Cat passed away hours after seeing the Vet

Shira WildShira Wild New Smyrna Beach, FLMember Posts: 312
edited 25 September, 2007 in Cat Health
My best friends cat, "Orlando" was acting strange yesterday. He was facing the corner and was a bit wobbly and bumping on the wall. He took him to the vet, who said the cat was fine, maybe had a virus and sent them home with no meds or blood work. Last night around midnight the cats neck pulled back and tightened and was breathing a little heavy. My friend rushed Orlando to the nearest 24 hour vet. The Vet thought it was neurological but wanted way more money then my friend could afford(1,000$) to do bloodwork. He called me about 4 am from the vets and was going to put him down. I spoke with the vet on the phone and he said the cat is so healthy, not even dehydrated, except for the neck thing and the cat was now blind. I asked what could be done to make the kitty comfortable until our usual vet opened. He said a shot of steroids and B vitamins. We okayed it and the cat went home. Then just as my friend was getting ready to leave his house to take kitty to his own vet Orlando made a noise and blood came out of his mouth and he passed. This is a 100% indoor cat. Can anyone think of what might have happened. And was our usual vet negligent? ?

Comments

• Grace McLeanGrace McLean Member Posts: 406
    edited 22 September, 2007
    Oh, we are so very sorry about this. I would ask the vet to do a post mortem examination to find out what was wrong with the kitty. As for negligence, it's really hard to say. I had a dog that dropped dead the day after knee surgery (after she was sent home and we were told she was fine) and another dog that was being treated for an ear infection (even had ear surgery) when she was actually suffering from a brain tumor. (In the case of the knee surgery, the vet offered to do an exam of JoJo for free to find out why she died, and he did.) Vets make mistakes, and there does not seem to be a whole lot of rigor around accountability. I am convinced the hospital did something to my JoJo during the knee surgery that caused her death, but what can you do? I just never went back there again. I would just try to get the answers somehow because I would need them. We are so sorry this happened. It must be extremely difficult to have something like this happen when you can't reconcile any of the facts. Please tell your friend how sorry we are. Kiki, Mouse and Catsy's Mom |:||:||:|
  • Julie BellizziJulie Bellizzi StaffordMember Posts: 196
    I want to suggest an anuerysm or maybe a stroke. But I am definately not a vet. I dont think you can blame the emergency vet. Vet care is not like people care - he is not required to give it regardless of ability to pay. Your regular vet should have been more suspicious, but then you dont mention how old the cat was. Like the previous poster said, vets make mistakes just like everyone else. But I for one would hate to see vets saddled with the same kind of malpractice problems that doctors have. I know it hurts when something like this happens that may have been avoidable, but there has to be some measure of understanding. Why didn't your boyfriend insist that something more was wrong the first time he went in?
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    Your regular vet should have probably done some bloodwork. You did not say if it was your friend didn't want it run (which is often the case) or if the vet didn't even offer it. Beyond that it's difficult to say if your vet was negligent. It sounds to me that the cat may have had a brain tumor or some other brain problem and really the only way to know for sure would have to have done a CT scan. Unfortunately these are not common in vet med, not only due to cost, but also availability. I also agree a necropsy might be beneficial, but you may want a party not associated with the case to perform this (especially if you think your vet was liable). I am sorry for your friends' loss. Many purrs!!!!
  • Shira WildShira Wild New Smyrna Beach, FLMember Posts: 312
    Orlando was 10. Both vets agreed he was in great shape. A year ago he had the radioactive shot for hypothyroid. That was the only health problem he had ever had. My friend brought Orlando into our regular vet this morning. She wasn\'t in yet, but the tech took a look at him and suggested it was a traveling blood clot. When our vet did come in she called and was in shock over what happened thru the night and offered to do an autopsy today at no cost. She\'ll call by 6 pm with the results. On a side note...\"Orlando\" had a (in)famous 1st owner...for those of you who know punk rock...he was Dee Dee Ramone\'s cat. Dee Dee gave us Orlando in 1998 when he moved to California from New York. My \"friend\" is Monte...the Ramones tour manager. Monte even put a photo of Orlando in his book. He now believes Orlando inherited \"The Ramones Curse\". Here is Monte\'s MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/ontheroadwiththeramones
  • Kim WashburnKim Washburn LouisvilleMember Posts: 1,057
    We are so sorry to hear about your friend\'s kitty. Hopefully the vet will be able to figure out what happened. It does sound like some kind of aneurysm and most of the time, there is nothing that could have been done. Please keep us posted and we\'ll send purrs to you and your friend for your loss. Jack and family
  • Diane WallineDiane Walline Hamlin (suburb of Rochester)Member Posts: 500
    We hate to hear of any kitty passing|:| We hope you guys can find out what really happened. |:|
    Vet called this evening. She said Orlando was in remarkable great shape...except his heart was enlarged which probably caused a clot that traveled to his brain. It is probably a genetic defect that there was no way of knowing about. He didn't even have a heart murmur. Something undiagnosable and untreatable. Rest In Peace Doe Doe Boy.
  • Kristen JurusikKristen Jurusik PhiladelphiaMember Posts: 22
    edited 23 September, 2007
    I am so sorry to hear of your friend's loss. What saddens me (and I'm sure a lot of vets and vet techs) is that when animals become ill, there's no real way of being able to determine additional symptoms as animals can't communicate pains that aren't obvious and unfortunate events like this happen. My family's cat Samantha (I'd have pics up here if that hard drive hadn't been accidentally ruined by a friend) passed away when she was 10 and we have no idea why. She was as active as a kitten and the vets couldn't find anything wrong with her.
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 24 September, 2007
    So sorry to read about Orlando's passing to the Rainbow Bridge. At least you found out what caused his death. Strange how the same thing that can take a human's life so quickly can also take a cat's as well. Thank goodness he did not suffer. Sending soft paw pats and purrs, Benny Grunch, Emma and Louis |:||:||:|
  • Nancy GraceNancy Grace near Ft. WorthMember Posts: 104
    We are so sorry to hear about Orlando. Gator and all of our other critters are with him. Just read the post about the conclusion. What a horrible way to go. :((
  • Jenna LuskJenna Lusk Pacific NWMember Posts: 2,034
    I am so sorry about Orlando. At least he is with his original daddy now, and the rest of the gang. But I know he will be very missed here on earth. My thoughts are with you guys, as I know this is a really hard time.
  • Jan AllenJan Allen DallasMember Posts: 2,596
    OH MY so sorry - our purrs are with Orlando and family
  • Jane ThompsonJane Thompson RaleighMember Posts: 2,910
    First and foremost, Tango, my family's thoughts are with you and your friend, our hearts and purrrs go out to you. I hope having a better idea what may have happened will ease your pain, though time is usually what it takes. I hope to meet Orlando here at the Bridge, I'm certain we'll have much to meow about as that for my too few years on earth I lived with the furry version of the Ramones......and Joey was my nemesis, MOL! This might not be the best place, but Mom really felt I should address something Pippin said about vets and malpractice liability. Sadly, by the time my Mom got a second opinion following complications I had from a urinary blockage, the damage to my urethra was so severe that even a surgery done at our university veterinary hospital couldn't restore my urinary function. It's a very long story, and we'd be glad to share it one-on-one if you p-mail me, but, this came after 6 visits to that vet each time my Mom telling him I wasn't urinating enough! The vet who did the second opinion was alarmed by what they found. I may still have had to have surgery, but it's clear (now) I should've been referred on much earlier and likely then had a positive outcome. That said, after struggling to work through the emotions, and at the suggestion of a friend, my Mom did take legal action and they settled with her before going to court. This is as close as we'll get to that vet admitting he made a mistake, it wasn't going to bring me back and that's the only thing that would make my Mom feel better. We hope next time he's faced with uncertainty he will air on the side of caution and also take owner's concerns more to heart!
  • Pat BeckPat Beck Spokane/SouthhillMember Posts: 878
    edited 25 September, 2007
    We\'re so sorry to hear this sad story, but, please know he is in the best of hands, here at the Bridge. We\'ll love him and take care of him. Mom had a co-worker, several years ago, who died of a Brain aneurysm, apparently in her sleep. She was 54 years old, so, not young, but, certainly not elderly. Things like this really come as a shock and remind us that time is not a guarantee for any of us, and life is not measured by it\'s length. All life is precious, and somtimes, the briefest touch us the most! Huggs and prayers, Heidi and family
  • carolyn nassifcarolyn nassif Member Posts: 116
    Sorry for what you went through. In reading your posts I was also thinking it was some sort of blood clot due to heart disease. This is something that would not show up in blood work. Also heart enlargement may show up in xrays. Everything happened so fast with this kitty and it does go that way sometimes. A very healthy cat then bamb he passes away. Again, sorry for your loss. cathealthnurse.blogspot.com
    Thank you all for your thoughts and paws. Monte thanks you too! His other cat "Dude" does not like not having a kitty friend, not one bit. So, as all this was happening with Orlando, someone called me about an abandoned kitty girl that needed to get off the street NOW! Well, I got her, and sent pix and stuff to Monte and Dude, had her checked at the vet today and she IS gonna be Monte's new baby girl. I will deliver her personally next Thursday. You can read her profile as I have put her as family for now. I am not one to "replace' a kitty, for it cannot be done, but in this case I really do believe that Orlando chose this kitty at this time to soothe the heartache. She is sooo affectionate, beautiful and cuddly that the vet wanted to keep her. But I told her no, her Dad has already been chosen! x0x0x0x0x0x, Shira