Clipping or Trimming Claws

Zinnia SantosZinnia Santos Miami/Ft. LauderdaleMember Posts: 232
edited 27 May, 2006 in Grooming
Mom needs a little help with clipping and trimming my claws. I think she just needs to learn how to hold me to do it. I am a little fussy and when they get close to my paws I think they are playing with me so I keep squirming around. Please give your suggestions it will be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Ooh! I don't like getting my claws trimmed much, either. Sometimes my human just lightly holds my paws, but she doesn't try to cut the claws. I think she just wants to get me used to having my paws touched, and she says lots of nice things to me while she's holding them. Your human might want to try that, and build up to actually clipping the tips of the claws -- just the tips! And really, humans should be happy if we let them cut even only one claw at a sitting.
  • Lori McGuireLori McGuire GlenviewMember Posts: 1
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Aww, man! This just inspired my mom to try clipping my claws. Let me tell you, the two things I hate more than anything are being held or enclosed and having my feet touched. Mom got one claw, and she gave me some treats and pets and played with me, and she got away totally not bleeding! She mumbled something about trying to do this every day so I "get used to it." We'll see. I suppose it's better than going to the vet just for a manicure.
  • Zinnia SantosZinnia Santos Miami/Ft. LauderdaleMember Posts: 232
    edited 27 February, 2006
    So this is what mom tried to do. She stood me up my back torwards her so she grabbed a paw and was able to trim a few. If there are other ways that she should hold or handle me I am all ears. It was not easy I tell you. But I think she just nipped the tips not even going close to the quick. I think it was a pratice run.
  • Leanne JenkinsLeanne Jenkins Port AngelesMember Posts: 73
    edited 27 February, 2006
    One of my humans is a groomer, and she has occasionally taken clippers to us all (like when the new sofa showed up). She wraps her left arm around me and holds each paw firmly in turn, and steadily but quickly nips away. I used to fight and squirm but she just held me closer, told me to pay attention and kept going...like she was the Boss of Me. She's been doing it since I was very young, so I've learned to tolerate it.
  • Kristen MangoKristen Mango Chapel HillMember Posts: 40
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Frankie, that's what our mom does, hold me close. She sits on the couch with me held firmly against her (sometimes with pillows propped up and pressed around me). I eventually resign myself to it and it's not so bad, especially since she gives me a lot of soothings and then a treat when we're done. However, my sister Mo will never give up the squirming fight and resign herself to clippings! So dad has to hold her while mom clips. Whew! And yet they still give her a treat too. Oh, well.
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Our mommy holds us in her lap with our backs to her, in an upright sort of human-style sitting position with our legs sticking out when she trims our claws. When we were younger, she used to swaddle us in a blanket with only the paw she was working on uncovered, but as we got older we got used to it and stopped fussing too much (especially since we know that we'll get a treat as soon as she's done--usually catnip! : )), so she doesn't need to wrap us anymore. Good luck with your trimming! It's not as bad as you probably think, so just relax and it'll be over before you know it.
  • MARY HEFFERNANMARY HEFFERNAN Valley of The MoonMember Posts: 13,688
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Yo, Frankie and Scotty! We think your cat mothers "got it." Our cat mother has us on her lap with her left arm around us and lifts a paw, then goes at it with her right hand. (Well, different if you are left-handed...) All claws, one paw, then the next. What she/we discovered is that it is good to pick a time when we are all relaxed -- like don't just grab us if we are prowling, playing or tail-twitching! Maybe one of us will be sitting on her lap, then she carries us over to where the lil nippers are kept (nearby), sits back down and tells us we are going to "do paws now." She never holds us tight -- just firmly. WE don't like to be held tightly, and don't think most cats do! She makes sure she is very relaxed so she is not sending panic signals, so WE relax. If we squirm, she says, "Don't be silly, you know this is good for cats." (Of course we don't know any such thing, but we stay calm as long as she stays calm!) p.s. She always did Selket first because she is older, and I watched closely and when it was my turn, I knew it was okay. Good luck! heh heh.
  • Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Jacques, I think you figured out the humans. Mine trimmed me up once when I was just about asleep, and to be honest, I was way too tired to resist. I think she got six or seven done that time.
  • Cyndi HorstmanshofCyndi Horstmanshof Spring HillMember Posts: 14,041 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Well mom sits on the couch and puts me on her lap face up and my hind feet are at her knees. She sometimes 'holds' my shoulders with her elbows. We are all Persians, or Himmys, so we are pretty docile! My siblings and I didn't like it at 1st, but now we don't mind because she has never hurt us.
  • Cyndi HorstmanshofCyndi Horstmanshof Spring HillMember Posts: 14,041 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hahaha Frankie, You just let her think she's the Boss of You!!!! We felines have to stick together and let the humans think they are in control. hehe
  • Cheryl SimsCheryl Sims DallasMember Posts: 869
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Good luck, I hate nail clips. Mom sometimes can only do one paw at a time. I wiggle and yank my foot and bite. Jusy tell mom hold on and hurry up.
  • Connie Cardwell-WhitisConnie Cardwell-Whitis RichardsonMember Posts: 173
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Well, I simply LOVE having my nails done. It's like going to the cat beauty salon. It is a good idea to be relaxed, just like after waking up from a nap. Cat-mom uses silly words with me, and I go running in where she is sitting on the floor. She picks me up and cradles me on my back like a baby in her left arm and trims my left front claws and the claws on my back paws with her right hand. She has a little more trouble holding me that way and doing my right front claws, so she tucks her knees up a little and lays me down on her knees on my side and clips away. She talks to me the whole time or sings softly and then I always get a special treat. I think some cats just don't mind it at all, but those who do....well, I don't know if they will ever really like it or get used to it. She does the same with my brother Mick and he's a bit more squirmy but he tolerates it. He mumbles something about how guys shouldn't have to get manicures!
  • Tabitha Smith-ElliottTabitha Smith-Elliott Gainesville/Hall County, GAMember Posts: 11,582
    edited 27 February, 2006
    ATTENTION! We interrupt this thread for an important announcement! Brought to you by Felix. Through me. Meow there, fellow Catsters... We -- my buddy Jacques and myself -- are trying to help out our friend Sweetie. Sweetie is a delightfully charming cat who loves to play matchmaker...only she hasn't yet found a match for herself. So, to help Sweetie find the cat of her dreams, Jacques and I are hosting the first ever "Cat-lorette." If you're up for the challenge of winning Sweetie's heart, be one of the first 25 cats to sign up in the "Sweetie" thread under Catster crushes. All "rules" will be explained there. There, you'll also have the chance to meet Sweetie, and get a sense of what she's looking for in a crush. Good luck to all, and look forward to meeting you in Sweetie's thread! Meow, Felix
  • Hokulani KaluaHokulani Kalua Member Posts: 111
    edited 27 February, 2006
    mom just plops me between her legs and clips my nails.... I should know I just had another nail clipping mom said so I won\'t hurt the new puppy Kamalu or the new kitten Benji. but she uses a human nail cutter on my nails all she does is clip the very sharp nail section. mom says the human nail clipper is easier to handle and much faster to use since human nails are harder and thicker. but go figure... once she is done with me I get a treat.
  • Nichole DwyerNichole Dwyer Member Posts: 2,118
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hey Linux My mom works at a Vets office and she said you could try wrapping you in a towel.Or there is another way she can try to lightly scruff you, she can do that by gently grabing the extra skin on the back of your neck and don't worry it does not hurt thats what are mommy cats do and she can even hold your back legs so you can not move all around,but she would need som e one to trim the nails.Or you can have the vet do it if you are already there some vets do it for free if you are there for something else as well.Good luck Love Mitlon
  • Tara ScarlettTara Scarlett RaynhamMember Posts: 196
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I would rather have my nails cliped than be brushed. I HATE being brushed! My Mommy spent a few weeks touching and squeezing my paws until my claws poked out before she actully tried to clip them. Each time she could squeeze all four of my paws without me going nuts, I got a treat. So when she clipped me, I sat still and got my treat. :)
  • Toffy_VanessaToffy_Vanessa Member Posts: 4,074 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Clipping my claws is a near-impossible feat. I will not allow it!
  • Regine MelinRegine Melin BrooklynMember Posts: 281
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I'm with you Toffy. I make my mommy take me to the doctor to have my nails clipped. When I was little I remember my mommy was always touching my feet to get me used to it but I never did. She still does it to this day. They even tried to wrap me in a towel but I was having none of it so now she has no choice but to drag me to the doctor!
  • April BennettApril Bennett Terre HauteMember Posts: 97
    edited 27 February, 2006
    After reading this, my Mom decided to trim my nails. She thought from all the posts that I would fight and not cooperate, but I was really good and she was able to get all of my nails (front and back) done in one sitting. It only took a few minutes and I didn't care. I did try to play with her nail scissors though.
  • Jenn O'BrianJenn O'Brian SaskatoonMember Posts: 2
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Paw Paw always cuts mine and my sis-furs nails. Hobbes has always been really good. I used to put up a fight, Paw Paw had to wrap me in a blanket so I wouldn't get him with my back claws. Now I am a good girl, and know that if I sit patiently, I get treats afterwards. This does not mean that I can't yell at him though. I always put my ears back so that he knows I don't like it. Paw Paw never cuts our hind claws though. We get those done at the vet.
  • FLIP RainnieFLIP Rainnie Member Posts: 80
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My mummy always clips the points off my claws when I am half asleep ! tricky ! and she does it so fast that by the time I start to wake up enough to start complaining about it, its all over !!! sneaky mummy.....
  • Jon PaynterJon Paynter San JoseMember Posts: 24
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I used to hate getting claws clipped until I realized dad plays with me MUCH more when they are clipped. hmmm.... He also sometimes gets my paws wet (eww!) before clipping. I dont like that, but it also makes things go faster. I have big FURRY paws!
  • Deb O'NeillDeb O'Neill PerkasieMember Posts: 8,659
    edited 20 April, 2006
    Even the vet has trouble clipping my nails. She has to charge extra for doing it. Mom's there when it's done and she agrees it's not easy. :( But Mom and Dad really can't afford to do that any more so here is what they've come up with. Every night for four nights we each get on Dad's lap and Mom clips ONE paw. At the end of four nights we're all done. The idea is to make us get so used to it so they can eventually do all four paws in one sitting. Sophie, who is more of a spitfire than I am, was the first to decide it was no big deal. After she was finished, Mom and Dad looked at each other and said, "That was SOPHIE?!" Hehehe!
  • Jacquie HookeyJacquie Hookey BuckinghamshireMember Posts: 96
    edited 20 April, 2006
    When Mummy rescued me I\'d never had my claws clipped and never lived in a house, so I wasn\'t very happy the first time she suggested that a kitty manicure was needed... It took a lot of convincing to get me to try this new expereince, but Mummy wasn\'t giving up. She said something about not liking hundreds of little claw-marks on her legs... So for weeks on end Mummy fussed my paws softly when I was snoozing, until I learnt to relax when she touched my toes. Now that I\'m not frightened about having Mummy touch my pretty little paws she can give me a kitty manicure without much trouble! My housemate Tigmut\'hep doesn\'t seem to worry about Mummy doing his claws either. The best bit is after a manicure we get yummy crunchy cat treats to share! :)
  • Yipee LadybugYipee Ladybug Member Posts: 3,805
    edited 27 May, 2006
    most times, mommy and daddy finds it to be a two person job to trim one cat's nails....b/c none of us likes to get our nails trimmed! but they console us with cat treats after we have ALL our nails trimmed. i'm the worst, i'm always fighting with mommy and daddy, and they hardly ever get to trim my nails when i'm awake. so my mommy had to be sneaky, and she waits for me to be sleepy and then trim my nails. i still complain like crazy, but i'm too tired to fight - then she can have her way with me....