Help with Diabeties

Melissa MayhewMelissa Mayhew ColumbiaMember Posts: 10
edited 30 September, 2007 in Cat Health
I have had diabeties for about a year now and I am still having problems. I still drink a lot of water despite a shot twice a day and eating special food. A couple of months ago mommy got new insulin for me, but I am not myself. I use to be a happy 18 pound furball and now I am 12-13 pounds and mommy is very worried. Any suggestions as I especially hate going to the vet to have my sugar checked.

Comments

• Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 23 September, 2007
    Visit this web site for lots of info on how to manage diabetes: http://www.felinediabetes.com Continued peeing and weight loss indicates unregulated diabetes. What insulin and food are you on? Sometimes diabetic cats do better on regular canned food instead of the prescription stuff. There are many insulin choices. If one doesn't work, try another one. Humulin N didn't work for me so the vet put me on Lantus and now I am doing well. Does your Human test your blood at home? If not, then your Human should lookinto doing it. Knowing our blood glucose levels and how the insulin affects it is very, very important to know. It's not hard to do with a regular Human diabetic blood glucose meter kit and plenty of patiences and treats. The vet can do curves but they're not too accurate because stress causes your blood glucose levels to be very high. What was your last curve at the vet's like?
    edited 23 September, 2007
    Oh, I see from your Catster page that you eat Purina DM. Blech. You can eat much better (and less expensive) foods than that, IMO. There is nothing magical about prescription food that makes it any better for us than low carb regular commercially available foods.
  • Melissa MayhewMelissa Mayhew ColumbiaMember Posts: 10
    edited 24 September, 2007
    I was on Humilun N and maxed out at 5 units in AM and 5 units in PM. I am now on 4 units of Vetsulin in the AM and 3 in the PM. Mommy gets my fructosomine done once a month to get a better idea, but I will not let her take my blood at home without a real catfight. I may not have front claws, but I bite and use the back clawsreally well. Heeheehee! Mommy tires, but I hate it! I will get mommy to ask the vet about different food and insulin as she is just learning. Although I will not eat wet food--yucky, different dry food may be a possibility.
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 24 September, 2007
    You need to go in and have your blood tested. A glucose curve will be beneficial as well as a fructosamine level.. In the future you may be able to get away with only having the fructosamine level checked. You are definitely not regulated and need to have a doctor evaluate you as soon as possible.
    edited 25 September, 2007
    Humulin N is too short acting for many cats. Vetsulin is mostly for dogs and sometimes cats don't do too well on it. Ask the vet is you can try one of the PZI insulins or Lantus. Both are long lasting insulin and many cats do well on these.
  • carolyn nassifcarolyn nassif Member Posts: 116
    edited 25 September, 2007
    visit my blog, I have a couple of great articles on diets for diabetic cats. Not one diet is good for all as well as not one insulin is good for all. http://www.cathealthnurse.blogspot.com
  • Melissa MayhewMelissa Mayhew ColumbiaMember Posts: 10
    edited 30 September, 2007
    In case you are still following this-- mommy took me to the vets and my sugar levels are much better. There was no adjustment to my insulin at present. Mommy being paranoid e-mailed the makers of Vetsulin and it is not used for cats in the US, but will soon be. It is used in other countries. She asked the vet about it and she said they often use off brands. Thats intersting! Mommy will do more investigating in the future. For now all is well, but mommy will be taking me in regularly to keep on top of this. PURRS!!%:D%