Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Seeking opinions on diet

Xinru LuoXinru Luo Member Posts: 18
edited 28 February, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
I used to feed Science Diet and IAMs before I found out more about cat food. Now I am in the process of switching over to Avoderm. Any comments?

Comments

• Brittany ReedBrittany Reed Des Moines, IAMember Posts: 133
    edited 25 February, 2008
    i dont know anything about the new food you are switching to, only because i've never heard of it! We've been on science diet (long ago), Neutro natural choice (a year and a half ago), and then mommy got educated on our food. she always thought that those were good foods, you know, the best you could get. but learned more and more. So we were switched to Innova (in the hot pink bag), and a few times we've been on hills prescription... either c/d or s/d. cant remember (for urine crystals), but mommy didnt like that either, again, because of the ingredients, and felt the vet was pushing it on us. so mommy went to the pet place where she trusted their opinions etc (where they are very careful of what they sell etc, who suggested Innova in the first place), we told them our concerns about staying at a good weight, and my urine crystals, and puddy having had a UTI twice before, and they suggested Katz N Flocken by solid gold. so we have been on that for a while, and we get wellness canned food at night time. mommy has us on a strict diet... so we get measured amounts 3 times a day. we wish you luck, and congrats on switching foods! and we bet you notice a difference in your coat!! we love katz n flocken and wellness :c9 no problems so far!!
  • Brittany ReedBrittany Reed Des Moines, IAMember Posts: 133
    edited 25 February, 2008
    oh, also, mommy noticed that we seem fuller longer since being off hills, science diet, and neutro. if that makes sense? we know when it's time to eat, and it's time then... and we seem content and dont beg unless it's almost time.
  • Xinru LuoXinru Luo Member Posts: 18
    edited 25 February, 2008
    Dear Athena, I'm still in the middle of shifting to Avoderm (I'm eating a mix of IAMs and Avoderm in order to get used to the new food), so I can't really compare very well at this point in time, but it does seem like I'm producing less stools per day. The reason why I want to stop eating IAMs Kitten is because there're a lot of 'meat by-products' listed as ingredients. I know there's still corn involved in Avoderm, but I don't think I can afford the better stuff... List of Avoderm ingredients: Chicken Meal, Ground Whole Corn, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Ascorbic Acid), Herring Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Ground Whole Brown Rice, Ground Whole Wheat, Natural Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Tomato Pomace, Dried Milk Protein, Dried Brewers Yeast, Dried Chicken Liver, Dried Chicory Root, Avocado Oil, Avocado Meal, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Lecithin, Taurine Supplement, Dried Yucca Schidigera, DL-Methionine, Dried Kelp, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Source of Vitamin B2), Niacin, Choline Chloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B1), Biotin, Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C), Zinc Polysaccharide Complex, Manganese Polysaccharide Complex, Iron Polysaccharide Complex, Copper Polysaccharide Complex, Cobalt Polysaccharide Complex, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite. Crude Protein (min) 36.00% Crude Fat (min) 22.00% Crude Fiber (max) 3.00% Moisture (max) 10.00% Ash (max) 6.00% Magnesium (max) 0.095% Taurine (min) 0.15% Zinc (min) 150 mg/kg Omega 6 Fatty Acids* (min) 3.90% Omega 3 Fatty Acids* (min) 0.20%
  • edited 25 February, 2008
    Although Avoderm is not the meatiest food, it's definitely one of the better foods available! Congrats on the switch! You will probably start noticing positive health changes within the next week or two. The ingredients in Avoderm are much more wholesome and organic than in Iams. Although we haven't fed Avoderm at our house, (we feed raw)- our friend's cat eats Avoderm and does GREAT!=;
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 25 February, 2008
    Avoderm cat food I don't eat Avoderm so I can't comment on it. My Human tried one of the canned fodos but I refused to go anywhere near it. It was chicken in a gloppy very strange smelly pink gravy :-O
  • Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoMember Posts: 11,036
    edited 25 February, 2008
    My opinion is that the Avoderm (assuming the ingredients someone posted here are correct) is not that great, not a great deal better than Iams. It seems to be very high in grains, and it may contain a lot more corn than meat-- if you look at the ingredients list, you'll see it lists corn products in two places in the first 5 ingredients. Pet food ingredients are listed by weight, and when you see two ingredients in the top 5 that are essentially the same thing, if you were able to add them together they may likely end up being the first ingredient in the food. I would recommend if you want to feed your cat a better food but you're not sure if you can afford it, to shop around. I have seen some high quality pet foods offered for very good prices. You should check online and also see if you have any stores like Pet Supplies Plus in your area. Make sure to take the size of the bag into account when you compare prices, because some brands don't offer the same sizes... Some good foods I'd recommend looking into: Wellness Felidae (I think this costs less than Avoderm) By Nature Brightlife By Nature Organics--I think this one is similarly priced to Avoderm, and it is available at Petsmart. Innova Solid Gold As an example of a comparison of prices, I found Avoderm online for $14.99 for a 7-pound bag, or about $2.14 per pound. I found Innova Adult Cat at the same website for $14.79 for 6.6 pounds, or about $2.24 a pound. That is just 10 cents per pound more for Innova, whose ingredients IMO are much higher in quality. The same website had By Nature Brightlife for $11.99 for a 6 pound bag, or about $2.00 per pound.
  • Vanessa BobackVanessa Boback TampaMember Posts: 3,149
    edited 26 February, 2008
    I'm not a fan of Avoderm for many reasons. There is still corn gluten meal and a few other things I disagree with. BUT it's better than most foods out there. I don't know how much it costs, but you could probably get a better food for just around the same price. Felidae is pretty decently priced. We are on a budget here, but my kitties get Nature's Variety Instinct dry food and Innova EVO and Evangers wet food. I don't know how I do it, but somehow I make it through!!
  • Heide LevineHeide Levine Member Posts: 313
    edited 28 February, 2008
    Tommy I can say that Avoderm is considered entry level holistic food... not great, not "bad"... I would move to Pinnacle if they have it, which is the same company as Avoderm, but it's their fully holistic brand. Pinnacle Feline Peak Protein Ingredients Chicken Meal, Chicken, Potato Protein, Potato Flour, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Ascorbic Acid), Ocean Fish, Natural Flavor, Tomato Pomace, Dried Egg Product, Dried Cranberries, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Dried Yucca Schidigera, Bromelain, Papain, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Product, Ferrous Sulfate, DL-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate (Source of Vitamin E), Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Proteinate, Riboflavin Supplement (Source of Vitamin B Complex), Zinc Methionine, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Niacin, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B1), Folic Acid, Potassium Iodate, Vitamin D3 Supplement. Nutrient Analysis click here Available in 1.5, 4.5 & 15 lb. bags.
  • Candice HuguenardCandice Huguenard NWMember Posts: 40
    edited 28 February, 2008
    Mommy took advice from Rasha\'s mommy and started us on Innova Evo dry and wet. We love it just fine! Our vet suggested adding some water to the wet food because of it\'s high protein content. :c9 Its purrrdy yummy, and very good for me and Ninja
  • Jenna LuskJenna Lusk Pacific NWMember Posts: 2,034
    edited 28 February, 2008
    We haven't done this yet, but our Vet recommended switching us to Innova EVO. Mommy tried giving us the canned food, but we wouldn't touch it (maybe adding water will help...). We will only eat Wellness turkey/duck pouches. So, the vet told us that for our dry kibble, we should eat the EVO. Mommy wouldn't have switched us from our old food, but our kidney values, while still in the normal range, were a bit high for our ages. The vet said that the most important thing is to make the canned (or moist) food the primary diet and leave the dry kibble for a treat. That would be okay for me, but Matilda is a nibbler, and when she leaves her plate of moist food, I go clean it up for her (nice of me, right?). So, we have to have the dry kibble out all the time for Tilly. I don't know anything about Avoderm. Have heard good things, but since I have no personal experience, I couldn't tell you anything about it. My biggest opinion on food is that you should feed the very best you can in the price range you can afford. Figure out what your budget is, find the foods that are in that range, and then compare ingredients.