Instinct?

Kelly HendryKelly Hendry Charlottesville, VAMember Posts: 556
edited 7 December, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
The natural pet food store was out of InnovaEvo and recommended Instinct instead. The boys really don't care, they'll eat ANYTHING (including weird things that they find on the floor....) Its still grain free and the clerk said it came out pretty recently. I'm wondering if anyone else has tried it and what people think. Its made by Nature's Variety. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Lucybelle GLucybelle G Member Posts: 96
    edited 30 November, 2007
    I just check the ingredient listing :- Instinct Chicken Meal Feline Formula • Grain-Free • Over 90% of the protein is from chicken meal & salmon meal • Exclusive freeze dried raw Bio-Coating • Complete and balanced for all life stages • Guaranteed to improve skin and coat! Healthy, Natural Ingredients:- Chicken Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Tapioca, Pumpkinseeds, Salmon Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Montmorillonite Clay, Chicken Liver Flavor, Chicken Liver, Dried Kelp, DL-Methionine, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Beta Carotene, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Sea Salt, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite), Taurine, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Inulin, Flaxseed Oil, Apples, Chicken Eggs, Cottage Cheese, Cranberries, Freeze Dried Chicken, Freeze Dried Turkey, Freeze Dried Turkey Liver, Freeze Dried Turkey Hearts, Carrots, Ground Chicken Bone, Butternut Squash, Ground Flaxseeds, Broccoli, Lettuce, Spinach, Salmon Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Parsley, Honey, Blueberries, Rosemary Extract, Alfalfa Sprouts, Olive Oil, Persimmons, Duck Eggs, Pheasant Eggs, Quail Eggs, Sage, Clove. Close to EVO since it also caters to a grain free diet - which my Lucy Belle is also on. I'd say give it a try. Sound good to me
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 30 November, 2007
    Nature's Variety Instinct line The dry food is very good. It's grain-free and low in carbs. I eat the canned food and it's yummy. NV Instinct is not new. It's been on the market for at least a year now.
  • Kelly HendryKelly Hendry Charlottesville, VAMember Posts: 556
    edited 2 December, 2007
    I think I jinxed myself. I'd been gradually switching them to the Instinct and trying to decide if it was what I wanted to feed them permanently. Well, right after I put that post up they went to about 80% Instinct and now Sam isn't eating it. I put some Science Diet in his bowl today and he was VERY happy : ( The pet store we buy from has apparently decided not to carry Innova Evo anymore, so the only grain free they have is the Instinct. I bought Artemis (which has grains) to mix in and tide them over until I figure something out but apparently Sam won't touch that either. I'm going to try and request free samples of some grain free. Does anyone else have a picky one who likes something in particular? For a cat that likes tortilla chips, Sam has me baffled.....
  • Kara DickmanKara Dickman Middle of No WhereMember Posts: 2,283 ✭✭
    edited 2 December, 2007
    That picky eater would be me! I hate chicken and am allergic to fish. Mommy has a terrible time finding food for me....
  • kate vonkkate vonk BoiseMember Posts: 1,313
    edited 3 December, 2007
    has anyone noticed that instinct kibbles are pretty large? i bought my kitties the rabbit instinct yesterday. it was a great deal. i bought the 14 pound bag and got on 4 pound bag free with the www.naturesvariety.com/tryit coupon. today i opened up the small bag to start switching them over to that since they have been eating serengeti. maybe it's not that big. it looked bigger than evo if i remember correctly. but then again serengeti does have the teeniest kibble ever.
  • Christy MChristy M Member Posts: 329
    edited 7 December, 2007
    What flavor of Instinct did you try, Sam? We ate Instinct for quite awhile until we had to switch to a special UT diet due to my urinary tract/bladder issues, and we LOVED the Chicken but absolutely would not touch the rabbit. So perhaps if you tried a different flavor it might help?
  • kate vonkkate vonk BoiseMember Posts: 1,313
    edited 7 December, 2007
    we don't like the rabbit either. mom is thinking of exchanging it for chicken. she tried to rotate our proteins but we wouldn't have any of that!