Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

should we? HELP!!!

Brittany ReedBrittany Reed Des Moines, IAMember Posts: 133
edited 31 December, 2007 in Choosing the Right Cat
Athena's mommy here - In our household, there are 2 cats. athena (4 yrs old) and puddy (8yrs old), both spayed females. we live in a 1 bedroom apt... not very big. not sure how many square feet. (it was 2 bedrooms, but the wall was knocked down and made into 1). kitchen and living room kinda connected, and then the bathroom. anyway, there is a cat at petsmart up for adoption. she is between 10 and 15 yrs old. their not sure because she was a stray. she has 1 tooth, and is SO sweet. she seems very loving. my husband and myself really want to give her a good home for the rest of her life. but our only hesitations are space, and how she would get along with our 2 kitty babies we have now, since there is not much info on her etc. :-/ we feed our cats what we were told was the best food (wellness canned sometimes) and science diet perscription cd i think (urin problems, and the other one they were on was too fatty), but i'm hoping to switch completly to wellness for them. their taken to the vet whenever needed.. and we can financially do it. it's just a matter of space, and making sure our babies we have now have enough room, and if they would all get along. the cat at petsmart has claws, (ours dont in the front) so we would get the claw gard things to put on her. but yeah.... i need to know what you guys think. oh, and i dont know if this makes any difference or not, but athena is the dominate cat in the house, and somtimes picks on puddy. please please please let me know what you think soon!

Comments

• Maggie BussaMaggie Bussa Member Posts: 191
    edited 17 December, 2007
    Well, for one thing, make sure it is ok with the landlord. Second, if you have a dominant cat, can the folks at petsmart tell you about the personality of the older kitty? If the older kitty is not dominant, it will be easier to introduce the kitty than if the kitty was dominant. If all goes well, you should still keep the new kitty in the bathroom for a while (a couple of days at least) until you get the new kitty in for a vet visit and let them sniff each other under the door. I lived in a Center City apartment that was a one bedroom with 3 cats for a year and they were all just fine. So as long as the landlord is ok with it, you may want to try adopting the kitty! BTW, I applaud you for wanting to take in a senior kitty...they have a hard time finding homes!!!=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>
  • Kelly HendryKelly Hendry Charlottesville, VAMember Posts: 556
    edited 17 December, 2007
    We got Sophia older and she didn't love other kitties. But since she was older, she didn't have that much energy and just really wanted to spend all her time napping on the sofa or napping on us. She got along fine with my parents cats (who hated each other and all other cats, lol) because they just stayed out of each other's ways. I think its always hard to introduce a new kitty, but it can work : )
    edited 17 December, 2007
    Right now I have a 10 year old, a 6 year old, a 2 year old and a 1 year old cat. None of them are related and I never had any major problems with bringing a newbie into the fold. I don't know why, but in my entire lifetime, I only ever had one cat that took a long time to bond with a new kitty and she was half siamese and was several years old as an "only kitty" when we brought in a kitten. Some people have a lot of trouble....but I can't say that I have. Either I am very lucky, or my cats are well adjusted.
  • Brittany ReedBrittany Reed Des Moines, IAMember Posts: 133
    edited 18 December, 2007
    just to update you guys, we went to petsmart yesterday to see this cat. we got her out and played with her for a little while, and got an other cat out just to see... how they did. the other cat did really well, but the cat we were wanting to get ... she didnt go after the cat, but would swat at her if the otehr cat came near her. she seemed very frail... etc... i still want to get her, but i dont know how well she would do in our household with my 4 yr old cat .... whom loves to pester the other cat in the house. i think after a little while. the cats we have now would adjust just fine. but now i'm worried about how the cat at petsmart would do here. i wouldnt want to put more stress on her . you know?
    edited 18 December, 2007
    Well, my 10 year old NEVER wants to play. And all the 2 year old wants to do is play. My 10 year old periodically just has to make his wishes known. Even if I step in, Armand (the 10 year old) can usually take care of himself on his own. A bit vocally and with some swatting, but Lucius does take the hint. Of course you must use your own judgement, but I find, in my experience, that in most cases the cats I have brought together can figure things out on their own....without injury.
  • Sharon BraatenSharon Braaten Great BarringtonMember Posts: 842
    edited 18 December, 2007
    Mom got me when I was 12 . . . I am almost 19 now! I had a slow adjustment to my new home. Mom only had Yoda at the time who was 3 years old. Then 3 years ago Mom adopted Leaf. I don't get along great with the boys, but I love my mommy and am so happy to have a warm loving home with lots of good food and love! Sometimes I hiss at the boys because I'm older and all they want to do is play, but they actually give me a lot of much needed exercise with all their playfulness. I think they will adjust in time, just like we did.
  • Michelle MelvilleMichelle Melville Member Posts: 96
    edited 30 December, 2007
    How did things go?? I dare say at their ages your cats would adjust quicker than the older cat but then it may come in to individual or breed temperament. I've seen 1 cat accept another without an issue, yet hated another cat, or appeared to i should say. Shiloh will run from every cat apart from his housemate persian and the cat next door. he's terrified of me and i'm only a baby. Although he is now at the point where he will watch me play but won't get involved.
  • Stephanie ChangtuStephanie Changtu MiamiMember Posts: 1,175
    edited 31 December, 2007
    I don't really have an answer but I just wanted to tell you that the cat from petsmart is a senior kitty,She's gonna want to sleep all day or just lay down all day.