A harness for me?

Erin DoxseeErin Doxsee Member Posts: 7
edited 1 October, 2007 in Cats & Travel
Apparently, my humans weren't too thrilled when I cunningly escaped my safety collar when they were trying to bath me. The incident has put all kinds of foolish thoughts in their heads, and now they want to get me a harness for when I get bathed (ewww) or I need to go out for any reason, like if they take me to that horrible man in the white coat... Can anyone recommend a harness that wouldn't be too offensive to me?

Comments

• Forrest JenkinsForrest Jenkins Member Posts: 439
    edited 9 August, 2007
    One of my good friends uses a harness to give her cats the wretched, horrific FLEA DIP once a year. I'll ask her what kind it is because the cats definitely mind the dip far more than they mind the harness.
  • Tiffany McConnellTiffany McConnell OmahaMember Posts: 30,862
    edited 11 August, 2007
    My harness is just a normal cat harness... dog harness' can be used if they're small enough. Theres one kind of harness called a figure 8.... DONT get that one. It tightens when cats are struggling. Not cool.
  • Susie, Mike Yang, VeldboerSusie, Mike Yang, Veldboer VancouverMember Posts: 4,115
    edited 14 August, 2007
    I use the figure 8 type of harness (and a leash) to walk with my staffs. The figure 8 type is recommended by some books my staff read because it’s harder to escape from. I haven’t heard about it tightening up but I can tell you this, we CAN escape from it if we really want to. I’m a big cat so the harness is quite tight around me. It still didn’t stop me. Last time I almost got out of it. I don’t think harness can stop you from escaping. The most it does is buy your human some time so he/she can grab you while you struggle. My staffs bath me in the bathroom with the door and window closed so I have nowhere to run. Well, I didn’t try anyway. Apparently I’m a wuss when it comes to dangerous situation. What does “wuss” mean? Good luck Pippin. =; Nemo
  • Kate ThornburgKate Thornburg Member Posts: 63
    edited 26 August, 2007
    My mommie was thinking about getting a harness for me too, but fortunatley for a different reason. She liked this one and its pretty so heres the link http://www.thecatconnection.com/page/TCC/PROD/COL-HARN/COL-GOOBY
  • Ashlyn LeidyAshlyn Leidy Member Posts: 37
    edited 21 September, 2007
    I have a good one (that's actually for dogs) and I love it! It's very comfortible and i really like it. My problem was my other collar kept getting stuck under my bottom jaw and i was really stuck. This one I can't get stuck on! She worrries that I'll slip out of the house. I recomed harnesses!
  • Andrea VaileAndrea Vaile Member Posts: 26
    edited 29 September, 2007
    I like my wearing my harness, because it means I get to go for a walk! My mom uses regular cat or puppy harnesses for all us cats (I think the brand name is Hartz); the kind that have an adjustable non-stretchy collar and chest strap attached by a +/- 2 inch strap that runs between your shoulder blades. It kind of looks like an \"H\". None of us have ever wiggled out, but my mom puts them on pretty tight...so there\'s just enough room for two of her fingers under each strap. She also makes sure to never leave us unattended when we\'re wearing them...as we could get snagged on something and (god forbid) choke ourselves.
  • MICHELLE HOOKSMICHELLE HOOKS TANGERINEMember Posts: 274
    I am, ahem, too large for a kitty harness so my mommy bought me a small dog harness. We got recommendations from the pet store first. She likes the harness much better because I can slip out of a collar quicker than David Copperfield! Of course, I am very offended at wearing the harness and I lay on the floor as if I cannot move! My mommy wanted a harness on hand for trips to the v-e-t and in case of an emergency. The recent tornadoes in our area have made her wanting preparations on-hand.
  • Darlene WagnerDarlene Wagner MilwaukeeMember Posts: 1,075
    We have a harness, but mommy had to buy a dog one that IS escape proof, so we ONLY use it when mommy can see us. The other one was a cat one and it moved, so if we got caught we could get out, but Cleo was on the harness, and she wiggled out of it! Mommy is happy that Cleo is scared of outside because Cleo ran as fast as she could to the front door-MOL!
  • Diane WallineDiane Walline Hamlin (suburb of Rochester)Member Posts: 500
    edited 1 October, 2007
    I have a figure 8 harness and an "h" harness. The figure 8 harness is easier for mom to put on me, but easier for me to get out of. My "h" harness I outgrew even thought it was recommended for large cats. I haven't been outside in a long time but I loved when mom would take me out on my harness and leash and let me lay in a sun spot while her and daddy were grilling dinner on the BBQ.