Maybe I made the wrong choice...

Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoMember Posts: 11,036
edited 25 November, 2007 in Choosing the Right Cat
I am so depressed... I think I might have chose wrong. It's not technically my cat but I was going to be taking a lot of care of him... I was helping to pick a breeder for a family member, he wanted a certain kind and we were searching for about a year before finally we found two breeders who had what he wanted almost (wrong gender). We were in contact with both before the kittens were born and finally chose the one who seemed to have more experience and be more up on all the testing that should be done, so went with that one. We talked to them a lot and 2 months ago we worked it out to pick up the kitten 1 week earlier than the breeder was going to send them to their new homes. We had to work this out because we are unable to get there (it's several hours away) in January due to work constraints. So we made a set date and they said it would be fine, they would have the kitten fixed by then, so we sent them a deposite for the kitten. Then I emailed the breeder several days before we were scheduled to pick up the kitten and they told me they never made the appointment to get the kitten fixed so we could not pick him up until a week after the surgery (NO exceptions), which was in January even though we told them two months before that we could not do it in January...so now we have no way to get this kitten and he is getting older...my family member really wanted an actual kitten who would be more adaptable and we had a lot of plans which are not shattered...if we had been able to pick him up when we arranged I would have had almost 2 weeks of vacation when I could get him adjusted to the new home and make sure he stayed out of mischeif but now I don't even know if we can pick him up for another month, and we're both going to be busy then with no time off...now I don't even know if we're getting the kitten and Im just really frustrated... I'm starting to wish I had chosen the other breeder instead. My family member even said he was considering just forgetting the whole thing and trying to find another breeder.

Comments

• Julie BennettJulie Bennett TorontoMember Posts: 280
    edited 8 January, 2007
    I don\'t know all the circumstances but I wouldn\'t get upset about the delay. My Mommy had to wait approximately an extra month to get us from our breeder (she was so anxious for us to come home). We had the flu so my Mommy had to wait. The Breeder did it because it was in our best interest; things happen when living creatures are involved :) I also wouldn\'t worry about your kitty being \"too old\" or not adaptable. We were much more confident and better to adapt to our new surroundings being a bit older.
  • Cindy MillarCindy Millar Iowa ParkMember Posts: 14
    edited 9 January, 2007
    I agree waiting for a longer time is sometimes if not always better for the kiten and the new owner. So many want a little kitten, which is not advisable as they still need their momma and siblings, and the stress of a new home and new people can be very traumatic. I went to my new home when I was almot 16 weeks old, and I am at 6 yrs still a kitten at heart so waiting is a good thing.
  • Stephanie LitosStephanie Litos Member Posts: 210
    edited 9 January, 2007
    It very well might be that the best thing for this kitten is to stay where he is right now. However, it sounds like you are upset because your schedule was made so that you could have time with this kitten to help it adjust, and now that won't happen. If you are very frustrated with the breeder, and the timing really doesn't work for you, would you consider adopting a kitten from a shelter? If you do that, you can get the kitten whenever you want. If your family member has to go to a breeder it sounds like going to a different one isn't going to work with your schedule either. Sometimes plans go awry and there isn't much we can do about it. Good luck.
  • Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoMember Posts: 11,036
    edited 9 January, 2007
    Well the breeder would not let any kittens go home until 14 weeks or more so he would have been about 15 1/2 weeks old if we brought him home when we were supposed to...so now he will probably be about 20 weeks old by the time we bring him home because it looks like we won't be able to get there until February :(
  • Kat HiKat Hi Member Posts: 181
    edited 10 January, 2007
    many breeders will hold the pet if you put down a deposit, even if they have to wait a couple more weeks. it will be worth the wait. trust me.. the pet will be the same whether you got it last week or 3 weeks from now... same pet, same personality, infact, an older pet might be better litter box trained. the extra couple weeks will help. you'll have years with this new friend, whats a few weeks? patience my friend, patience. on a side note... if you cant break a few hours to get the pet on one day, are you going to have time to care for it properly? sounds like schedules are a huge problem on all ends. :-( i hope it all works out for everyone involved. and remember, you'll have so many happy years with this new friend that patience is the name of the game.
  • Amanda LockabyAmanda Lockaby Gainesville, GAMember Posts: 156
    edited 10 January, 2007
    I hope the situation works itself out. I know how it feels to get excited about something and then plans change. It makes you feel helpless at times and I guess with you having already sent your money you feel the breeder may not even give you the kitten now (WHICH I HOPE DOESN\'T HAPPEN). I wish you all the best of luck. But 1 question - why choose a specific breed when there are so many homeless kitties out there who don\'t cost as much and are just as loving?? I know you said this wasn\'t your cat..but I was just curious.
  • Christine MessinaChristine Messina Member Posts: 1
    edited 11 January, 2007
    I'm a little concerned with the idea that a kitten is more adaptable than a grown cat. I worked at a humane society where we had almost 200 cats and kitten at any given time, and it sounds like in your situation, you might want to get an adult cat. I only say this because adult cats are calmer and learn more easily about the litter box, what they can and can't scratch, and more about humans' routines. Since you don't have a lot of time to hang out with the animal when you first get it, I tend to think an adult cat would adjust better to your situation. Additionally, if you go to an animal shelter, they're bound to have a lot of cats for you to choose from, and so you can choose one that's in the earlier years of its life, or one that acts like a kitten all the time. Of course, this is only a suggestion, but it's one I feel strongly about because at the shelter where I worked, the adult cats were constantly passed over in favor of the kittens. In your situation, I hope you turn out happy with whatever you choose to do. Good luck!
  • Jennifer O'NeilJennifer O'Neil JeffersonvilleMember Posts: 77
    edited 12 January, 2007
    Go to the pound and save a cat that will be much less uppity than an inbred cat and a whole lot cheaper.
  • Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoMember Posts: 11,036
    edited 12 January, 2007
    It's not just a few hours...it's at least a 7 hour drive total, plus whatever time we spend there... It's not the same as being able to care for the cat or get the cat to the vet or something which is in town, my family member is 'on call' for January so he cannot leave town for such a long time because he may be called in to work at any time during the month. As for his reasons to get a purebred kitten he has a bunch of reasons, he wants a specific breed and type of cat; all his previous cats were rescues but now he wants a certain type and among other things he wants to know the health background of the parents/grandparents/etc and to be sure health testing was done, that's part of the reason he wants a kitten from a breeder. It is an unusual type that I have never seen in shelters, also. I did show him a bunch of photos of pictures of kittens from shelters before at different times to see if he might want to adopt one of them instead, but he was set on a breeder. At this point it is really too late to change our minds since he put a deposit for the kitten about 3 months ago but I was never expecting so much frustration to try to bring the kitten home :( I keep trying to arrange something to pick him up but there is always a reason that the breeder can't do it so it seems like we have no choice but to wait until february.
  • eva pennyeva penny chehalisMember Posts: 528
    edited 12 January, 2007
    I'm so sorry that this has been so hard on your family. I had a hard enough time waiting a month for Tucker to come home :( Look on the bright side, February is only a couple of weeks away and then you will have a beautiful, fuzzy, darling baby boy to love %:D% He'll still be a baby, just a little bigger. Diesel was six pounds when I adopted him and was only 3 months old! It is easier to train an older kitten because he should be mostly through the *psycho* kitten phase (leg climbing, knocking everything down, ect.) Hope that everything turns out well for everybody.......Tucker, Diesel and their Mom.
  • Phoebe McPhoebodyPhoebe McPhoebody Member Posts: 744
    edited 12 January, 2007
    I was about 17 or 18 weeks old when Mommy found me at the humane society. By then, I had already been almost adopted once and returned to the shelter and I've never told Mommy much else about my time before I came home. But, I was soooo happy when Mommy took me home. I had explored the whole house and used my box within 45 minutes. I followed Mommy up to the bedroom the very first night. I was still a little girl at 4.5 pounds, but I was old enough to adapt very quickly and easily to my new surroundings.
  • Straw MeltonStraw Melton VancouverMember Posts: 37
    edited 13 January, 2007
    In your first post, what your problem is is: "early alteration". Beeders and cat associations have jumped on early alteration as the "answer" to all the criticism breeders recieve about there being so many unwanted pets etc. I let my kittens go at 12 weeks but do not practice early alteration. 15 weeks is reasonalble I think and even older. The early alteration issue is a very complicated one but I will say this, breeders that practice early alteration are "hard core". The real thing. I know that if practiced early alteration, I would never get the money I sepent back from the new owners. In other words they are doing it for a loss. Then, there was also some talk about adoption being "better". Comparing rescue cats and pedigreed cats is like comparing apples and oranges. As a breeder, I am very concerned about the effects what I am doing. I have discussed this issue at great length with (the few) vets and rescue workers who would speak honestly and openly about the subject. Here are the facts: One SPCA martial I spoke with told me that in most cities there are almost NO kittens in need of rescue. Of course there are mixed breed adults. Another rescue worker I spoke to told me that in over a year they have recieved only ONE (out of thousands) pedigreed cat. The owner had died suddenly and since he had his cat's paperwork in order the cat was snapped up. Many breeders including myself offer lifetime gaurantees that they will either care for or find a home for the cat if it should ever need it. PC neighsayers will often use the existance of pedigreed rescue groups as evidence that there are hundreds of pedigreed cats running around homeless. I am involved wiht the Bengal breed, and I watch my local Bengal rescue site for activity. This year, EVERY SINGLE LAST CAT found a home for Christmas. Need I say more? You may have noticed that I have a bit of an attitude, and be wondering where this comes from. Well from my eyes, this problem would go away if we just made it illeagal to breed cats unless you are a registed cattery. The SPCA and cat groups are completely at odds on this issue though. The SPCA refuses to recognize that purebreds are differnt from mixed breeds. And as cats, they are not. But the WAY they came into this world and the qualitly of their lives is uncomparable. As things are now, in the eyes of the SPCA, catteries are "kitten mills". Just for your information, the SPCA defines a kitten mill as: one male and one female, unaltered adults. That, in mind is crazy, as long as the SPCA has their heads up their buts... this cat is keeping his attitude.
  • Cindy MillarCindy Millar Iowa ParkMember Posts: 14
    edited 27 August, 2007
    I know this is a late response, but I responded back in January, and was wondering if you ever got the new kitten??? I surely hope so, and out of curiosity what breed is it? I have Maine Coons and went to a breeder because I wanted to show my cats, I have Rescues as well, and Love them dearly, but the Maine Coon drew my attention back in 1999. I hope all went well!!! :-)
  • Abc AbcAbc Abc Member Posts: 3
    edited 28 August, 2007
    this is going to be really late i know, but I just want to know how this all ended. Besides, why were you helpin that dude(I can\'t remember)anyway?I mean if its gonna be HIS cat it should also be HIS responsibility, he shouldn\'t just dump the dirty stressful job on you, unless he pays you a VERY nice sum on mula...but I highly doubt that.... No hard feelings Sami :^:
  • Alana RobertsAlana Roberts BrooklynMember Posts: 758
    edited 31 August, 2007
    Sorry but your SPCA guy obviously never came to New York there are hundreds of kittens being put to sleep every week because the Animal control people are too crowded and cant keep up or afford to keep them any longer. As far as purebreds there are many Siamese and Main coon's in the shelter - they may not have papers to prove it but if it looks the part and act the part and your not actually a breeder yourself whats' the difference??? I know two Siamese right now who need homes, one IS a purebred who was dumped because it was too chatty for its owner. I do agree that every breeder should have to get registered as there are a lot of nuts out there who just don't neuter who claim to be breeders.
  • alyssa elkinsalyssa elkins east brunswickMember Posts: 169
    edited 21 October, 2007
    Requiring registrations and fees and hoops to jump through for breeders is what the animal rights extremists are pushing for in order to legislate breeders out of existence. Be careful when you draw a line, ANY line. That line can be moved. Not all catteries are registered or even can be {I am one, actually--a Persian cattery, four breeding cats--the rest adopted out/fixed}. Some catteries are working with rare/unregistered breeds, foundation lines or trying to establish new breeds. Requiring registration in order to breed would eliminate these catteries. Sometimes people just want a purebred kitty, as many of them carry traits you can't find among moggies.
  • Abigail ByersAbigail Byers Member Posts: 77
    edited 25 November, 2007
    Owner: I'm glad I didn't get into the purebred mess. I was going to get a persian but in all the contracts that I had read that you had to pay $5000 dollars if the cat was to get sick