DOG V CAT

Katie TownsendKatie Townsend LiverpoolMember Posts: 103
edited 21 September, 2007 in Choosing the Right Cat
katie's mum says she can have any cat or a basset hound dog but she cant pick, she's never had a dog but poo will be all hers to pick up - noone else and us cat's are litter box'ers! What shall she do?

Comments

• Beth CostaBeth Costa Stoneham, MAMember Posts: 252
    edited 1 August, 2007
    Hi, I have never owned a cat (I am planning to adopt one soon) but did own a beagle. She was beautiful and friendly and lovable and sweet and a lot of work. I miss her terribly (she died in June). Dogs are a lot of work, not that cats aren\'t. Cleaning up doggy poop and taking the dog for frequent walks is very time consuming. I would not advise anyone against getting a dog but just be aware that they are fairly high-maintenance pets. I miss my Bella puppy but look forward to new experiences once I find the right kitty. Good luck with the decision!:o)|^|
  • Sarah MinerSarah Miner MaplewoodMember Posts: 3,790
    edited 1 August, 2007
    That's a hard decision to make. I recently had to make the same decision between a kitten or a Papillon. Mom REALLY wanted another puppy but also REALLY wanted a kitten. We ended up with another kitten because mom will be getting married and moving out in a year and a half and she feels like it will be easier to take the cats with then the dog. Also puppies are a lot more work in her opinion but they are adorable. It just depends where you are in life. Puppies and kittens both need a lot of work but in the end mom had to go with a kitten. Kittens are easier to train though, Gordy hasn't had one potty problem, He just knows where to go.
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 1 August, 2007
    Our meowmy was owned by dogs in the past....and you are right, dogs do require being walked at least twice daily. And if you are lucky enough to have a yard, poo must still be picked up. Cats come "potty trained".....dogs must learn. Then there is the problem of barking, chewing, etc. Meowmy loved her dogs, but cats are alot less time-consuming. Would guess it would come down to 1) How much time does this person have to give to care, feeing and cleaning up after a dog? 2) It is a long-term commitment, so be prepared to take the dog for ALOT of walks, and depending on what area of the country you live in, can be REAL challenging in the dead of winter. Good Luck, and good for you to think about the decision as to what type of pet you will take into your home. Too many people don't, and we see the results at too many animal shelters.
  • Melissa RyanMelissa Ryan Fall RiverMember Posts: 401
    edited 1 August, 2007
    Meowmy has never had a doggy either. Another thing you might want to consider is that puppies need to be house trained. Like the other kitties mentioned, they don't come "potty trained". Beagles are very friendly and loving dogs, but very energetic so you'll have to keep it active! That's another thing to consider!
  • Cloudtail LaurieCloudtail Laurie woodbury,MNMember Posts: 240
    edited 2 August, 2007
    I once couldn\'t decide, so I had my aunts puppy come for a sleepover,it pooped everywhere and you had to take it out often. so we gave my aunts dog back to her. so I tried a kitten and she was so much easier!so I stayed with Ginger and my advice to you is:I think a cat is easier,but you should try having someones dog at your house for a sleepover,if that doesn\'t work i suggest you get a cat, or a smaller pet.
  • Jill DeyarminJill Deyarmin Member Posts: 34
    edited 2 August, 2007
    Meow. I agree that it all depends where you are in life. Things you have to consider with dogs are, twice daily walking, many bathroom outings, and the constant attention. True cats need lots of love and attention too, but they tend to be more independent and easier to leave for a few hours to a day without major supervision (as long as there's plenty of food, water and litter left out). But again, no one can say what is the best choice but the person who has to make the choice. However, my mommy prefers cats, hands (ahem, paws) down. Purrs and Headbumps, Kioko and Michi:^:
  • kirsty pengellykirsty pengelly LondonMember Posts: 852
    edited 14 August, 2007
    owning a puppy is a lot of hard work with toilet training, obediance training and they have lots of enery. since i've had/have both kittens and i now have a pup i personally would go for a kitten most come ready litter trained and as playful as they are its not the same kind of play as a puppy. but do a lot of research on the breed before making your dessision and go with you head not your heart
  • Joanne JeffersonJoanne Jefferson Member Posts: 472
    edited 14 August, 2007
    We have both kitties and puppies in our house. While it IS true that dogs are more dependent (most need to be walked, although wee-wee pads and/or puppy litter is a possibility), you need to remember that litterboxes need to be cleaned regularly as well. And while dogs chew, cats scratch and need to be trained regarding where scratching is appropriate. It really depends on what YOU want to do, how much you want a constant companion (cats are often more aloof), and what your family\'s needs might be. Good luck making the choice!
  • Dayna MatthewsDayna Matthews LondonMember Posts: 277
    edited 15 August, 2007
    Just go with your heart and decide what you really want to do and what you've got the most time for. Deciding to get a dog or a cat is a big decision as you should go with what you are leaning most toward. I've done the dog thing and puppy thing and Bailey is my first kitty and trust me I find the kitty experience a lot easier. Getting a kitten that is already litter trained than a puppy that takes housebreaking is a huge bonus. Again this has to be a decision based on what you feel you really want to do. I personally love dogs but right now it's just easier to have my cat. I just recently gave up a 9 month old puppy because when we got her we had our plans and then the plans have changed in the last while so we found her a good home. Plus make sure if you get a dog get it off of a breeder or someone who knows lots about dogs. Our pup was sent to us with social issues which were also a big reason we had to get rid of her. Just couldn't put in the time for her "special" needs especially with 2 little girls living here. Go with your gut instinct!=;
  • Forrest JenkinsForrest Jenkins Member Posts: 439
    edited 15 August, 2007
    I absolutely LOVE dogs, but they do require a lot more time, in my opinion, to be healthy and happy. They don't self-exercise or self-play very much because they have such a pack mentality that it's hard for them to do things without social interaction or a partner-in-crime. Even if you have a fenced yard, the dog may just lie around until you get home, or bark/charge the fence, and then have all sorts of play energy it's saved up for you. They not only need the walking, potty outings, and puppy-behavior modification, but they need much more structured play than cats do--otherwise, some can develop territory issues over their toys. Structured play is also good because humans have bred them for very specific jobs. The dog may not know what behavior it's driven to do, and if its human doesn't tell it, that instinct can turn into a very bad habit because all the dog knows is that it must have an outlet. On another note, lots of hounds are loud. Even small, lazy-looking basset hounds. They need very long, slow walks, and some stimulation that is under your control for their very, very keen noses which insist on being followed. I love cats, but they don't express the same loyalty and sense of community or cooperation that dogs do. And they will purposely make you mad. They hold grudges, and sometimes they complain about the simplest little things. There are pros and cons to each. I just think dogs take a lot of time, assertiveness and dedication, while cats take somewhat less time, inventiveness, and patience, especially for behavior modification. I always say, regardless of what animal you get, adopt or use a purebred rescue group instead of buying. There are so many, and you could find a gorgeous basset or mix whose previous owners couldn't keep him for some reason. A friend of mine just adopted a beagle/whippet (good thing she's a runner!) from one of her husband's coworkers. They live in Hawaii, the coworker got deployed, and now his wife is moving back in with her parents and not taking the dog, who has not one thing wrong with him. This is a pretty subjective topic, and people with cat/dog homes probably have the most useful information on who keeps them busiest!
    edited 15 August, 2007
    Margaux, I totally agree with you!!! I LOVE dogs too but they require so much more so you've always got to make sure you've got the time and space they need especially lots of companionship. Not saying cats don't need companionship, but dogs are pack animals by nature. Hope the decision is going well!!=;
  • Rachel HenneyRachel Henney AcampoMember Posts: 1,476
    edited 17 August, 2007
    My response is simple! I love cats but I'm more of a dog person! I LOVE Basset's! Also it depends on if you want a house mate or a best friend! If you want a buddy a dog would be best! If you just want an animal that is easy to take care of and just resides in your house I'd suggest a cat!
  • lisa slisa s Pacific North WestMember Posts: 483
    edited 17 August, 2007
    Another thing to consider... Do you travel alot? It\'s much easier for friends/family to care for us cats than those dogs. Our dogs make it hard for my humans to travel on short notice or for longer trips. When it was just me, I would get to holiday at grandma\'s while they traveled and she would spoil me.:D Now we have to have \"pet-sitters\" come stay at our home~which is fine, but they say it\'s costly.
  • Shellie DeanShellie Dean BadenMember Posts: 330
    edited 17 August, 2007
    From the tone of the original post, I must assume that Katie is young and still lives at home with her mother. In this case, I feel that the person who will be most responsible for the care of the animal should have the most input into this very important decision.We have both dogs and cats at our house. There are pros and cons to each, all of which must be considered before making the 10-20 year commitment that goes along with a new family member.:-k Dogs are more dependent in some ways, and require a lot of time for training and housebreaking, especially if you opt for a puppy rather than an adult dog. Cost must also be a consideration. A shelter dog can be gotten for a fairly reasonable amount, but a purebred can cost anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars, depending on breed and pedigree, and if you want a show-quality dog, or one that is \"pet-quality\". In general, dogs are larger, and that means more food, and more money spent on food/vaccines/medications(heartworm and flea prevention)/altering and any other surgeries that may arise over the dog\'s lifetime. Larger animals also generate larger amounts of poo to be cleaned up. The dogs in my house were trained from puppyhood to poop in the woods behind our house to minimize cleanup, but that\'s not an option for a lot of folks and required a LOT :-O of time and effort at first! Also you need to consider the time required for walks, outdoor playtime, and some obedience training. Cats are somewhat more independent, but still require time and effort. Like dogs, shelter cats come at a fairly nominal cost, and a purebred will cost much more. Also, most shelter animals will already be altered and litter-trained at the time of adoption, but this may vary depending on the shelter and the age of the cat. As far as costs, you will still have the cost of food/litter/vaccines and medical care. Cats generally litter-train themselves quickly, but litter needs to be scooped daily and changed regularly. Cats don\'t require frequent walking like dogs, but still require socialization and play-and-exercise time, but this can be indoors with toys and/or a laser pointer. :-k Whatever your decision, I am glad you are giving this a lot of thought and not just rushing blindly into a situation you will have to live with for a long time. Dog or cat, whatever you end up with will be your friend, confidante, comforter, and family member for many years. My furblings and I wish you all the best, whatever you decide.:c9:^::q:c9
    edited 17 August, 2007
    Good answer Bailey.=;
  • edited 26 August, 2007
    I think that cats are better they have to got to a box and got to the bath room. U got to train a dog to go to the bath room out side then if u dont watch out with the dog they will chew and. If u dont cleen ur yard up u could step in ducky. IT is nasty. =;
  • Ashlyn LeidyAshlyn Leidy Member Posts: 37
    edited 21 September, 2007
    CATS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (FROM A CAT LOVER)