What happens if she swallows a flea??

Kristin FerraraKristin Ferrara Member Posts: 4
edited 20 September, 2007 in Cat Health
I'm terrified to find out. She bites at her fleas and is constantly licking. Currently in the process of treating the fleas, but what could happen if she swallows one? I have heard possibly a tapeworm, and her suddenly increased appetite now has me scared... Am I being paranoid??

Comments

• Diana GabaldonDiana Gabaldon PortlandMember Posts: 5,607
    edited 20 September, 2007
    It is true that she can get worms from ingesting fleas but I am not sure what type of worm. It has happened to us before. You need to look at her poo for small rice shaped bits. If she gets those she will need to be treated. The treatment is really easy. A couple of days of a pill. How are you treating the fleas? The fasted way we have found is by application of Frontline, Advantage or Revolution. DO NOT USE Biospot or Spot On or something you can get at the grocery store. Those have been linked to death in pets. Good luck
  • Kristin FerraraKristin Ferrara Member Posts: 4
    thanks so much for the info! i'll be sure to check the poo :) everyone is telling me to use Frontline so I'm assuming that's going to do the job. unfortunately i already got her a flea collar and used the spray (both from the grocery store) a few times already, but will stop now as everyone seems to be advising against it. hopefully no damage done... thanks again!
  • Diana GabaldonDiana Gabaldon PortlandMember Posts: 5,607
    You can take that flea collar, cut it up and put it in your vacuum bag. After applying the frontline, vacuum the rugs really well and then throw out the whole bag. Good luck!