IS 4 TOO MANY???

KIM JOHNSONKIM JOHNSON NUTLEYMember Posts: 387
edited 7 December, 2007 in Choosing the Right Cat
Mommy fell in love AGAIN! So did Daddy. She is a small orange tabby that rolls over when you pet her & purrs loudly. She seems so gentle. She actually was rescued from a home that had 43 cats!!:-O We have a happy (most of the time) home with 3 of us already. The only issue now is that the oldest (Maggie) is not really happy about her two new brothers. Will another put her over the edge?? We don't want to hurt anyone's feelings anymore or change their personalities! by adding another cat. WIll 3 litter boxes be enough for 4? Will 2 people be able to give 4 enough attention? Any advice? Mommy already has a name picked out for the new girl. The only thing that has her worried is this brown drippy eye she has. Her poor eye is very runny. The lady told us that the vet told her she may always have this condition & it's not an infection. Do we adopt?:-k

Comments

• melissa muttermelissa mutter West ChesterMember Posts: 10,189
    edited 1 December, 2007
    I was the fourth and NONE of my siblings like me! Apparently I have 'tortitude'. Mom & Dad keep hoping that when I reach maturity (not sexual maturity that is reached a lot earlier, but cat maturity between 3-5 years) that things will change, but it is typically chaos around here. Boxie & Ravi get along and Ravi and Hopper get along, but no one else gets along with anyone else. We all have our own rooms and us girls get put in our rooms at night and during the time that we are all together Mom & Dad keep a spray bottle handy. Mom & Dad really tried hard when they introduced us, and we recently moved and so they did the intoroductions again after the move, at first it went really well, but now we are back at it again! Mostly my fault MOL! But if your parents have a lot of time and a lot of patience I think it can work. Who know you guys may even all get along!
  • melissa muttermelissa mutter West ChesterMember Posts: 10,189
    edited 1 December, 2007
    I was the fourth and NONE of my siblings like me! Apparently I have 'tortitude'. Mom & Dad keep hoping that when I reach maturity (not sexual maturity that is reached a lot earlier, but cat maturity between 3-5 years) that things will change, but it is typically chaos around here. Boxie & Ravi get along and Ravi and Hopper get along, but no one else gets along with anyone else. We all have our own rooms and us girls get put in our rooms at night and during the time that we are all together Mom & Dad keep a spray bottle handy. Mom & Dad really tried hard when they introduced us, and we recently moved and so they did the intoroductions again after the move, at first it went really well, but now we are back at it again! Mostly my fault MOL! But if your parents have a lot of time and a lot of patience I think it can work. Who know you guys may even all get along!
  • Darlene WagnerDarlene Wagner MilwaukeeMember Posts: 1,075
    edited 1 December, 2007
    Having another girl may even things up a bit. In the end it is space, and money...do you have an enough space for each cat to have a place to get away from the others? Do you have enough money to take care of ill pets? As for litter boxes-my friend has 4 cats and 3 boxes, and all is well in their house.
  • JessicaJessica Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 December, 2007
    Mrrowww, I'm the second of four cats, and we all pretty much get along. We have our spats sometimes but what housemates don't, mol.
  • Kristen MaranciakKristen Maranciak PittsburghMember Posts: 560
    edited 3 December, 2007
    There are 6 of us here. I was the last to come along. Mommy caught my sister Sunny first then me. The house gets a little crazy at times...like right now! We are all chasing each other around. We pretty much get along. We do have some spats occasionally. The three newer kitties usually hang out together and other three kitties that were here before us usually hang out. It works pretty well. As for the litter box I would say get one more if you decided to get the fourth kitty. We currently have 7 therefore there are no litter box issues. Purrs Beamer
  • Amy BAmy B KershawMember Posts: 3,254
    edited 4 December, 2007
    I was the last addition to our family. ^~~^ Mama had four and lost one and got me. She\'s got two litterboxes and has no issues (they\'re the BIG ones that have covers). The only thing she would suggest is keep an eye on the oldest. My oldest sister has issues when she gets stressed and it\'s hard to get her back to normal. If things are done gradually all should go well! Good luck!
  • Dana OPrayDana OPray TorontoMember Posts: 283
    edited 5 December, 2007
    I was the fourth in our family, and we had to move into a bacholer. We all get along great. We drive mum a bit batty at times though (hehe her own private spot is the bathroom) we even took over the closet as our spot. Our two litters are in there and mum stores the extra litter and food up on the shelf. It may help that the oldest is only 3 and a bit years.
  • Michelle CoonMichelle Coon Reed CityMember Posts: 5
    edited 5 December, 2007
    My mommy has 10 cats in her house and we get along very well. There are days when we fight but most of the time it's really calm. Since we are all inside AND outside cats, if we want to get away from our brothers and sister than all we have to do is go for a walk outside.
  • KIM JOHNSONKIM JOHNSON NUTLEYMember Posts: 387
    edited 7 December, 2007
    Well, Mommy is going to look at cat #4 tonight. If she falls in love, he is coming home!
  • KIM JOHNSONKIM JOHNSON NUTLEYMember Posts: 387
    edited 7 December, 2007
    I forgot to mention, the first kitty she fell in love with, someone adopted her:(( Do not wait if you fall in love....let that be a lesson!
  • cassandra ehrlichcassandra ehrlich mesaMember Posts: 32
    edited 7 December, 2007
    Oh no, sorry you didn't get the kitty you wanted. That is too bad, i know the feeling. As for the is 4 too many question, it all depends on your cats. When i adopted Dr Zoddies and his brother Regis, they were numbers 4 and 5. I have 3 other cats, 2 female, and 1 other male. One of the females, Beedu, was pretty antisocial, she didn't get long with her sis Febby, or my little boy Remy. But as soon as we adopet Dr Zee and Regis, she started coming out more often. Now shes a pretty social cat. Ive seen it go the other way though, where a social cat turns antisocial with new additions to the family. So it all depends on your cats. But for us it turned out to be the best thing ever! I can never say no to a kitty and we are always looking for a new one. So good luck!