Doesn\'t Anyone Want A Young Adult Cat

Alana RobertsAlana Roberts BrooklynMember Posts: 758
edited 15 December, 2007 in Choosing the Right Cat
It seems everyone wants kittens or purebreeds but what about the rest of us, we deserve a home too! In fact us young adults are better than both of those because we're calmer but still playful and aren't full of congenital defects from inbreeding.

Comments

• Michele AshleyMichele Ashley Chattanooga/HixsonMember Posts: 3,161
    edited 21 September, 2007
    Pricillia, I agree with you. Momma got all of us when we were full grown. She didnt care if we were purebreed or not. I am purring you find your forever home very soon.
  • Debbi ZimblerDebbi Zimbler New YorkMember Posts: 14
    Priscilla, you will find your furr-ever home soon. I was abandoned at 10 months old. For 5 months I lived at a vets and every Saturday I would have to sit on display in a pet store hoping someone would give me a home. I was 15 months old by the time I met my mom. She had recently lost a cat and wanted another companion. As much as she loves kittens, she knew that she didn't have the time that young kittens need. She met me and it was love at first purr. There are wonderful people out there who want us non-babies. It may take a little time, but you will find your family soon.
  • Gary SturgesGary Sturges TorontoMember Posts: 80
    Don't give up hope Priscilla , I'm sure there's someone out there that will give you a good loving home . My daddy had no qualms about adopting me , even though I was already 6 years old and a black cat ( as you can see .... LOL !! ) . I was in a cage at the Humane Society for 6 long months before a nice girl adopted me , but she couldn't keep me and put me up for adoption . My daddy came along and adopted me and things are great . Sometimes it just takes awhile for the right person to come along .
  • Jason YoungbergJason Youngberg WheatonMember Posts: 251
    I was abandoned when I was 4 years old. Then I spent about 6 months waiting for someone to take me home. My Daddy-to-be took one look at me, read my card, and said to the adoption people "I want to take him home". Why don't more humans see the advantages of adopting adult cats? We don't need to be litter trained. We don't get into as much trouble. We can still love you with all our hearts. You know what we're going to look like for years to come. Adoption is forever, kittenhood doesn't last. When you find your home, it will be yours all your life. My Daddy will always adopt adult cats in the future and will encourage more people to as well.
  • Pat BeckPat Beck Spokane/SouthhillMember Posts: 878
    How pretty you are! I was about 20 months old, when my Mom came out to the rescue group, where I was living, and immediately knew she wanted me. She had first seen me on my Petfinders profile(are you on Petfinders?). A few months earlier, Mom had lost my Bridge Sister, Heidi, who had passed away at 14. Mom was definitely looking for a young adult Cat. Everybody loves the babies, but, Mom lives by herself and works full time, so, she knew she was not the right owner for a very young kitten. A couple months later, Mom went back to the same rescue group, having decided she wanted a 2nd Cat, especially as a friend for me, since she had to be gone so much. She was looking for another young adult, but, met my Sister Checkers, who was only about 4.5 months old. Since Mom already had one Cat, and the kitten wouldn\'t be alone, and Checkers wasn\'t a tiny baby, Mom decided to adopt her. It worked out great!! It only took a few days till we were playing together. I\'m a gentle Cat, Checkers is social, so we bonded! There are lots of people who appreciate adult Cat\'s and we know you will find your special Human soon!
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    Don't worry Priscilla, there is a human out there who you will be adopting soon. As another cat asked are you on Petfinder. We have seen it mentioned many times here in the forums as a way for a cat to find a human. As far as some humans wanting a purebred cat....tell your foster meowmy to tell prospective parents that you are a ARC (Absolutely Rotten Cat), that is what our meowmy tells people when they ask what breed we are (MOL). We will be purring and praying that you find your furrever home. And God Bless the family that has taken you in and taken you off the street. Please post as soon as you adopt someone, we LOVE to read about kitties adopting people and taking over their homes. Visit us, Benny Grunch, Emma and Louis
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    Don't worry Priscilla, there is a human out there who you will be adopting soon. As another cat asked are you on Petfinder. We have seen it mentioned many times here in the forums as a way for a cat to find a human. As far as some humans wanting a purebred cat....tell your foster meowmy to tell prospective parents that you are a ARC (Absolutely Rotten Cat), that is what our meowmy tells people when they ask what breed we are (MOL). We will be purring and praying that you find your furrever home. And God Bless the family that has taken you in and taken you off the street. Please post as soon as you adopt someone, we LOVE to read about kitties adopting people and taking over their homes. Visit us, Benny Grunch, Emma and Louis
  • Shellie DeanShellie Dean BadenMember Posts: 330
    Mom volunteers in a shelter, and always does her best to steer people toward the young adults. They\'re less flighty, more predictable, and their personality is pretty much developed by then. She adopted me when I was a young adult; somewhere between 10-18 mos. old. These are also the best kitties for homes with the elderly or very young children, as they are less likely to play-bite or scratch their humans and cause injury. Hang in there Priscilla--you\'ll find your fur-ever home someday, and it will be worth the wait.:c9
  • Stephanie LitosStephanie Litos Member Posts: 210
    Priscilla, I totally agree. Just look at my motto beneath my photo! I was adopted when I was a senior cat--somewhere between seven and ten years old! I was in foster care for nine months and went to adoption days every Saturday and sat in a cage. But eventually the right people found me and took me home. Now that kitten season is winding down I bet you find that more people are interested in adoption you. Good luck!
  • Alana RobertsAlana Roberts BrooklynMember Posts: 758
    edited 22 September, 2007
    I sure hope you guys are right, foster mum has me advertised on petfinder under the BARC shelter group, a great organization that lets independent rescuers list on their page. I'm also up here, on facebook and on Craigslist. Mum's going to print some pics up of me and put them up at her work too! I just want my forever home is that too much to ask for?
  • Pat BeckPat Beck Spokane/SouthhillMember Posts: 878
    Keep the faith Priscilla. There are lot\'s of people that prefer adult cats. The babies grow up and become adult cats, but until they do, they require lot\'s of time and attention, and the best thing about adults, is that you know their personality. The rescuer\'s/foster\'s, can tell potential adopters if a cat is shy or social, if they get along with other cat\'s or would be best as an only kitty, etc. Your people will come, prayers and crossed paws that it\'s soon for you.
  • joy wampolejoy wampole Member Posts: 626
    My best luck has come from talking to every single person I come into contact with, whether it's at my dentist, doctor, grocery store(people I know who might know somebody) networking for cats! I've had more adopted out this way then from the Pet Smart! And the best part of it is that I have been able to get constant updates! Somebody always knows somebody even though thay don't think they do!I always put myself out there and continue to ask, ask, ask, I get alot of "no's" but I've had a few "yes's " and they've been great homes!I hope Priscilla has been getting along well with your other kittys! She will find her home , There are a lot of people that like older kittys rather than the hyper little one's ! Priscilla will find her Graceland ! Purrs, Sophie
  • Michelle DawsonMichelle Dawson BaltimoreMember Posts: 1,619
    edited 24 September, 2007
    Priscilla! I completely agree ... young adult cats are great new additions to homes! Mom adopted me (or rather, I adopted her!!) when I was approximately 3 or 4, in 1993, and we were together until I passed on to the Bridge this summer. I was the best kitty/Mommy relationship ever, and we miss each other a lot. Young adult cats are great family members and can be with you a very long time! Waverly=;
  • Darlene WagnerDarlene Wagner MilwaukeeMember Posts: 1,075
    edited 24 September, 2007
    You will find a good home mommy got Cleo when Cleo was 3 years old, and now she got me, and I am 3 years old-so we can get good homes-you will see!!!!
  • Tanya MundyTanya Mundy boulderMember Posts: 763
    edited 25 September, 2007
    Recently, my mommy's Dulci died. she ONLY wanted a cat that was between 1-5 years. Those, she said, were the best. I was 5, but i lied about my age on teh first card, and mommy thought i was four. it's like a lady to lie about age, you know.
  • Darlene WagnerDarlene Wagner MilwaukeeMember Posts: 1,075
    edited 25 September, 2007
    I sat at the humane society for a month because of my "mean" looking eyes, and I wasn't "fluffy and cute," but mommy loved me and brought me home, so you will get a home. It just takes the right person.
  • emily daltonemily dalton Member Posts: 12
    edited 3 October, 2007
    i realy dont care if my cats a pure bread or kitten or the oglyest cat alive i love all cats go cats go;c;
  • Nanaho SawanoNanaho Sawano Member Posts: 108
    edited 17 October, 2007
    Don't give up hope! I relate really personally to this topic, because my first adopter from the shelter returned me in under a month because she decided she wanted a kitten instead!! PFFFFF!! HISS!!! I was/am about 4-5 years young. But after some more months, I found my human, and I couldn't wish it any other way. (Well of course other than I wish I'd found her sooner, of course.)
  • Nanaho SawanoNanaho Sawano Member Posts: 108
    edited 17 October, 2007
    Oh yeah...and my brother Trooper was about a year and a half old when he adopted the human, too.
  • JessicaJessica Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 October, 2007
    chloe's meowmy says: I definitely agree with you there. Working at a no-kill shelter, it can be hard to see the same adult cats sitting in cages week after week, month after month, while the kittens go in and out. Adult cats generally have their personality set, and aren't as destructive as little kittens can be. I rescued chloe and Sable when they were already grown, and it is much more rewarding rescuing an adult rather than a kitten. Everyone wants kittens. The adults need homes most.
  • terri echolsterri echols kalamazooMember Posts: 4,758
    edited 2 December, 2007
    i feel guilty reading this thread
  • terri echolsterri echols kalamazooMember Posts: 4,758
    edited 3 December, 2007
    sorry, let me explain. my attention wandered. we\'re trying to adopt siblings for churrah, a ten year old maine coonish kitty. open, affectionate, loving-but skittish. bringing in a young adult cat might overwhelm him, while bringing in a couple of youngsters-and our aim is three total anyway-would take the pressure off of him as they\'ll play with themselves and he can do his hang back in the tall grass thing. we\'re even trying to take in two at once, despite the madness that WILL ensue, so that everyone can adjust to each other in one swell foop. does that make sense? but if i were looking for an only cat, or if churrah were a tad less insecure and neurotic , i\'d take you, priscilla...but churrah is top cat, and can put on his own hat...and i\'m babbling...
    edited 9 December, 2007
    MEOWWWWW my situation is getting desperate, no one serious has even been interested in me and now my foster can't keep me. My out date is December 23rd! What am I to do, i post everywhere and only crazy bunchers even contact me. HELP!!!!!!
  • joy wampolejoy wampole Member Posts: 626
    edited 9 December, 2007
    Priscilla, I feel SO bad for you, I was in this same position not that long ago myself. If I lived closer I would help you out in a minute! Even if only to provide a temp. foster till Priscilla could find her foever home,C'mon New York , there's GOTTA be someone there , after all it is a big city with LOTS of people.....Dosn't anyone have an open spot in their hearts for this cat? This foster mom has helped SO many others, can't we help her PLEASE?
  • Amy BAmy B KershawMember Posts: 3,254
    edited 9 December, 2007
    I was the youngest when mama got me at 6 months... but I was kind of an accident... MOL. The home I was going to go to was going to make me an outdoor cat and mama couldn\'t let that happen... ^~~^ Taillee was 8, Kittanna and Tigger were 2 and Lilly was 18 months when she got them. Here\'s purring you find a home!!
    edited 15 December, 2007
    Still nothing, I'm so VERY sweet and even climbed in foste rmum's lap last night for the first time, isn't there anyone who wants a little brooklyn kitty of their very own????