Is the Litter-Robot worth it?

Adele DoucetAdele Doucet MemramcookMember Posts: 182
edited 1 December, 2007 in Grooming
I've been thinking of maybe getting a Litter-Robot, but looking at the price, I would like to know if it's worth it? I read some comments about it, on the web site, and they all say it's better then the LitterMaid (what I have), but of course, they wouldn't put any bad comments on the site. I just would like to make my job at cleaning the litter boxes easier.

Comments

• Deb O'NeillDeb O'Neill PerkasieMember Posts: 8,659
    edited 19 August, 2007
    We like it, but you do have to keep up with daily cleaning. Mom scrubs it in the laundry room sink once a week. Every morning she wipes out the inside with a Clorox wipe, just to get any dust or whatever. I used it at once, but my brother and sister stubbornly used the old litter box, which Mom stubbornly refused to clean for them! I was about to pass out from the smell, when they decided the Litter Robot was acceptable. Whew!
  • Brianna PoeBrianna Poe RaglandMember Posts: 10
    edited 27 August, 2007
    I\'ve been thinking of getting one too..as far as daily cleaning, is it just wiping the dust out? I have a problem with my kitties apparently digging to the bottom of the box [[i put probably 3 or 4 inches of litter in there so i don\'t know why they dig so low]] and the clumps get stuck to the bottom. Have you had any problems like this with the Litter Robot?
  • Maggie CrabtreeMaggie Crabtree DetroitMember Posts: 94
    edited 31 August, 2007
    We have a littler robot and we really like always having a fresh pan. Our robot is almost two years old and we hear they have made them less noisy since then. The drawer was improved also. Our parents really like having the robot and vs most other auto pans the robot is far superior! No rakes, it works on gravity so cleaning is MUCH easier. Especially since you mostly wipe up smooth surfaces and don't have to clean gooky rakes. The only other auto pan they have ever entertained was the Cat Genie and it hooks up to a water and sewer line BUT when it's cycling (which is on a set up schedule NOT when it's just been used) it takes as while since is basically washes the litter (special stuff) and it has to dry. The Robot on the other hand cycles every time we go and it only takes a few minutes to do so so its available again right away. There is a Cat Litter Box forum on the web that shows how to modify the unit and get more waste storage if you have multiple cats. Check out http://www.litterbox-central.com/forum. You'll find everything you've ever wanted to know about automatic pans and more there. Good luck! Nibbles and Licks, Radar and Momo
  • Adele DoucetAdele Doucet MemramcookMember Posts: 182
    edited 8 September, 2007
    Thank you very much Radar! (by the way, I just love your name!) I think I might just get one!
  • Maggie CrabtreeMaggie Crabtree DetroitMember Posts: 94
    edited 8 September, 2007
    Grisou, Welcome! If you decide to mod the robot just know it will void your warranty so you may want to wait until it's out of warranty to do stuff like that. If you do want the actual link to the mod (took mommy HOURS of reading to come accross) just pmail and we'll send you the link to that thread. It's from a few years ago but still links up when we click it. If it's gone we downloaded the pics way back when and could at least send you those. Hope you like your new bot as much as we like ours! Nibbles and licks, Radar and Momo
  • shelly fryshelly fry South CentralMember Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited 8 October, 2007
    I am very picky about my litter box and was going on the floor, rug, and tub more than the box. So Mom got a robot this past May. She kept one of the regular boxes for Denali but she was using the robot. Mom got a second robot in July. WE LOVE OUR ROBOTS! I'm not sure why daily cleaning is needed. Mom takes about 5 min twice a week to empty the waste drawer, add more litter, and sweep tracked litter. She cleans the whole robot about every 6 weeks. Highly recommended product!
  • Suzanne EdwardsSuzanne Edwards Member Posts: 1
    edited 12 November, 2007
    We've had the Litter-Robot for about 2 years and all three of us kitties love it. Like Venus's mommy, our Mommy cleans out the tray twice a week and the entire unit about once a month or so. We all like it and have used since the first time Mommy showed it to us. I'm a Lynx-Point siamese and my sisters are a Blue Point siamese and a Seal Point Tonkinse. It's quiet and we like that we always have fresh litter to use. We had the Litter Mate before but with three kitties using it, it got icky fast and Mommy was always having to dump the tray every day and the rake got really nasty fast. So, after much homework, Mommy got us the Litter-Robot and we all really like it, including Mommy!
  • Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoMember Posts: 11,036
    edited 1 December, 2007
    I have a question about the Litter Robot--- how big is the drawer where the waste goes? I have a Littermaid and my problem is Sneakers is a big cat and she tends to have an, um, big bladder which fills up the waste receptable in the Littermaid REALLY fast! (It's not a medical-related problem according to the vet, just that she's a big kitty...) I'm wondering if the drawer in the Litter Robot holds a lot more? I like the Littermaid a lot except for that one issue...
  • Janet CrouchJanet Crouch Member Posts: 1,209
    edited 1 December, 2007
    Hi Kitties:-h There are 9 of us so we have three Litter-Robots. One of them is the older model and two are the newer models. Sneakers, the dimensions of the waste drawer on the newer model are: 10 ½ in (W), 13 in (L), 4 in (D). You don\'t need to buy receptables and we use 13-gallon trash bags. Other dimensions and a demo can be found on their website as well. It\'s nice to be able to just grab the bags and dump them! The globe is big and may seem awkward to clean when it\'s time for a good scrubbing but we haven\'t found any other automated litter box that we like better. We use a spray attachment to clean it. For Mother\'s Day this year they offered a really good discount that amounted to $50 off. I don\'t see a special going on right now for the holidays though, at least not yet! Purrs, Mercy