Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Is my human being a bit paranoid?

Nanaho SawanoNanaho Sawano Member Posts: 108
edited 4 December, 2007 in Laws & Legislation
...I think so. I'm not sure if this is the right forum for it, but my human got a bit spooked by something my brother Trooper's rescuer said recently. You see, last September (2006, not this year), Trooper was dumped in a nearby alley when his last "human" moved away. He was freezing and forlorn until finally his rescuer trapped him a couple of months later and fostered him. Several more months later, he came home to us. A few days ago, Trooper's rescuer found out from one of the catloving people of Trooper's old neighborhood that last month his former "human" came looking for him. Because apparently she now had a place that allowed cats. And she wanted him back. Trooper's former "human" was furious to find out from the catloving neighbor that Trooper had since been adopted and rescued out. Trooper's rescuer for her part was spitting nails after she heard that story, saying what gall Trooper's former "human" had, dumping him outside like some piece of trash, assuming he would fend for himself all by himself through the cold of winter, etc, and then just expect Trooper to be waiting for her to return. After an entire year. Naturally, no one told Trooper's former "human" where Trooper wound up. Our present human knows it's next to impossible that Trooper's former "human" would track him down to us. But, if she ever did, would there be the slightest chance that she would be able to legally contest our human's guardianship of my brother Trooper?? I think not, but our human is still a bit worried...

Comments

• Diana GabaldonDiana Gabaldon PortlandMember Posts: 5,607
    edited 19 November, 2007
    Hi Simba. I think you are 100% fine and there is little to no chance that this awful person could take you back. I see by your profile that you were adopted via a Humane Society. It was a legal and official adoption. Tell your human not to worry at all. I hope the person who dumped you doesn't try to adopt any other animals. What an awful thing to do. Nothing upsets me more than a housecat being dumped because they don't know how to fend or themselves at all. If the nice lady knows this persons name I would call the HS and tell them. Maybe they keep a list of "do not adopt to" people. It sounds like you came out the winner in this situation. You have a wonderful home with people who love you.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 19 November, 2007
    If this human had any decency, s/he would be satisfied with the fact that Trooper has a good home now, even if s/he didn't know where. I went and read your brother's life story, and if I were the cat rescue lady I would not give this human the time of day. Trooper ceased to be her cat the day s/he decided to dump him and his mother (who I doubt s/he fixed), and that's that. You do not leave them cats on the street in the dead of winter, even if you "intend" to go back for them: that's more than irresponsible, it is negletful. S/he does not deserve another cat, let alone getting Trooper back. The Humane Society would probably be in your corner in a heartbeat.
  • Nanaho SawanoNanaho Sawano Member Posts: 108
    edited 19 November, 2007
    Thanks for your responses...that's what everybody our human's talked to has told her. But, well, she wants to be extra special careful, because losing either of us would be devastating for her. By the way...sorry, I edited my first post a bit to make things clearer--I'm the WHS shelter kitty, not my brother Trooper, who's a local rescue kitty. Trooper never went through the shelter system, and it's Trooper, not me, whose former "human" came looking for. It's just that as Alpha-Cat-And-Head-Of-The-Household, naturally I've appointed myself the Catster representative of my family and I was the one who decided to post about the situation. But, shelter or rescue, there isn't any difference in this case though, right?
  • joy wampolejoy wampole Member Posts: 626
    edited 19 November, 2007
    Dear Simba and Trooper, You have absolutley nothing to worry about. On the other hand the horrible person who abandoned Trooper has everything to worry about. Not only was that a morally despicable thing to do, where I live it is illegal, and if you check your local laws, I'll bet you will find it is probably illegall where you live also. Rest easy little furball and end enjoy some holiday turkey and give thanks to having a safe and warm place to stay . Purrs, Sophie and family|:|
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 19 November, 2007
    Well, if the rescuer documented the circumstances of his rescue and his subsequent adoption, you legally have nothing to worry about. That said, even if you do not have that paperwork, you probably have other documents that help establish ownership... If you took care of Trooper's vet bills either before or after the rescue lady had you adopt him out, you may have a case to claim ownership by virtue of taking possession of and having been the primary caretaker of this pet after the woman left it in an alley, thereby abandoning it. I know it sucks that pets are considered property, but if you want to put your mind a bit more at ease, you might want to consult someone who knows the laws in your state regarding lost, found, and abandoned property (in some states there are statuses of limitation for reclaiming abandoned property, and in other states things are not as clearcut).
  • Ashley NollenAshley Nollen RichmondMember Posts: 333
    edited 19 November, 2007
    It is illegal to dump animals. And if the animal is not claimed within 10 days (if they have a collar on, less if there is no collar) then the animal becomes the property of the person who found them. This is why animal control MUST hold a pet to see if someone claims it- because it is not legaly their's until the proper time passes. Anyway its less than 2 weeks time and you have had your kitty way longer than that. They have NO legal standing AND would be in trouble with the law if they even tried to take this to court. |^|
  • L TL T New YorkMember Posts: 2,000
    edited 20 November, 2007
    Dear Simba, You and your brofur, (and your momma too) have nothing to worry aboyt what Woolfie siad is 100% correct. I volunteer at the Humane Society and I called over and spoke with a few of the employees their and I told them what Wolfie posted and they confirmed evfurrything said... And they also said anypurr can still make a complaint against this woman... Another thing is the HS DOES keep a list of people they will not adopt too and they pass their info on to other shelters across the US and Canada, so purrrlease if anypurr has her name report her as no other kitty should have to endur what your brofur did, who knows the next kitty might not be as lucky!!!
  • Misty ChristoMisty Christo OmahaMember Posts: 806
    edited 23 November, 2007
    I'm sure it's all been said before, but if Trooper was dumped in an alley, then his "human" doesn't deserve to get him back! An alley doesn't count as boarding! Would this person rather Trooper was hit by a car or frozen to death. This is a case of Stupid Human Syndrome if I ever heard it. "Duh, I'll just put my cat here for safe keeping." There's nothing to worry about. Trooper was left to fend for himself and we all know how that can play out. The only thing I'm worried about is this person will probably turn around and get another cat! This person doesn't deserve the pleasure of an animal's company.
  • edited 23 November, 2007
    I can post from personal experience here. Almost a year ago I was tossed out in the back hall of the building we live in by my former "owner". The great people I live with now rescued me on December 2. They brought me inside their apartment freezing cold, basically skin and bones and absolutely terrified of EVERYTHING. After a few hours I warmed up and ate some food and drank some water, even though I was terrified of the water dish my new mom ran the kitchen faucet and I drank from the running water. She tried 4 times over the next few weeks to find out if my former "owner" wanted me back. She knocked on the door every few days at different times of the day and when no one answered the door so she left notes in their mailbox. Each note was dated and the time was written on them. She even qouted the state law regarding abandoned animals and stated the options she could take if I was not reclaimed by a certain date(12/14). Well the date came along and she still had not heard from my former "owner" other people in the building had even tried telling the lady that I was here. So my new humans decided to keep me. Well lo and behold the lady came down back in Febuary trying to claim that she had been looking for me and wanted me back. My new humans did not let her in and I was hiding so she couldn't see me. My new humans spent a lot of time and money to make me healthy again. The lady said that she was going to call the cops on my new humans and my new mom said "Go ahead." Well by the time the lady called my new mom had already called and the police were on their way. They spoke to my new mom and then the other lady. They told her that given the amount of time that had gone by and all the money my new humans put into getting me healthy that it was beyond a police matter and that if she truely wanted me back she would have to file a case in small claims court and get a judges order for me to be returned but that judging from the vet papers and the pictures my new mom was smart enough to gather together they did not think a judge would rule in the other ladies favor. She wanted them to take me and give me back to them and they told her that they couldn't do that and that until she had a judges order I was to stay living here. Well she never bothered going to the court so here I still am safe, warm, dry, well fed and healthy......not to mention happy.
  • Misty ChristoMisty Christo OmahaMember Posts: 806
    edited 24 November, 2007
    SirChirps! You have a clever Mommy!
  • Kelly HendryKelly Hendry Charlottesville, VAMember Posts: 556
    edited 27 November, 2007
    Both of your boys are gorgeous, its obvious that they were meant to be brothers! I am a huge fan of micro chipping for many reasons and proof of ownership is one of them, although it really sounds like you should be completely fine. I seriously doubt that this woman would ever go through the time and expense of recovering a cat she left on the street using a civil suit even if she did know where he was or who you are.
  • terri echolsterri echols kalamazooMember Posts: 4,758
    edited 4 December, 2007
    check out the laws in your state, property laws and laws re: pet abandonment/animal cruelty. i think you\'ll be able to find that the law as well as common sense and decency are on your side-and you\'ll be able to make a double-barreled attack. she comes to your place, be ready with the letter of the law, and ask her if she\'s ready to pay her fine now online, or would she like to wait until the cops come for her? animal abandonment is a crime in every state i\'ve lived in. it is not often enforced, but it can be. and someone needs to get this ditzy chick\'s name and get her on a \"do not adopt\" list.... collate your vet bills, and all photographs...especially earlier ones when trooper looked at his worst. all this is evidence in your hypothetical custody case. most likely won\'t come to that. but you might be less jittery if you\'re prepared. as far as that goes, you can lie. can this person PROVE this is her cat? does she have DNA? a microchip (surely not)? but honestly...if she cared enough to push it and push it, trooper would have never been tossed out like an empty tuna can. so i think all is well in fursville...but do keep us posted.