How many is too many?

Becky WetheringtonBecky Wetherington New BernMember Posts: 11
edited 19 November, 2007 in Choosing the Right Cat
I have 2 cats, Jake (M) and Mazzy Moon (F). Jake is nuetered, very friendly, and just happens to be Mazzy Moon's pops. Mazzy Moon is a little over a year old and not yet fixed, but will be as soon as I have the money. They are both very friendly cats. Mazzy Moon is slightly skittish, and Jake is fearless. We just recently adopted a puppy from the pound, Murphy, about a month ago. Things are finally calming down and they are finally starting to become a little family. I don't know, pets are like pringles to me, you can't stop at just one. I love all of them so much, and I'm somewhat thinking about calling about some free kittens in the paper. I hear males get along better and are friendlier, and I'd get him nuetered quickly to avoid the spraying, and also to avoid any accidents with Mazzy Moon. It's just me and my boyfriend in our new house, and it's a fairly large house with 2 litter boxes. What do you guys think?

Comments

• joy wampolejoy wampole Member Posts: 626
    edited 3 October, 2007
    First of all, there is no such thing as a FREE kitten! It will neeed to be tested to make sure that it does not have feline leukemia or feline aids, also it will need distemper shots and it will need to be spayed /neuted. That should run about $200.00. Please make sure that the pets you already have are spayed/neutered before you aquire new ones.After that is done , you should be ready to enlarge your family. Purrs, Sophie
  • Sarah MinerSarah Miner MaplewoodMember Posts: 3,790
    edited 3 October, 2007
    Hello Maisy Moon! I too agree that you should be spayed before you get any new animals in the house. If your parents cant afford to get you spayed then I don't think it would be a good idea to get another pet at this time. Once you get spayed I think it would be OK for you to start thinking about getting another pet. Lots of love, Gordy and Ruben
  • Alex StockdaleAlex Stockdale NowraMember Posts: 7
    edited 3 October, 2007
    Greetings! I definetely think you should be spayed before getting another friend! From my knowledge, I totally think you should start expanding your circle of friends (just don't get too many! animals aren't like toys, ok?) once you are spaying. Better safe than sorry, right? I agree with my fellow paw pals above! Hugs Pepsi and Sylvester xoxoxox
  • Darlene WagnerDarlene Wagner MilwaukeeMember Posts: 1,075
    edited 3 October, 2007
    Mommy knows how you feel-she wants 2 boy kitties to live with us too, but daddy would probably make her move out-hehehehe. It is hard because after all we are cute and loving, but remember if we get sick you would need to take care of us, or if we have "issues" you would have to love us anyway. mommy said that in the end-she would rather spoil us like crazy than have more pets, and not be able to afford the best for us.
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 October, 2007
    How many is too many? As long as you can comfortably afford to feed them and see to their needs, it's OK. But when one of them is in need of a veterinarian and you can't afford to pay so you postpone medical treatment . . . . that's when it is too many.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 4 October, 2007
    Thank you Athena. That was what I was about to say. In general any cat you get, you have to plan on spending anywhere between $500-600 per year, and that's just on neutering/spaying and initial testing, food and litter. Kittens will also need several vet trips as a follow up (my vet says kittens need to be dewormed every 3 months for a year to make sure they are parasite free once reaching adulthood), preventive care (Flea/heartworm/hookwork meds). They also need toys and furniture. When you add that in to the startup costs, you're looking to spend about $1000 the first year, and that's a low ballpark. This means that not being able to afford medical care for your existing cat at this time is going to be a big red flag to most foster parents (yes, even people who advertise "Free kittens" if they have any decency). Free kittens also usually don't come with an initial spay/neuter, or an initial round of vaccines so you'd have to be able to afford all that right off the bet. It sounds like you can't.
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 4 October, 2007
    Hi Mazie and family We agree with other posters. You made the comment that you will have Mazie spayed when you have the money. Right now you should just staywith the three pets you have. Remember, the puppy you adopted will have to be neutered as well (guessing Murphy is a he). And there are visits to the vets and shots to be paid for and food as well. Hopefully your pets will enjoy good health, but we have read many posts where a serious illness can run an owner into the thousands of dollars, not to mention the heartache of watching a beloved pet suffer. Cats and dogs need to be brushed and in the case of a dog bathed. Dogs also need to be walked and given exercise to be happy and healthy. In short, pet ownership requires not only a commitment of money, but time and effort as well. You both will find your hands full with three pets. And, if your furry family is getting along, don\'t \"push your luck\" and add another animal (cat or dog) that may not bond with the others and cause problems. Read other forums from owners who are having trouble with new furry family members. Good Luck, Benny Grunch
  • Becky WetheringtonBecky Wetherington New BernMember Posts: 11
    edited 4 October, 2007
    Wow, thanks for all the responses. I didn't mean to give off the message that I didn't have the money to get Mazzy fixed, and for those who asked, all of my animals are up to date on medical care and shots, they go on a regular basis, just recently actually. I just recently got separated from my husband and have moved little Mazzy and Jake about 3 times in the past 6-8 months, so of course that puts on a financial strain, plus the point I didn't want to stres her out any more than I had to by getting her fixed. And with Jake being nuetered and them being indoor only, I saw no rush on getting her spayed. And Murphy will be spayed soon, that's the law here for pound pets. If I don't have her spayed by the date on the "agreement", they'll come searching for me. haha. But thanks again for all your input. You're right, once I have Murphy and Mazzy spayed, I'll think about a new kitten. :)
  • Lindzey WicksLindzey Wicks DuncanMember Posts: 15
    edited 4 October, 2007
    'ey there, jinx here! I think your fellow writers are right. If you spay your kitties and can get all there shots then more cats is a great idea. Especially if you have 2 litterboxes in a big house. I wouldn't place more then 4 cats in the home however, because of finacial and sensitivity to the nose. Well hope I've helped. ^^ Now gotta go play with my fellow kitties. ^^
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    edited 5 October, 2007
    I think the answer to this question is different for everyone. It totally depends on how much time, money, and love you can give your pets. For some, one pet is too many! I agree, I would make sure your resident pets are all altered before you look at kittens. I would also suggest you also consider looking at your local animal shelters. There is an adoption fee, but you will be saving a life. Sometimes things are included in the adoption fee too (depending on the shelter). When I was adopted, the initial office visit fee was waived by my vet because I was adopted from the shelter. As we get closer to winter kittens could get difficult to find. You may want to consider an older kitten or young adult cat - they might already be altered and started on shots too. Good luck!
  • Forrest JenkinsForrest Jenkins Member Posts: 439
    edited 6 October, 2007
    Aside from the financial concerns, I would recommend getting your female cat spayed, with plenty of down time afterward, before you consider new pets just for behavioral reasons. Female cats tend to be more territorial than (neutered) males, even after they are spayed. Before they are spayed, if they are in heat, they are very territorial, and very, very sensitive. Not to mention that they get really freaked out and defensive toward even the animals they know for a week or so after surgery. In order to maintain a peaceful household, and transition a new pet in as smoothly as possible, your girl kitty definitely needs to be fixed first. She will get over the initial "new cat *hiss!*" hostility much more quickly if she has been spayed and given some time off, and she will be more likely to accept a new member of the household. I think your present situation would be quite chaotic for your current pets, and any new pet you brought in. And you too, since you will have to supervise them! As for litter boxes, I've always heard that you should have one more litter box than the number of cats you have to make sure they all have access and privacy. If anyone gets territorial over a box, you have carpet/bedding/plant issues--bad habits die hard!
  • Nancy GraceNancy Grace near Ft. WorthMember Posts: 104
    edited 6 October, 2007
    I think it's great to save more babies, but it gets expensive fast in the cat litter department. All of our cats used to be inside and we had two giant litter boxes and a spare for vacation (that's where the bathtub comes in handy, just don't put litter down the drain). Cats are like all other animals, there needs to be enough room to spread out or they get into territory fights and sprays. Unless you constantly want to be scoopin' poop, I wouldn't go past one more cat and keep your girl kitty's feelings in mind. She may not want another one. Think about taking her in a kitty carrier to meet the kittens. If she throws a fit in the carrier while sniffing them, then you might not want to get another.
  • Tessa ThorntonTessa Thornton Willard, MOMember Posts: 60
    edited 6 October, 2007
    you can never have too many pets!! Just make sure you don't go all Cat Crazy loving on them like it's your own child, that's what my mom said but what's wrong with that? Just get however many makes you happy!
  • Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    edited 7 October, 2007
    You also have to think about your present babies. . . do you think they get along with other kitties and will welcome a new one? It sounds like you've moved yourself and them alot in the last few months, and that takes alot out of them too, maybe you should give them a little break, a little down time, esp. after they get spayed, that also takes a lot out of them, and with a puppy there too .. . . I love pets, and if I could, I would adopt every adorable one that comes along, but of course I would probably get kicked out of my apartment building :)) Also, there are so many hours in a day, do you have time to do what you need to do, plus walk a dog several times a day, and clean out two or more litterboxes and feed them? It sounds like it doesn't take much time, but it does! Just some things to think about. I had to do that too, before I adopted Sandy last May. . .I wanted another kitty, a friend for Squeakers (but that's not a good enough reason to adopt) and I wanted to save her life, but I had to think ~On my fixed income, can I afford it (she was free, declawed and spayed, but there was litter, food, toys, vet. . .. ) ~ Will my lease allow more than one pet? ~ Will they get along? Will she get along with me? ~ Is she healthy? No diseases, worms, mites, fleas. . . ~ Does she have any bad habits like spraying, constant meowing., etc?
  • Beverly HixBeverly Hix Osage CountyMember Posts: 48
    edited 7 October, 2007
    My response is not to have more pets than you can afford or have time for . Unexpected expenses pop up everywhere and I am not talking small change. Be prudent.
  • Roxann RobbinsRoxann Robbins Member Posts: 3,268
    edited 9 October, 2007
    My mommy has had between four and 16 kitties to care for. At one point bottle-feeding 11 fosterkittens....whew, good thing I loved squeeking little babies =) Going thru 200 pounds of cat litter at the peak of times and lots of catfood, medicines and lovins, you have to be diligent. Have a schedule, resources and patience. (Such as changing the dressings on a post surgical kitty, getting up to feed tiny babies, and changing those litter boxes!) And of course having time and lovins for them all, and being able to enjoy each kitty. When it becomes more of a burden than a joy, when you can\'t care for their needs, and when the kitties stop being individuals and become a group...then you have too many. Purrrrs, Biscuit
  • Julia SchwartzJulia Schwartz Member Posts: 1
    edited 11 October, 2007
    I agree with just about everything everyone has to say. I have 5 cats, originally only wanted 3. But I saved some kittens and am so grateful for my little Alex and Teddy. The main thing for us is vet bills and food, I know for sure 5 is the ABSOLUTE limit at this time strictly because of money. we are very responsible pet owners and know that any more would put a burden on our budget. Also, be sure to have enough litter boxes for everyone. Cats are very particular about their bathroom area.
  • naomi codynaomi cody Charm CityMember Posts: 537
    edited 12 October, 2007
    in my opinion more than 2 is too many. only b/c when you have an odd number there are risk of 1 of them getting bullied by the other 2. also think of space , time and money. trust me if left up to my own devices i would be a crazy cat lady. i love furballs! kitties are like pringles, addictive! when i hear prices at the vet, i'm like that isn't bad til i multiply it by 2 :)). for example igot an estimate for tooth cleaning. i was told $200. compared to what i've heard on here, not too bad. well for me that's now $400. ouch! they don't need that every year besides i brush their fangs. i'm planning on alternating years. my attitude is kits are like kids you can't something for and not the rest. if you can have and spoil her, pawesome! however if you have to compromise the basics or scrounge then you're hurting them. my solution to get my kitty fix is to volunter at a shelter. i'm also thinkingof working at a vet hospital p/t just so i can play w/ kitties. when we own our home i'm definitely going to foster. this way i can make a difference, play w/ kitties and find them homes that aren't mine:D.
  • Donna LenzDonna Lenz BethelMember Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭
    edited 12 October, 2007
    Meows Every Cat Meowmy suggests getting your female kitty spayed as soon as possible. If she is one year old, then she will be going in and out of heat. It is so fun for her to have all these hormone changes, and it is adding more stress to her life. Plus if she accidently got out of the house (accidents do happen) she could become pregnant. As far as how many is too many - that is each human's decision. Only you know what you can afford, can handle space wise, and care wise. In my house we have 6 kittys, and one is the famous Captain Morgan the Pirate who is a rare kitty who was born with Diabetes. We also have two doggy sisters, 3 prairie doggys, 3 rat a tats, 2 guinea pigs, 1 hammy, and 1 ferret. Meowmy was not looking for another kitty - in fact she and Dad had already agreed NO MORE FURBALLS! MOL! But Mom stopped at PetSmart on her way back from driving Jaspar & Jillian - Operation Miracle Manx on their way to their new home in Canada. She had never seen so many kittens needing homes there. I was out playing, and she saw my little white Lynx Ears. She asked to see me, and when she picked me up and put me on her back - I just snuggled, purred and looked deeply into her eyes. She called Dad, and I came home a few days later. I am having my "pockets picked" and being microchipped on Tuesday. Meowmy and Daddy have a big big house on an acre - and we are all inside kittys.
  • Kelly HendryKelly Hendry Charlottesville, VAMember Posts: 556
    edited 19 November, 2007
    I realize that this is an old post, but I just wanted to add. I also feel bad for all the animals in shelters, etc and constantly have friends mentioning their friend so and so who found a cat/dog and do I want it? (they know that I'm a sucker). It can be really exciting to get a new pet. It can also be very stressful and expensive, lol. I would wait several months after getting the dog before getting another pet. Its not just the short term paying for medical bills, etc. when you adopt an animal you make a commitment to it for the rest of its natural life (in cats this can be 22 years!) It sounds like you're a great Mom to all of your animals, so I would just give yourself time to think it all over and not get caught up in the excitement. Mom says thank goodness Dad is here to tell her "NO MORE". Nobody wants to be like that woman on Oprah who had 129 cats........... http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/7563