Serengetti and Blood in Stool

Vanessa BobackVanessa Boback TampaMember Posts: 3,149
edited 10 November, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
I just switched Rasha and Cheetah over from an Orijen & Taste of the Wild mix to a Serengetti & Taste of the Wild mix. (I do this to help save money) My cats do very well with variety and I have never had a problem. Yesterday I noticed that Rasha had blood in his stool, and I am wondering if it had something to do with the food switch? I read so many wonderful things about timberwolf that I wanted to add it to their rotation. Is there any other reason why he could be bleeding? And what exactly does it mean?

Comments

• kate vonkkate vonk BoiseMember Posts: 1,313
    edited 8 November, 2007
    i haven't seen any blood in the stool and my kitties have been eating serengeti for a couple weeks now.
  • April PlourdeApril Plourde Member Posts: 248
    edited 8 November, 2007
    Poor Rasha! I'm honestly not sure how a food change could result in bloody stools (unless the stool was VERY large or VERY hard). Was this just a one-time incident? And how much blood was there? If it happens again and/or he starts showing other symptoms, I would call the vet.
  • emma clarkeemma clarke Nottingham Robin Hood CountryMember Posts: 6,819
    edited 8 November, 2007
    It may not be anything to do with the food switch, just a coincidence,or it may be that there is an ingredient in the Serengetti that could have cause some irritation to Rasha's large intestine? I've heard that even a hair passing through the digestive system can cause blood being present in stool, so it may not be the food. Just keep observant for any more blood.
  • Vanessa BobackVanessa Boback TampaMember Posts: 3,149
    edited 9 November, 2007
    Thanks guys! It's hard to tell if he is still bleeding because he covers it so well in the litter box. He has been eating fine and has energy, so I guess he will be alright. It must have been a coincidence that I had just changed his food the day before. It just freaked me out to see blood in there, with some runny poos, when he normally has normal hard poos. But thank you everyone! :^:
  • Kelly GormleyKelly Gormley Orlando, FLMember Posts: 30
    edited 9 November, 2007
    Lilly is on a rotation of Serengeti and she usually has a somewhat sensitive stomach. As long as I transition her VERY slowly, she handles everything pretty well. If I don't do a slow transition, the worst it gets is slight vomiting and loose stools. But as long as I do my part correctly, she does very well and LOVES the Serengetti. I would definitly call the vet and get that checked out.
  • edited 9 November, 2007
    Oooh, scary, Rasha! We never heard of this as a result of a food switch....RA is right, I think. It seems depending on what you were eating and the individual cat, Serengeti may be a bit "rich" at first, but seems you are okay. Sure hope so! We are all doing fine on this product and just ordered another big bag.
  • edited 9 November, 2007
    Just keep a close eye on Rasha! Maybe he ate something that upset his tummy? Try to keep unhealthy people food to a minimum, and keep small, chokable toys away.|^|
  • Vanessa BobackVanessa Boback TampaMember Posts: 3,149
    edited 10 November, 2007
    Thanks everyone!! :D :^::^::^::^: