cat toys everywhere

Pamela HaneyPamela Haney Old ForgeMember Posts: 893
edited 6 September, 2007 in Plus Friendly
I was kind of upset yesterday. I had a friend of mine come over and I cleaned up a little so that my house looked presentable. Just the usual stuff. No dishes laying around, vacuum, straighten the blankets and pillows on the couch, etc... So 'friend' arrives and they are there for a little while and they were in a few rooms of the house and they look at me and say "wow, your floors are really a mess". I was a little confused until they proceeded to explain that they meant about the cat toys strewn about in every room. I vacuum, but I never pick up the cat toys. I don't even pay attention to them anymore. I just push them out of the way when I clean. I have four cats and they play constantly. When I used to pick up the toys and put them in the basket the cats go and take them out again within a day and they are all over again so why bother. They were a little offended that I was offended. Does anyone else think it really rude of 'friend' to say anything at all or am I just being lazy and not picking up the toys?

Comments

• Kim WashburnKim Washburn LouisvilleMember Posts: 1,057
    edited 21 August, 2007
    Mommy thinks your friend was rude. Cat toys on the floor don\'t mean the house is \"messy\'. Would your friend have made the same comment if you\'d had a toddler and baby toys were strewn about? If people come to our house, they better be prepared to leave with part of our love on them (our fur since we will love on them) and they better not comment on the toy mice, etc. around. People should not expect you to make your cats suffer without their toys just because they are coming over to visit. If your mommy\'s friend can\'t understand this, there is something wrong. Maybe she doesn\'t like cats or is just neurotic :-k Mama Kitty
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    edited 21 August, 2007
    I agree, I think your friend was being rude. There are 3 cats in this house and friends/guests know and understand that we have cats and have never said anything about toys, cat hair, the litter boxes, ect. I do my best too to keep things picked up, the litter boxes clean, and the cat hair down, but this is to be expected (to an extent) in any home with furry family members. Any guests that sleep over are advised to keep the guest room door shut too - unless they won\'t mind cats sleeping with them. I also agree with the previous post about babies. No would say anything about infant toys and baby things in the home!
  • Lisa BLisa B Western WashingtonMember Posts: 129
    edited 21 August, 2007
    I agree with the above posters. It was rude for your friend to say that. When people come over to our house, mom and dad pick up our toys and put them in our little designated toy box so it's not scattered around the house but mom always misses some. But we know exactly where our toys are just in case while their friends our over we can still pull them out of our box and play with them.
  • Kim YeagerKim Yeager FargoMember Posts: 1,689
    edited 30 August, 2007
    I too have to agree...we have our toys all over AND the DOG's toys all over..you live there too so your momma shouldn't have to put them away for visitors!!!
  • edited 1 September, 2007
    The "friend" could have said "interesting accessories" if she had to say anything. Agree with the comments above. Why would anyone say anyone's house was messy anyway...*ponders this*
  • Darlene WagnerDarlene Wagner MilwaukeeMember Posts: 1,075
    edited 2 September, 2007
    Your "friend" was VERY rude and judgmental! We leave toys all over mommy's floors too.
  • Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
    edited 2 September, 2007
    Some people! Fffft! Don't they recognize the toys as an invitation to play with you? My human leaves a ton of bottle cap pucks on the floor to play with, and if anyone says something, well, they just don't understand cats! Mostly people are nice and understanding. In fact, when the human's sister comes by and they go out, on their return the sister likes to check whether any of the caps have moved. She is verrrry nice. Prrrrrrrrrrr. I'm really sorry to hear that your human has a judgemental friend, but I'm glad your human is kind enough to ignore it and leave your toys for you! *scratches her head, thinking how tidy your human is, considering that her own human barely vacuums or dusts!*
  • zeta frascazeta frasca londonMember Posts: 15
    edited 6 September, 2007
    I agree with everyone above, I think its great to have toys everywhere, especially as we get bored with our old toys and mummy has to new buy new ones that strong cat nip smells!! But we can't throw any of them away because sometimes the old favourites are the best.;c;
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 September, 2007
    We agree too :-h A house is not a home unless it has cats, a cats home is not it\'s castle if it doesn\'t have the trimmings (toys). Our home is also covered in toys. We have a toy box, but we also pull them all out. Toys are good and they keep us from destorying the furniture. What would you purrrferrr?. We\'ve got toys, a cat bed for each cat, a cat tree, a toy box and a large tube which takes up alot of room but it\'s fun to play with. Any visitor to this house, just has to accept that. Meow!!!! Hee hee
  • Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    edited 6 September, 2007
    I agree, that wasn't nice. When people come over to our house, they know that my Mommy isn't a very good housekeeper, and if they see fur or something on the couch, just to ignore it .. . even toys on the floor. . of course, they know that Mommy can't see very well anyway. The only one who says anything is Grandma, and she's just trying to help :)) We have a big BIG basket to keep all our toys, and some of Mommy's stolen/lost toys too :)) It's so big that I can climb in there, knock it over, and get my toys. But mostly I use it for a scratching post. . . so does Sandy. . .even though we both don't have front claws
  • Cathy AudorffCathy Audorff Janesville, WisMember Posts: 3,812 ✭✭
    edited 6 September, 2007
    We have cat toys all over the house, what's a house for if not to decorate it with toys? Just tell your friends it's part of your interior decorating system!!! Purrrrs, Mufasa
  • Donna LenzDonna Lenz BethelMember Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 September, 2007
    Your friend would freak if they came here! Everyone knocks shavings out of their cages, the prairie dogs LOVE to throw hay and beans on the floor, and we and the dogs have toys all over the house. Mom could vaccum and sweep, and 10 minutes later we have fur, beans and shavings on the floor. :?:? We take our toys back out and bat them all over. A house is not a home without furry creatures in it.