Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Renting pets

Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
edited 16 January, 2008 in Laws & Legislation
This was in the newspaper awhile ago: Service lets you pay for time with a dog -- but don\'t call it rent-a-pet Baiscally, the business lets people rent a pet on a weekly or monthly basis. Why would anyone want to rent a pet?? :? Pets need a permanent home and care. These rental pets get shuffled around to many different people who each have their own way of caring for the pet. There is no consistency in the care and behavioral problems may develop. The MSPCA is taking action on keeping the business out of the state: MSPCA web site on renting pets. It\'s a very bad idea to rent pets out when there are so many pets in shelters who are waiting for homes. If a person doesn\'t have the time to care for a pet full time, then they can volunteer at a shelter or other place or foster a pet instead of renting one.

Comments

• Vanessa BobackVanessa Boback TampaMember Posts: 3,149
    edited 14 November, 2007
    That's rediculous!! I didn't even want to read the whole thing!! All people want these days is money and they will do whatever it takes to get it including making up some statements of why this is such a great idea. Not to mention confuse the poor dog beyond belief and possibly put his health at risk. This is just a make money scheme and just like any company that is up to no good has some good but FALSE statements to back them up. I never thought I would see the day when u could "rent-a-pet" and it's funny that the founder gets mad when she hears that because that's EXACTLY WHAT IT IS!! :?
  • Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    edited 13 November, 2007
    I couldn't rent a pet! I'd want it to be mine, all mine! I'm so glad both my girls are all mine! Nobody can take them away from me. It would be hard on the pet, to go from one home to the other too. I once had a dream that someone liked Squeakers so much that she was willing to pay me money to rent Squeakers for a day, because she owns an art gallery and she thought Squeakers would be a beautiful addition (true!) so, reluctantly I said that she could take Squeakers, but just for the day, she could pick her up before I went to work, but I wanted her back by the evening. When I got home, I called the lady to ask her when she'd be dropping off Squeakers, since I can't drive, I couldn't pick her up (of course, I could've taken a cab or asked my mother to pick her up, but that's what makes a dream, a dream) and she said in a couple hours, she would bring my cat back. Well hours and hours went by, no lady, no Squeakers. I finally called her again, and she said she forgot, and that she'd bring Squeakers home in the morning. I told her the exact time I had to leave, and that I wanted Squeakers in my arms before I had to leave. The next morning she called and said she wanted to keep Squeakers for a little while longer. To make a long story short, I woke up screaming "I want Squeakers! GIVE ME MY CAT!" It freaked Squeakers out so much she ran off the bed, so when I didn't see her, it made me scream even more! Thank goodness it was only a dream. I would NEVER give Squeakers away, no matter how much money they offered!
  • Audrey McAnarneyAudrey McAnarney Atlanta, GeorgiaMember Posts: 1,982
    edited 13 November, 2007
    That is terrible :? What\'s next, Rent-A-Child?
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 14 November, 2007
    Rent-A-Rock might be good.
  • edited 25 November, 2007
    maybe your dream was forttelling of the time when this awful thing would happen, not of your cat but to others, it might even be a dream of moral closeness between you and your cat.? Anyway I agree with the statements above about renting a pet/ maybe the toxins in our enverenment are finely catching up with us, I mean this is pritty stupid. I've heard gas, like the gas you put in cars can litterly turn your brains into mush.:-O Yes I think one day children will be rented, and also bred by science to look a curtain way be a curitan way lke purebreds to do specific work tasks like machines, thankfully we'll be LLOOONNG dead and gone by that time.
  • Carli CronjeCarli Cronje PretoriaMember Posts: 4,447
    edited 26 November, 2007
    EEEEEK!!!! :-O *faints*
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 26 November, 2007
    Mol, Apollo :)) Rent-a-rock?? :))!
  • Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    edited 26 November, 2007
    Well, there used to be the Pet Rock :)) That's about the only pet that should be rent-able!
  • edited 27 November, 2007
    I agree. Pet rocks, but whats the fun in them?:-k
  • Stephanie ChangtuStephanie Changtu Miami Fl,Member Posts: 883
    edited 28 November, 2007
    rocks don't even eat!:))!:))!:))!:))! What are rocks fun fore anyways?
  • Tanya MundyTanya Mundy boulderMember Posts: 763
    edited 3 December, 2007
    The only time i'd think of something like "rent a pet" would be for "homes", like old folks homes, or homes that house families of kids with cancer, etc. and these services are offered and they are FREE for everyone's benefit. and the pet is still YOUR pet, you are just sharing it's loving nature for a few hours a day. sheesh.
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 17 December, 2007
  • Beth HallBeth Hall South ShieldsMember Posts: 329
    edited 16 January, 2008
    Pet Rocks well. ROCK! My momma had one as a lucky charm, she is also buying a specially painted one of me, she does her own, but they are not that good mol!