Getting my cat a pet

Wayne johnsonWayne johnson Western SydneyMember Posts: 20
edited 13 September, 2007 in Choosing the Right Cat
I own a savage terror that fits in well me & my lifestyle. But, I work and he's an active little bugger . Been toying with the idea of getting the anti-social mongrel a pet. I go check places with kittens, rub one on my arm and come home. Everytime he draws blood were the kitten smell is. He hates dogs and a pet rat wouldn't last long but I'd like to get him a mate. I had him neutered early and it calmed him down a bit but I think he'd be happy and less like Horse out of Footrot Flats if he had a pet. I don't want to change him as I love him just the way he is but I'd like to have another animal that he can get along with. Any real advise would be useful. Wayne

Comments

• Janelle StokesJanelle Stokes ChristchurchMember Posts: 28
    edited 13 August, 2007
    Hi Guiness, sounds like you're suited to be the only cat. I might be getting another cat as a pet although I'd probably prefer a dog since I was best mates with one growing up. I don't really have any useful advice to give, unfortunately. If you don't like other cats, you don't like other cats, right? Or maybe like me you just get jealous when the human comes home smelling like a million other cats. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 13 August, 2007
    Why would you let him draw blood? Before you can get him a friend, you have to teach him that attacking family just because he is pissed or upset is not something he is allowed to do. Seriously. I would not reccomend any other pet if he reacts that badly to just a bit of scent. Mom was told that I would do better as an only cat, but when she occasionally comes home with the scent of other animals occasionally, my strategy is to rub myself all over her to erase it. That gives her hope she might be able to tolerate another cat or dog someday. The way Guinness reacts, though, makes me think that you're just gonna have to get him toys to entertain himself, rather than a live companion.
  • Forrest JenkinsForrest Jenkins Member Posts: 439
    edited 13 August, 2007
    I agree with Boris. That is beyond just being a rough-and-tumble boy. He's territorial to the point that he would be dangerous to another animal. Maybe working on his behavior some would make your home a safer place for a new critter; however, right now, it sounds like a new friend for Guinness would be violently terrorized, Guinness would be stressed and angry, and you would be caught in the middle just trying to keep some level of peace. Also, if he's taking it out on you physically when you handle other animals, imagine how he might behave toward you if you'd been bonding with a new pet, holding it and having its smell all over you! Yikes!
  • Dayna MatthewsDayna Matthews LondonMember Posts: 277
    edited 13 August, 2007
    I agree with the above statements.=; Toys and more toys right now sounds like a plan but if your determined to get another pet then breaking that "attack" habit he has when sniffing other cats on you is a start! He must stop that behaviour first before bringing another pet home. If he can attack you when you only smell of another cat can you imagine what he would do to another cat face to face?:-/::o
  • Wayne johnsonWayne johnson Western SydneyMember Posts: 20
    edited 13 August, 2007
    He's basically a good little bloke. With other grown up cats he's hyper defensive. As for drawing blood, I cop worse working on a bike and it's just him being jealous I think . But, at the suggestion of a nice person from here I'm going to "Fish Sit" for someone at work thats going away for a week and will see if a well guarded & solidly re-inforced fish tank with shiney edibles will keep him busy. He's not big on toys(tried that but he grew out of it) and he does perform a good service around the neighbourhood keeping the numbers of Feral Mina Birds , Pidgeons and Mice down. The Mina birds drove the native species out awhile back and as society is growing more anti-feline they have no other preditor . It keeps him happy , keeps most of the neighbours happy(mina birds like to pooh on cloths washing lines) and does his bit to keep the numbers of a noxious pet low. I don't want to change him. We are mates and mates don't do that. Mates accept the good and the bad. I just am trying to get a handle on getting him to accept another animal.
    edited 13 August, 2007
    ... Well, you're gonna have to steer him towards change if you ever want any other pet someday, and don't wanna have to bury one of them in the evening. I'm also concerned that if he acts that aggressive towards you, his human companion and the source of shelter and food, that he will someday attack another human if he misunderstands their intentions, and it will end badly for him (being caught and euthanized as presumed to be rabid). There's not taming all instincts out of a cat, and there's getting them to be social enough not to harm others and therefore risk to be harmed themselves.
    edited 13 August, 2007
    I live in Australia Boris and we don't have rabies. They don't put cats down here for "rabid behaviour" because it doesn't exist here so there is no drama with that. Also, I'd like to see someone try, neither Guiness or I would tolerate that sort of nonsense. He's not that savage to humans as he was when he was little because it has no effect on me. I'm just going to have to leave him as a solo pet unless the Fish idea works. He likes fish , I feed him fresh fish daily and he's a greedy cat so it has alot of merit.
    edited 14 August, 2007
    Well, I'm pretty affectionate usually but if I get annoyed I'm quick to swipe. Doesn't sound much like you want/need company, I know I don't and the only reason I might be getting some is because everyone goes to work all day and I get pretty lonely and frisky, so they'd rather I played with another cat than wear them all out every evening when they come home tired. I like fish, but fish are hard to look after properly too (need to change their water, feed them, etc, etc - not as easy as they seem at first if you want them to stay alive). They also don't keep me occupied all day. You'll either need to look at a cat which is going to be independent and stand up to you (which might not help with the friskiness) or one that will submit easily, but then the submissive cat might not be very happy with life... so it depends what you want really. It just sounds to me like you don't mind being a one-man cat and having no rivals.
    edited 14 August, 2007
    Well, if you like Guiness the way he is then leaving him as the only cat maybe the best idea then. Otherwise you could bring a cat into a home where they may be constantly stressed due to watching it's back because of your cats aggressiveness and that doesn't make for a happy life. Not fare either.
  • Cris GutierrezCris Gutierrez San FranciscoMember Posts: 808
    edited 14 August, 2007
    A day late as usual, but I would also support the fish idea. My sister loves her fish and spends hours watching them. Once, Mama came home with another cat, not because I needed company but because he was being neglected. He was like Guiness, very feisty, and we had to be kept apart. One day, by accident, we got in the same room. Mama, who was on the phone with Daddy, screamed and dropped the phone and ran to save me. (Huh! If they hadn't clipped my claws, I would not have needed any help.) Long story short, Mama got bitten, Daddy heard a commotion, and next thing I knew, the cops were at the door. So, Guiness, forget a friend, get a fish. Also, though you didn't really ask, you can sometimes modify cat behavior by hissing. When another cat does something we don't like, we hiss. This doesn't mean we don't like the cat as he is, just that this one behavior is annoying. Hissing isn't scary like yelling, it just lets us know that the behavior is not appreciated. I know a cat who learned not to nip when startled through the hissing method. Putting a scent on your arm and allowing the cat to scratch or bite is actively teaching him to hurt humans. Much better to try out the scent of another animal on a piece of cloth. Encouraging blood-letting is not necessary to show you love and accept your cat.
  • Donna LenzDonna Lenz BethelMember Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭
    edited 14 August, 2007
    My vote is for a secure fish tank. Sounds like this guy is a "semi feral" cat - even though he has a home, he likes to hunt - and he has a "manly man" personality. Australia is very different than the US - and they take amazing care of animals there. No rabies or a lot of other things we get here. I've heard they have a pet market - outdoors - and the animals are gorgeous! Happy, healthy and very loved. My vet could not get over the cavies he saw there. Glad you joined Catster Mate!
    edited 15 August, 2007
    I'm no cat behaviour expert but I probably wouldn't suggest trying the hissing method on a cat with a mind of his own. It would work okay with a cat that loves his human company so much that he would try to please, but for cats like me who think we are at the very top of the kitty hierarchy, it's a threat to our position and a good reason to bring out the claws to remind the humans just who is actually boss here. Hissing says to me, "I find your presence offensive and I want you to go away." I expect more worship from my humans and I don't tolerate that, so I punish them with a good scratch! As soon as they accept their place beneath me we go back to life as usual. Perhaps Guinness is just saying, "I'm the boss here and I like things the way they are."
    edited 18 August, 2007
    I'm not quite sure how but the shifty little bugger get into the fish tank as 2 of the larger ones are missing. I bolted a steel frame onto it so that I had to unbolt it to feed the fish. I'm going to the pet market tomorrow to try and match them. No wonder he looks all smug & happy. The fishes owner gets back on Friday and with luck won't flip out too much. Now the question is, Can A Cat Use a Ring Spanner Without An Opposable Thumb ? Thats the only way he could have done it.
    edited 18 August, 2007
    Man, cats can be sneaky!::o
    edited 20 August, 2007
    I can't figure it out. 2 more are gone. By Friday there will be an empty tank at this rate. But, I think the Strippy one gave him a belly ache so maybe he'll lay off them. Have made an agreement with the fish owner to buy replacements when he gets back and he at least can see the funny side of it. I am going to change his name to Houdini the way he's going. Most perplexing.
    edited 20 August, 2007
    Maybe he does have opposable thumbs. I mean, I would just don some protective gear and check his paws if I were you! :)) I haven\'t, which makes mommy glad, because she knows the first thing I would do is get on the web without the aid of a typist, break out mom\'s cards, and start ordering tuna steaks over the web. The second thing I would do is order live birds. And hey - opposable thumbs mean I could even sign for those packages! :))
  • Jenna LuskJenna Lusk Pacific NWMember Posts: 2,034
    edited 20 August, 2007
    I figure the fish's owner took into consideration the risk of the fish getting eaten before leaving them with you. As for opposable thumbs... are you sure he doesn't have them and is just hiding them? Maybe he's got a little button he pushes and they pop out. I use my paws and claws like little hands. No thumbs that we know of, though... However, I guess that would rule out fish as pets. I'd probably stay clear of hamsters, bunnies or any other yummy fluffy animals. Maybe a nice, cat-tolerant dog would be the answer. Did I just say that?
    edited 21 August, 2007
    Out of the 7 original fish there are 2 left and they are nervous. Luckily the owner isn't too fussed over not having to care for them anymore and has suggested compensation in the form me doing a service & weld up a new sissy bar for his Harley. So it all works out for everyone. And he wants the empty fish tank back when Guiness has finally caught the last 2 fish. Found a striped fish tail on the Doona cover so I know it's definitely him. I'm buying a stuffed Wombat off a clubmate . It smells like an animal , looks like an animal and should scare the tripe out of him . He might behave if he thinks that he could end up that way if he's too cheeky . And it might Snow in December here too...... Yeh Right.........
    edited 11 September, 2007
    The answer was to get a cat equally aggressive. At least thats what I think anyway. Priscilla shows loyalty and by attacking authority figures(salesmen & cops so far-see the story) has alot in common with the rest of the family. Life is tough when you are 15cm tall but it's not your size it's the size of your heart that counts. There is alot of hissing but it will settle down eventually.
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    Hey Guiness - we look somewhat alike!! How are you getting along with your new kitty sister? I'm a very laid back kitty, but you sure sound like a tiger in a kitty suit. Meowmy laughed when you said it might snow in December....she had to explain to us that down in Australia, December is summertime. Keep us posted on how you and Priscilla are doing. Your friend from Louisiana U.S.A.:-h Benny Grunch
  • Melissa RyanMelissa Ryan Fall RiverMember Posts: 401
    Maybe you're just as crazy as them and that's why you're drawn to 'em! ;) Anyway, it's good that they found a home that tolerates kooky kitties!
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    edited 13 September, 2007
    I'm a grumpy fello at the best of times. I was the only cat for awhile 14 years in fact.%:D% then the hoomans decided I needed a furriend:-O I was not impressed I tell you:(( Anyway I slowly got used to the other furry feline in the house until one day SHOCK AND HORROR she had two more furballs. I was not happy:( It has now been a year and a half since then and I've slowly got used to them all around the house. Actually I quite enjoy watching them play. I'm now 17 years old and I'm finding it handy to share the boundry patrol duties As I'm not a fit as I use to be, we all get on fairly well except on my grumpy days. But over all I'm happy to have company:D Raza was the cat they introduced to me and she was very good at been submissive when I was not happy, They also introduced her slowly to me so I could get used to her smell before I actually met her. I hope this helps.:? We are so lucky with no rabies%:D% where we live is even more cat friendly - New Zealand, we don't even have snakes or many horrible spiders. I thinks our nastiest beastie in our garden is the bumble bee or wasps . We apparently have Katapos (Red back spiders) but I haven't seen one yet. P.S. Tell your hooman to get the tasty red goldfish next time for your neigbours pond. MOL