Foster Home Catches Fire -No Sympathy

April SimardApril Simard WindsorMember Posts: 678
( cross post from cats in the news) On Wednesday a home in my city caught on fire because someone was using a space heater to thaw pipes. The home belonged to a woman who fosters cats for a local rescue organization. The firefighters saved 9 of the kitties and some escaped out the back door. No dead cats were found inside the home. Here's the link to the story: http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/story.html?id=4441b6ab-1baa-4268 -b70b-1c1adca52d6c&k=6599 I am a bit upset because on the website with this news story some people are actually saying the firefighters should not have bothered saving the cats.. "should have let them die" one poster said!!! I am outraged! I did post a response to that page but it has not been posted by the administrators. If you all would like to visit and make a comment about the article that would be great. This woman is a kind foster mom for kitties and she should not have to hear that her fosters should have died in a fire after she already lost her home. Geesh makes me mad.

Comments

• Tanya MundyTanya Mundy boulderMember Posts: 763
    edited 17 February, 2011
    did any of the fire fighters get hurt or die? Cause that's the ONLY reason i could understand such a sad (as in pathatic) response. I work with fire depts here, as part of our law practice, and most of the guys would go out of thier way for ANY pet, even something like a hamster or a fish - if they could do it safely. and cats and dogs, especially. most of these guys OWN pets of thier own. sighs.... what sick posters.
  • Maggie BussaMaggie Bussa Member Posts: 191
    edited 17 February, 2011
    I find these types of responses alot to "pets in the news" issues. I don't think it matters to them if anyone gets hurt or not, they would still have the same response. They don't care for much beyond themselves if not some sort of abuser in real life. Of course they are also probably too spineless to ever go one on one with someone "their own size". Who ever they are, they just try to get a rise out of people by safely posting on the net. So essentially they are also COWARDS! Any way I look at it, they aren't someone that I would associate with.....and they wouldn't dare say that kind of crap to my face because I don't put up with nonsense. There is too much disrespect and jerks taking advantage of other people and I won't let that happen in front of my own eyes or ears. Never have. Never will....all 5'3" of me.
  • Diana GabaldonDiana Gabaldon PortlandMember Posts: 5,607
    edited 17 February, 2011
    I am glad everyone seemed to have gotten out ok. We have been hearing of lots of fires lately as it usually is in the Winter time. The news here always reports on the people and animals that were saved. This is yet another reason why we support the firefighters. They will resuce people and pets without thinking about it. It is their job. We have one of those stickers in our window that tells firemen how many pets are in our house to rescue in the event of a fire. THe people that are comenting are ignorant. They aren't pet people like we are and they feel the need to make themselves important by giving their uneducated opinion on these types of stories.
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 17 February, 2011
    This is Delytew. My person's sister's apartment building burned to the ground in 20 minutes in 2006. She had three cats. The fire department didn't even bother to take a count of the *humans* who had gotten out, and refused point blank the requests of several people who asked that their pets be saved. My sister lost two of her cats, who were hiding under the bed and never came out. Another person lost their elderly dog. The newspaper accounts made the fire sound like a little thing and said nobody was hurt and it was all fine. This was a 9-unit building and these people all lost everything plus their pets! IT was all shoved under the rug because it is a tourist destination and they were afraid that people would not want to buy homes there. [And the fire was set, although they never released that info to the public.] Some fire departments are more professional than others, I guess. We see firemen rescuing dogs, cats and others around this small rural area.
  • Robin PinkhamRobin Pinkham BangorMember Posts: 1,601
    edited 17 February, 2011
    Around here it seems like most fire departments always try to save pets. In fact some departments have even gotten special little muzzle masks so they can give dogs and cats air if needed when rescued. they found the big ones didn\'t work so well, but they had been trying to use them anyway when needed I suppose yes , if one of the firefighters was hurt really badly or, god forbid, killed in a rescue attempt I can understand someone questioning the rescue of the cats, but otherwise a life saved is a life saved no matter what species. The poor lady, I hope things will turn out ok for her and she can get a new place to live soon. I feel so bad for her losing her home, but happy she and the kitties are ok
  • Jenna LuskJenna Lusk Pacific NWMember Posts: 2,034
    edited 17 February, 2011
    My best friend back home just lost her house to a fire two weeks ago. The article in the local paper reports that all the people, two dogs and a lizard were okay but that four birds and a 7-month-old puppy died in the fire. It goes on to say that the puppy was found curled up under a bed. Admittedly, I am heartbroken over the entire situation as she is my best friend (and I am very far away), but I was horrified to see people commenting on how the article shouldn't have said anything about the animals. People were saying things like, "the world won't be a good place until people start putting more emphasis on human life and less on animals." Some of the comments were just heartless. I mean, they just lost their home and most of their belongings. They have four children - with four children worth of memories in that house. And one of the children is just in preschool. As if that weren't traumatic enough, they also lost five animals who they loved with all their hearts. People who don't understand the human-animal connection are losing out on a special bond and probably aren't very happy people. I just wish they'd keep their hateful comments to themselves!
  • Michele AshleyMichele Ashley Chattanooga/HixsonMember Posts: 3,161
    edited 17 February, 2011
    Our daddy is a fireman. He said he always saves the animals. He said firefighters that dont are not doing their job. He said a firefighters job is to save lives, dosent matter if its human or animal. He said that sometimes its just hard to save animals because they hide and with the smoke they just cant find them to save.
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 17 February, 2011
    How sad......and just IGNORE the comments about their being "just animals". We know that EVERYBODY on CATSTER and DOGSTER thinks of their "animals" as member of their families. Our meowmy knows ALL ABOUT losing everything, as well as her pets. She lost her home of 44 years all possessions and four beloved cats in Hurricane Katrina. We live in the New Orleans area, and if there is a house fire, it is always reported how many humans and pets were saved. Sadly, last week a mama dog and seven puppies died in a house fire. The owners were at work, and some electrical malfunction caused the fire. By the time someone saw the smoke and reported the fire, it was too late. So now that mama dog and her babies are at the Rainbow Bridge. Meowmy felt so bad for the owners, but the firefighters did not know there were animals inside, so did not know to look. Benny Grunch, Emma Barrett, Louis Armstrong & Pete Fountain Sad purrs for the kitties lost - they are safe at the Rainbow Bridge now. Hope the ones who ran away are found|:|
  • Jenna LuskJenna Lusk Pacific NWMember Posts: 2,034
    edited 17 February, 2011
    Just a reminder to put stickers on your front door or window stating how many pets are inside.
  • Jan AllenJan Allen DallasMember Posts: 2,596
    edited 17 February, 2011
    Wow Armand - Mommy likes you !
  • Tanya MundyTanya Mundy boulderMember Posts: 763
    edited 17 February, 2011
    Delte, What you describe is different. humans by policy will come first, but in the case where it's a bad fire, they not only *will not* they usually CANNOT by policy put thier life on the line for an animal. Sometimes, policy mandates they can't put thier life on the line for other people, but most firemen don't really care at that point. :-)
  • Maggie BussaMaggie Bussa Member Posts: 191
    edited 17 February, 2011
    Thanks Sky. Its sad...I've been let down by humans in my life over and over and over again. By my pets...never. And those very idiots bemoaning the actions of the firefighters (and why are pets being saved?) are a dime a dozen unfortunately and not even worth THAT cost. I didn't always feel this way, but experience is the best teacher. Its just sad and infuriating at the same time.
  • Colleen ElliotColleen Elliot Member Posts: 847
    edited 17 February, 2011
    Totally Armand! Humans let me down all the time, my animal companions, never! Those idiots have apperently never been loved by an animal, and never deserve to be!!!!! Dispicible!
  • MICHELLE HOOKSMICHELLE HOOKS TANGERINEMember Posts: 274
    edited 17 February, 2011
    Ebay has "cat emergency rescue stickers" for sale. That search will bring you up to a listing with many choices. A company, Sundogsdecals, has specific cat breeds for sale. Click on any of the listed sticker, even if it isn't your breed, and scroll down. There are instructions how to order your exact breed of cat sticker. Other companies have generic "rescue my cat" stickers for sale on Ebay. Of course, we kitties can't hide or we won't be saved, but at least if the fire isn't too terrible, the firemen will know to LOOK. I saw something one time about a firefighter who gathered family pictures off walls and tables if she was able to do so safely.
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 February, 2011
    If you need a "Rescue my Pet(s)" sticker, you can order them for free from the ASPCA at: http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pets_rescuesticker. Their "Safety Pack" also includes a free magnet with the number for their Animal Poison Control Center. There is a charge if you need to call that number, but it might be worth it in a crisis. Either way, the Rescue sticker is free. ;c;
  • Amy BAmy B KershawMember Posts: 3,254
    edited 17 February, 2011
    OMC! We're so glad they're all ok! The article said two gray ones were unaccounted for... did they find those last two?? As for the guy who feels the article wasn't worth the front page... he should have written his email too... and we could show him what's worth something... hehehe...