled at him he picked it up and carried away..He loves to hunt.
  • Kate ThornburgKate Thornburg Member Posts: 63
    edited 20 August, 2007
    I hunt all of the time. But I dont bring it to my mommie, I like to eat it, but then my mommies mommie comes screaming ou tof the house and buries the halfeaten mouse
  • Alison BizzulAlison Bizzul UrbanaMember Posts: 1,047
    edited 24 August, 2007
    About a month or two after we got Pen we went on vacation and left her at home. She did just what you are talking about. The first thing that our pet sitter saw when she walked into the house were four dead mice all lined up in the front hallway. Boy, was she freaking out. I think Pen was scared that we abandoned her or something and was giving us presents to make up! :))
  • Wayne johnsonWayne johnson Western SydneyMember Posts: 20
    edited 25 August, 2007
    The Guiness hunts feral birds, mice, rats and small children. The Guiness used to love ripping birds apart on the Pool Table and stashing bits in the pockets. Then , the big fella started taking it off me if I bought it into the house. So the big fella leaves special secluded spots in the garden that are now lined with feathers & mouse bits. The big fella doesn't disturb these so I feel safe to eat there. I also get rewarded for killing pests and don't get the extra reward if I bring it into the house. I also get wormed really regular as well and flea treated. The Guiness has it all and is master of all he roams. Now where is the big fella with the Wild Turkey . A cat gets thirsty typing you know.
  • Kate McCormickKate McCormick ColumbusMember Posts: 232
    edited 25 August, 2007
    Back when I was a little boy, and still allowed outside, I would bring large grasshoppers inside, and stack them in the shape of a pyramid. Also left my first owner a bird\'s head on his pillow...sort of \'Godfather\' like, don\'t ya think? Now, I\'m only allowed to conquer rollie-pollies and ladybugs. However, in my old age, I\'m far too picky to put something like that in my mouth, so I generally just tire them out to death and wait for Mommy to sweep them up! :D
  • Donna LenzDonna Lenz BethelMember Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 August, 2007
    I bring Mom and Dad lots of presents on the roof, on the deck, and at the doors. I bring mice - they LOVE the live ones - it's fun to see Mom climb on the roof at 5:30 AM in pajamas to catch a mouse. I bring moles and I leave the heads for Mom. Sometimes a bird or two - but mice are my specialty.
  • Mary ComminsMary Commins AntiochMember Posts: 55,502
    edited 26 August, 2007
    Where we used to live we had a screened in back porch. Mice used to get in there in the fall. I used to catch em (I am a mighty hunter!!) and leave the dead headless :-O bodies on my pawrents bed! Mom was always afraid that I would do this in the middle of the night!! But I never did. Hard to hunt when you are asleep!! :)) Mom read that cats bring their humans "gifts" like this because we think they are too stoopid to hunt and someone has to supply the food!!! :))
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 26 August, 2007
    This is Delyte. We used to have mice coming inside during the winter all the time, and we used to catch and kill as many as we could. The first time I caught a mouse, I dissected it completely and spread all the components out on the floor. They don't think I ate any of it but it was too yucky to check! Since then I have not eaten any, and usually my person takes it away from me, sometimes when it's still alive. Boo! Since Stella has arrived we haven't seen any indoor mice, which is a shame since she is a very energetic hunter, and we'd make a good team. Our vet doesn't like the idea of us eating any prey, and says that we would have to have extra shots and medication from eating germy, parasite-filled things. Do any of your vets feel the same?