I need a friend

Kacy BoccuminiKacy Boccumini Member Posts: 1
edited 25 September, 2007 in Choosing the Right Cat
My name is Jonesy, and I am the best cat in the world. I am loveable, funny, and very protective. I am looking for a younger sibling to play with while my loving mothers are at work. They adopted a little girl cat who was 1 year old and she didn'y like me at all. This made me terribly terribly sad. I just wanted to love her and play with her and show her all the cool spots to lay out and get a tan. She wasn't having it. So I am putting my paws into action and looking for any suggestions for my mommies about the kind of cat that I would get along with... or more importantly would get along with me. I am a very handsome Orange and White tabby boy cat. I am nuetered and an only indoor cat. I am a big boy, but a gentle giant. Any ideas? This apartment gets awefully lonely and I want someone to play with during the day, and cuddle at night.

Comments

• Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 27 August, 2007
    Hi Jonesy! I'm an orangie too, so I know all about wanting to have someone to hang out with to show all the cool stuff to. In my case, dad doesn't want to adopt another cat until next year, so I hang out solo for now, but momma has already decided that the next cat to come home will probably be a catolescent so I can play with him/her (I love to play, always am up for it, so mom has to entertain me a lot). Catolescents are cats between 6-10 months of age, i.e., too big to be a itty bitty kitten, but young enough to be still in that playful kitten phase. Mom says I was a catolescent when I came home to her, but other than for my size, you wouldn't have know it. I was a ball of energy! Mom says that's probably the best age for playfulness and size. If you get a itty bitty kitty, he will be too young to appreciate your company and might actually get on your nerves, and if you tell him/her to back off they might be at a size disadvantage and get hurt even though you don't mean it to happe. OTOH, if you get a cat who's over a year old, they might either avoid you like the plague or get it into their head that they can boss you around. That said, I think temperament here is more important than age per se. Ask your moms to look for a cat who is just as playful as you, regardless of age. That would be a good start.
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    edited 27 August, 2007
    I agree an older kitten 6-12 months old might be a good choice, or a young kitten (though a kitten might annoy you at times). An adult cat might be okay too, especially if you know his/her history and they like other cats. Adding another adult could mean a longer adjustment period though. Perhaps another boy kitty might be a better match? Look for a kitty that is friendly, outgoing, and seems to like other cats. Hope you are able to find a new brother or sister that will be a great buddy for you!
  • Melissa RyanMelissa Ryan Fall RiverMember Posts: 401
    edited 27 August, 2007
    And this time pick a boy! Girls like to be the boss even if they're younger and that's why we don't always get along w/ each other.
  • Darlene WagnerDarlene Wagner MilwaukeeMember Posts: 1,075
    edited 28 August, 2007
    Because you are four, maybe a girl cat who is younger than you, but not a kitten might work, and a cat who has been around other cats. My sister didn't like me at first, but now we are best friends-even though she can get crazy and bossy at times. I am VERY laid back, so that helps. Maybe when your mommy goes to pick out a friend she can play with it, and see if she can pick it up and hold it without it trying to get away. My mommy did that with me-when I let her do it without getting scared or mad mommy knew I would be very kind to my sister. Good Luck!!!!
  • Alana RobertsAlana Roberts BrooklynMember Posts: 758
    edited 6 September, 2007
    Oh I wish you were in NY b/c Priscilla might make a good companion for you!
  • Eva viezelEva viezel MontrealMember Posts: 3,008
    edited 6 September, 2007
    We have to agree with Dusty. NO GIRL please. Speaking from experience :(( Good luck dude, Love, |:| Alfie
  • joy wampolejoy wampole Member Posts: 626
    edited 7 September, 2007
    If you live near L.A. there is a black cat adoption going on this weekend. What would be cooler than black and orange especially at Halloween?
  • Alana RobertsAlana Roberts BrooklynMember Posts: 758
    edited 16 September, 2007
    I think a lot of this depends on how you introduce them too, you should keep them separate for a week and make sure the new guy behaves and respects the older ones boundaries.
  • Rose MurryRose Murry Member Posts: 98
    edited 21 September, 2007
    And if you don't mind riding in a car, some adoption places have little rooms set aside where a family can bring their pet to meet potential new pets. Then the two of you can meet in a neutral place and see how well it goes. But also, please be sure that your shots are up to date if you do that. When my dog cousin Pepper was at the Humane Society, they said she didn't get along with most other dogs. My dog cousin Chessie is a very laid back and SILLY Labby, (also from the same place) so they went and got Chessie, and they went into a play room and Pepper and Chessie hit it right off! Pepper came home the very same day. (Cause she was already spayed, so they didn't have to wait)
  • Tanya MundyTanya Mundy boulderMember Posts: 763
    edited 25 September, 2007
    I agree with Dusty. My mommy asked lots of questions when she brought me home, and one thing she was told is to not bring home a girl kitty. she did anyhow, cause well, she liked girls and was griveing and did things for her, not necessarily for me or for my icky brother, horus. but what she was told, now that she is sane, is that boy's get along far better than boy-girl or the worst girl-girl. 6months to 1 year is best, but anything younger is important. and find someone playful and outgoing, who won't need your mommy/daddy's time, cause you might get jealous and that causes tension in the house. mommy learned the hard way. but that's ok. it got me out of the shelter and into a home were i picked my daddy !!! :-)