Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

NUTRO

Gregory WilliamsGregory Williams NewarkMember Posts: 68
edited 1 December, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
Have anyone on this site ehard of the food company NUTRO? what have been other people experience with that brand of cat food. DAD went to a cat show on long island and there was a demo on the positive effects of NUTRO HELP :-h

Comments

• Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 18 November, 2007
    Nutro pet food web site The ingredients aren't great: lots of grains and gluten and other icky fillers. Personally, I recommend a better quality food that contains real meat and few, if any, grains and fillers. Cats are obligate carnivores and need meat as the main part of their diet, not a bunch of grains and stuff. Now, there are felines here who eat Nutro and are healthy. It's really a matter of personal preference on what to feed and how important ingredients are to your Human and how much you are willing to spend. Premium foods that are grain-free and contain real meats tend to be pricey and are typically sold in speciaity pet stores.
  • Nicole JonesNicole Jones Fort CollinsMember Posts: 128
    edited 18 November, 2007
    I feed Nutro Natural mostly. It's just better than most of the other brands you can get at my pet stores and the price is more affordable than super premium foods like Wellness or EVO.
  • Ramona NRamona N Member Posts: 27
    edited 20 November, 2007
    I was wondering the same thing. Autum is eating Royal Canin dry and Natures Menu canned food now. I want my kitty to have the best we (I mean our family) can afford (well, we could afford even better stuff but my hubby would not allow me to spend that much on cat and I only work part-time (I already buy cat food when he's not around so he couldn't see how much I pay or he would freak out)). Is Nutro better than RC?
  • Beth CostaBeth Costa Stoneham, MAMember Posts: 252
    edited 20 November, 2007
    Hector eats Nutro Max canned and a mix of Nutro Max and Natural Choice dry. I realize that there are more expensive, grain free products on the market but they can be difficult to find and have expiration dates. I have 3 young kids and practically speaking, both financially and time-wise, it makes more sense for us to go with Nutro. And, Hector loves it. He's doing very well on it and it has no by products so even though it has grains, the meat in the Nutro is real meat and not by products. It's definitely a step up from grocery store brands.
  • Gregory WilliamsGregory Williams NewarkMember Posts: 68
    edited 20 November, 2007
    thanks---- it is good to ehar from different people and make a good choice to feed my cat.... thanks
  • Sara MelendezSara Melendez Member Posts: 23
    edited 21 November, 2007
    We only eat the Nutro wet foods... Mom doesn't like the dry, because it has corn in it, so she feeds us a different brand (Felidae). Nutro is definitely better than a lot of cat foods out there, though, and affordable, too. If you shop at Petsmart, BLUE Spa Selects is a better brand than Nutro, and it's only a few dollars more, so you might want to consider that. :)
  • kate vonkkate vonk BoiseMember Posts: 1,313
    edited 27 November, 2007
    by nature is also a good brand at petsmart if that is what is avalable to you. my cats used to eat the nutro dry food but they were always hungry and always got a bit chunky. too many carbs i guess since they are a bit lazy.
  • angie samerangie samer Brick, NJMember Posts: 46
    edited 30 November, 2007
    Maybe a question can be answered for me. I am eating NutroMax lite since I am a little chubby. Have to lose just a couple of pounds. My meommie was giving me Purina Naturals plus vitamins. I just loved that. The ingredients on the package are all natural and very similar to NutroMax. After getting over being sick, I don\'t really want the Nutro, so meommie is mixing the Purina in with it. I do eat that. Is there a big difference in these two? Can\'t find the Carb info on the Purina, but the Nutro is 37 percent. I also eat one pouch of wet a day. The vet said to lose weight eat only one pouch or 3oz can of food and the rest dry. Thanks for any info on these two products.
    edited 30 November, 2007
    Purina Naturals has a lot of grains: corn gluten meal, oat meal, brown rice, whole grain wheat. All those grains makes the carb content of the food very high. I don't know the exact carb content but any food with that many grains is always high in carbs.
  • angie samerangie samer Brick, NJMember Posts: 46
    edited 1 December, 2007
    Thanks Merlin for your help in my question. Do you think the Nutro Max lite is a better food to lose some weight? Or can you recommend a better way. Thanks.
    edited 1 December, 2007
    Honestly? No. Nutro Max Lite is high in carbs, 37% in a cup :-O We can\'t handle that many carbs. A diet high in carbs for your entire life may result in health problems. Weight control foods aren\'t any better than regular foods. for losing weight. What you need is to reduce your intake of calories and excercise more. Canned foods have a lot less calories than dry foods so you might want to add more canned fod to your diet. It\'s suggested to eat about 20 calories per pound of ideal body weight every day. Lose the extra weight slowly to avoid serious health problems. Canned food chart Dry food chart Non-US foods chart