Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Iams or Purina

Meghan MatthewsMeghan Matthews Member Posts: 3
edited 23 February, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
I have always eaten Iams --as a kitten I would not eat Purina Kitten Chow and my vet suggested Iams and I loved it. Anyway, my mommy was at the grocery store the other day and they were giving out free 4 lb bags of the new Purina Naturals for cats. She brought it to my nana to feed her newly acquired adult cat (who also happens to be orange--his name is Elvis and i don\'t really like him--i have to remind him constantly that i am in charge) and he appeared to like it. Is there is one that is better than the other? My mommy wants to know if she should switch my food or let me continue eating Iams.

Comments

• Stephanie ChangtuStephanie Changtu MiamiMember Posts: 1,175
    edited 20 February, 2008
    First of all,Is there a reason your eating grocery store food? None of those cat foods are good. I wouldn\'t feed any of those food,but Iams is best even though it\'s horrible,too. Ingredients For Iams Original Chicken This food has Chicken By-Products Meal which is something cats don\'t need. Meat/Animal By-Products are wastes,not including meat. It also has corn meal and corn grits that cats need. It doesn\'t need dried beef pulp,natural chicken flavor,brewers dried yeast or dried egg products,either. Cats were meant to be fed meat NOT Corn,By- Products,Grains,or anything not having to do anything other than meat. In the wild it is hard for cats to find a bowl of cat food,corn,grains,or any flavors like natural chicken flavor,which Iams has that in all of their foods. It has 33.00 % meat! Well,guess what? That\'s way too little! In the wild cats would eat 100.00% meat so you have to find the closest number to 100.00 % meat, of couse you problaly won\'t find any cat food that has more than 90.00 % meat. Ingredients For Purina Naturals Ingredients: Chicken meal, corn gluten meal, soybean meal, brewers rice, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), corn meal, chicken, salmon, powdered cellulose, ground whole wheat, soybean hulls, malt extract, brewers dried yeast, phosphoric acid, natural flavor, tetra sodium pyrophosphate, calcium carbonate, salt, chlorine chloride, dried spinach, parsley flakes, potassium chloride, taurine, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, niacin, manganese sulfate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite. It also has horrible ingredients like corn gluten meak,soybean meal,brewers rice,corn meal,powdered cellulose,ground whole wheat,sotbean hulls,malt extrack,brewers dried yeast,natural flavors,dried spinach and parsley flakes that cats don\'t need. I feed one of my cats,Oreo raw and the rest Wellness wet food. Foods that are good are Orijen, Nature\'s Varitey, Innova, EVO, Wellness, Merrick. Anyways, There\'s no better cat food than raw food since thats what they eat inthe wild and thats what their used to eating.
  • Vanessa BobackVanessa Boback TampaMember Posts: 3,149
    edited 21 February, 2008
    I agree with Oreo. A higher quality food would be much better and more cost effective than a grain and filler heavy food. We eat Nature\'s Variety \"Instinct\" dry food and Innova EVO, Wellness & Evangers canned food. My cats used to eat a lot of food when they were on a lower quality diet but now that we have switched they eat less because they get more nutrition. Also, their litter boxes have cut back on smells dramatically. So, to answer your question, I would say neither. =; You can message me if you have any questions.
  • Stephanie LampmanStephanie Lampman Member Posts: 37
    edited 21 February, 2008
    I feed Purina One. My cats like it. The first ingrediant in that is turkey or chicken. Just food for thought so to speak! |^|
  • Sharon BraatenSharon Braaten Great BarringtonMember Posts: 842
    edited 21 February, 2008
    I have to say I agree with Rasha and Oreo. Please don't take this personally, but those brands you mentioned are really not great. Cats are carnivores and don't need grains and fillers. We eat Wellness, Merricks, EVO and Evangers cans, Innova EVO kibble. Mom feeds us mostly canned food (about 90%) because it has more moisture, which is important for cats to get in their diet since they are not big drinkers. My brother Leaf is a dry food junkie, so she gives us a little dry food at night so Leaf doesn't bounce off the walls craving dry food. Our health has been great since eating mostly canned food. We get a little raw food as a treat too. The premium food does cost more, but it is totally worth it for the health of your kitties! Leaf has struggled with crystals in his urine, but is doing much better on the premium cans. I used to be pre diabetic, but I am also doing much better. Good luck in figuring out what to feed your cats. There is a lot of info out there and it can be quite overwhelming. Purrs to you!
  • Mary ComminsMary Commins AntiochMember Posts: 55,502
    edited 21 February, 2008
    We agree! Iams is probably the better of the 2 but neither one is ver good for us. We eat Wellness and several other premium canned and Solid Gold dry right now. Years ago Iams and Science Diet were the best, but now there are so many other better foods. Best thing to remember is if you can buy it n the grocery store, its not that great. Also we have noticed that companies that do a lot of advertising seem to spend mre on their ads than on their ngredients. Just our 2 cents!
  • Xinru LuoXinru Luo Member Posts: 18
    edited 22 February, 2008
    For food recommendations, the following article is good to read: http://tippedearclan.wordpress.com/2006/12/26/comparison-of-kibbles-ingredients-list/ It is written by someone who has a lot of experience with multiple cats and who takes in stray cats and finds adopters for them. For an explanation on what 'meat by-product' means, please read this article: http://tippedearclan.wordpress.com/2006/12/25/meats-meals-byproducts/ I used to feed Science Diet and IAMs before finding out more about cat food. Now I am in the process of switching over to Avoderm.
  • edited 22 February, 2008
    Neither. They are both very bad for you.
  • naomi codynaomi cody Charm CityMember Posts: 537
    edited 22 February, 2008
    PURINA!!! they may be grocery store, but they have a reputation to uphold, so they are consitent. it is also the only one made in america. mommy mixes purina one w/ the naturals. i do agree nutritionally they are not superior, cats should eat raw meat, but your pocketbook has it's own spin. naturals is only slightly better than catchow. it does have more meat and no dyes. however meat is lower on the list than grain so it's not a whole lot. try supplementing with wet food. it's the closest to a natural diet.
  • Leanna GeorgeLeanna George Member Posts: 1,036
    edited 23 February, 2008
    When a holistic vet first told mommy about this weird natural food called "Innova" that mommy had never heard of, mommy was intimidated (she had just bashed the Science Diet that mommy had been feeding the cats - they are now grandmas ). The vet then said about the best grocery store food was Purina One. Mommy started feeding that, and it helped some with Penta's constant throwing up. Finally a lady in PetsMart told mommy about how wonderful Blue was for dogs, (my canine sister was eating Ol Roy basically) and what by-products were and about life source bits and stuff. Mommy got a bag for my canine sister but Penta was still on Purina One. When she got low on that bag and saw how well the dog was doing on Blue, she got some for the cat. Now Penta only throws up once every 3 months or so (usally every 6 but sometimes either way it's a lot less - he had been throwing up 2 to 3 times a day). Anyway, that's my story about really good food and what the vet said was best back then for grocery store foods. I'd choose Purina One over Iams based on that. But if you can get better, try it...