Introducing new kitten to resident cat?

Kristen HKristen H Member Posts: 29
edited 6 September, 2007 in Choosing the Right Cat
Asher's mom here. We've had Asher since he was 6 mos old. He is now 4 years old and has always been the only kitty. He's turned into a sweet, loveable boy (except when at the vet:)). My boyfriend found a kitten at his parent's house and we are trying to decide whether or not to keep him. Our main concern is Asher. I don't want to introduce this new kitty and upset Asher. I'm worried that he'll be miserable forever and that his personality etc. will change. I guess I'm afraid he'll stop being sweet and loveable and become more distant. I like when he greets us at the door and sleeps beside me at night and I don't want that to change. The little guy is staying in our bathroom for the time being. Asher has met him under the door and seems very curious about him. I've brought the kitten out wrapped in a towel and sat down in the living room holding him and let Asher just look at him and smell him. He still seems curious but then he seems to get "upset" and walk off and go sit in the corner and stare at the kitten like "get that thing out of here." I'm sure this is typical "introducing a new to cat to a resident cat" behavior but I'm still worried. I'm leaving the little guy in the bathroom for a few more days like is recommended (I feel so bad keeping him confined...he scratches and meows at the door) and will be taking him to the vet for a checkup before we let him fully interact with Asher. I feel that if we were to get a second kitty that a kitten would be best because Asher is indoor-only and he does not even like to see another cat in his yard! I feel like if we were to introduce an adult kitty he would be very defensive of "his" house and see the new cat as a threat. With a kitten I think with it being so little it's less of a threat and more of a curiousity. I've never introduced cats before. Should I be concerned for Asher or am I just worrying over nothing? Thank you!

Comments

• Alana RobertsAlana Roberts BrooklynMember Posts: 758
    edited 8 August, 2007
    Here's some good advice on tis - keep it slow above all and don't stress about it - cats can sense when we are upset and will respond the same way! Also keep new kitty isolated from the rest of them for at least a week - strict quarantine - the better you do this the better they will get along this way when they are let to explore - the cats are familiar with their scent and are already curious over who the new guy is. More advice here: http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/our_pets_for_life_program/cat_behavior_tip_sheets/introducing_pets_to_a_new_cat.html http://cats.about.com/cs/catmanagement101/a/introducecats.htm http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67321
  • Emily ClarkeEmily Clarke Member Posts: 2
    edited 28 August, 2007
    Feed Asher some of his favourite meat while the kitten is being introduced. New kitten = yummy meat. Asher will love the kitten. When my mommy plays with the neighborhood strays, I get very jealous. I wouldn't let the strays go anywhere near me or my house. BUT when my sister, Luna delivered her kittens, me and the kittens got along really well. I guess it's really a hit and miss.
  • Tina HillTina Hill Member Posts: 4
    edited 1 September, 2007
    Our favorite vet from back in Chicago before we moved gave us advice about introducing a new cat. He said to take a very clean cloth or unscented tissue and rub it on the area in front of the new cats ears. Then take that scent-filled cloth and rub it on the body of the older cat. He said this would get the older cat used to the smells of the new cat in a non-confrontational way. I can't say for sure if the technique really worked. When we tried it, there was still a lot of hissing and suspicion. But they eventually became good friends. Last year we introduced our new puppy to Penny using this technique and in this case it seemed to work. But Penny is so friendly that she might have accepted the puppy anyway.
  • Jade ElJade El AdelaideMember Posts: 27
    edited 3 September, 2007
    I have had to do this b4 and what i did was let the kitty roam around with the older cat and eventually they got used to each other..they barely ever fought more just hissing on the older cats behalf...
  • Rose MurryRose Murry Member Posts: 98
    edited 5 September, 2007
    Mum has done it by putting the new kitty in a seperate room, and then after a day or so, swapping bedding (or whatever the kitties were sleeping on). Then letting them in the same room for a few hours at a time, under supervision, until they know the kitties aren't going to fight. In one extreme case, where the kitties weren't fighting, but were ignoring each other, she opened a can of tuna, drained the water off, and sprinkled a bit of the water on the kitties. They groomed each other until it was all gone and then they were forever friends.;c;
  • edited 6 September, 2007
    Our CT does it sort of like Lucious. Supervised, but like it is no big deal. Nocat has ever been hurt, and usually they are grooming each other the next day. *shrug* If the humans act tensed up the resident cat probably will. Cole just took out all the toys and we stared.
  • joy wampolejoy wampole Member Posts: 626
    edited 6 September, 2007
    I was worried about the same thing before I started fostering, afraid how my Sophie would feel. I was lucky cuz she took to it like a champ! Then I fell in love with one of the fosters and was concerned all over again. I always make sure Sophie, my oldest gets extra attention so she dosn't feel left out.Another cat gave me this advice awhile back and it really seems to be true, cats either hate each other or like each other, you just have to take it from there.
  • Cathy AudorffCathy Audorff Janesville, WisMember Posts: 3,812 ✭✭
    edited 6 September, 2007
    You have gotten some good advice in the postings here. I have done this several times. First, get them used to each other's smell (swapping bedding is a good idea), Then try to introduce them for short periods of time where they can see and hear each other, but not get to each other (I sat with a door open just far enough that they could see each other for about 5 minutes at a time off and on during the day) Then introduce them with you present (it is normal for them to hiss at each other a little) Show each one the same amount of attention and talk to them about the other one while showing them attention. It is normal for a resident cat to get a little jealous at first, but if you show them attention they soon realize that there's nothing to get upset about. My Bella is still as sweet and cuddly as she was before her brother joined us, and now both of them greet me at the door!!!