Fried eggs???

Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
edited 3 June, 2006 in Food & Nutrition
When I went to Grandma's for Mother's Day, she said that my coat was dry and full of dandruff. Besides that, I have an ear infection. Anyway, when Mommy was sleeping, Grandma gave me some fried egg. I ate most of it. I know some eggs are okay for cats, but I didn't know about fried eggs. All I know is that it smelled okay. Someone said that an egg once in a while is good for the coat, as is fish oil (omega). But I wasn't sure about fried eggs. What do you guys think?

Comments

• laurette lamontagnelaurette lamontagne san diegoMember Posts: 5
    edited 15 May, 2006
    Yummy, I like mine lightly scrambled. This is a once a week treat. Mom thinks variety is key to good health.
  • Denise GraysonDenise Grayson BothellMember Posts: 2,468
    edited 15 May, 2006
    I like my eggs scambled too with a orange slice on the side....:) Sometimes when mom makes hashbrowns and puts egg and green peppers in it I will ask for a couple nibbles.
  • Karen BrockKaren Brock TorontoMember Posts: 5,152
    edited 15 May, 2006
    Wow, scrambled eggs, I've gotta persuade mom to let me have some of those. Sounds yummy. I could go for some fried eggs too. My fur is usually so shiny and sleek, but mom noticed some dandruff lately too. Plus lots of shedding, maybe 'cause the warmer weather is finally here.
  • Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    edited 15 May, 2006
    That's what Mommy told Grandma: it's just that time of year. But Grandma didn't buy that. The vet will know for sure, I'm going to get poked, prodded and pinched on Wednesday!
  • Tabitha Smith-ElliottTabitha Smith-Elliott Gainesville/Hall County, GAMember Posts: 11,582
    edited 16 May, 2006
    Hiya Squeaks! I dont know about fried - but I've always heard that a raw egg is excellent for our fur/skin.
    edited 16 May, 2006
    Po- I am shedding a ton too. I think we are just getting into our summer gear...:) As far as the dandruff, I think that with being a tux it is just more noticable on our sleek black suites. My coat is sleek and really shines too but I have a little noticable dandruff some times. Especially when I am shedding alot. Last time I was at the vet he didn\'t mention it being a problem. He actually said I had a very healthy looking coat.
  • Leah MacDonaldLeah MacDonald South ShoreMember Posts: 3,316
    edited 16 May, 2006
    Don't feel bad kitties....we are shedding awful too!!! Meowmie is picking cat hair from her mouth, skin, clothing and all over the house all day. Right, it must be that time of the year. We wouldn't know...this is our first shedding season if you will. When does it get better?! Meowmie wants to come near me with this thing called a brush and frankly, I'm just not having it! Christian needs it but, me? No thanks! MOL! *Happy Shedding Fellow Felines*
  • Leah MacDonaldLeah MacDonald South ShoreMember Posts: 3,316
    edited 16 May, 2006
    Yum Squeakers! Fried eggs??? *Drooling on Meowmie* I'm so jealous...
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 16 May, 2006
    Perhaps a dietary supplement will help with skin and fur problems. Something like The Missing Link (http://www.designinghealth.com/products/feline_products_main.html) or Nutrimalt contains vitamins and minerals and essential fatty acids for healthy fur.
  • Melissa LambertMelissa Lambert ArlingtonMember Posts: 12
    edited 16 May, 2006
    I've heard good things about eggs...I'll have to sneak some when Mommy cooks breakfast sometime! Sounds yummy!
    edited 16 May, 2006
    Usually I just give mommy my cutiest kitty face and she will fork over some of her scrambled eggs.
  • Tabitha Smith-ElliottTabitha Smith-Elliott Gainesville/Hall County, GAMember Posts: 11,582
    edited 17 May, 2006
    Raw eggs are good for fur and skin!
    edited 17 May, 2006
    as far as I know they can be cooked too. Like scrambled eggs. I will not eat eggs unless they are cooked. Besides can\'t you get salmonella from raw eggs?
  • RH MerwinRH Merwin KnoxvilleMember Posts: 207
    edited 18 May, 2006
    Fried eggs sound scrumptious--I recommend adding a half pound of butter on the plate as a side dish--mmmmmmm!!! I wouldn't worry too much about salmonella--raw eggs get a bad rap, and your chances of sal. poisoning is remote at best. Enjoy!
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 18 May, 2006
    Oh, egg is yummy! Our mommy doesn't eat eggs very often, but on the rare occasion she does, she will usually give me a little taste. She doesn't give me enough for it to make a difference in my overall diet, it's really just a little treat. I don't see any reason a little fried egg would hurt you, as long as it's not fried in a lot of grease (which adds empty calories) but egg itself is mostly just protein, with some fats and vitamins in the yolk. I've been taking Nutrimalt lately for my dandruffy skin and it seems to be helping. :-)
    edited 18 May, 2006
    Nutrimalt! That's it. Mommy might head to Petsmart and get it. Can you get it at Petsmart? The vet didn't seem concerned about my skin, cuz I think the bath and egg helped it, and we got some wet food to mix with my dry, since my gums are very red, and I am going in for a cleaning on Tuesday, which is also Mommy's birthday. Thanks for the advice fellow kitties! I, that is Mommy, was concerned
    edited 20 May, 2006
    Mom is very careful about not giving me anything that isn\'t cooked or making sure fruit (that I love) is washed before hand. I don\'t eat alot of scraps but I do love eggs and oranges and sometimes berries. Mom had gotten sal. posioning and some other type of food posioning and said it wasn\'t fun. We had also had a rash of E coli in our state several years ago and people were even getting it from some fruits and vegetables because they were not washed a head of time. So mom doesn\'t take any chances....:)
  • C SmarttC Smartt austinMember Posts: 9
    edited 1 June, 2006
    My skin is very dry and sensitive so Mom called Dr. Burnside and she put me on Science Diet's sensitive skin, she also suggested a fish oil that you can pump onto cat food. I've been on the new food for about a week and Mom says she can see a difference. Also, Mom lets me eat eggs over easy, over medium, scrambled, and omelettes. My sister on the other can't eat people food, she has a super sensitive tummy. Hope that helps. =^_^=
    edited 1 June, 2006
    *sigh* Eggs make me sick to my stomach.
  • Deb O'NeillDeb O'Neill PerkasieMember Posts: 8,659
    edited 1 June, 2006
    Poor Lexie! *waves* I've never had eggs, as I don't care for people food. But my brother tends towards dry skin. The Nutrimalt sounds like a good idea. Can you get it at PetSmart or do you have to go to the vet??
    edited 1 June, 2006
    I know! I know! Its such a tragedy that I cant have eggs. *sighs again* Ohhhhh how I like them. *waves back to Sophie*
    edited 1 June, 2006
    Grandma made a trip to Petsmart and got me the Nutrimalt and also Science Diet for my teeth, it says it works like a toothbrush. She also got me wipes to help Mommy with brushing my teeth. I think I like the Nutrimalt. Mommy may have put a little too mcuh in my food, (the directions say to squeeze an inch into food) but I ate it all up anyway. Thanks for the Nutrimalt idea Bea, big help!
    edited 2 June, 2006
    Sooooo Squeaks. You have to brush your teeth after you eat your eggs? Ick!
  • Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
    edited 3 June, 2006
    I get some raw egg in my meals from time to time, without problems. Honestly, the food doesn't stay in our digestive tract long enough to cause any problems with salmonella, etc. Lightly scrambled is good, too -- I've never had it fried! Dandruff is a way for the body to kick out additional waste (remember- the skin is an organ, too). Putting an eighth of a teaspoon of wheat bran into each serving of your wet food will help. That's really inexpensive and available at health food stores. The other thing is flax seed oil, same quantity. That's more expensive, but it's also good for humans. You may also see some Omega 3 fortified eggs in the store -- I think they feed the chickens dried out fish oil and wheat bran. Those eggs are expensive, too, though.
    edited 3 June, 2006
    I only get the dandruff when I am shedding.....shedding is done and the dandruff is gone....:)
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 3 June, 2006
    Omega-3 oils are sold (called Derm caps) for pets. It also comes in liquid form for us cats. You can buy it through your vet. (Taken from Cornell, College of Vet. Med. Website) Cats become infected with Toxocara cati(roundworms) by ingesting eggs or by eating rodents (transport hosts) that have larvae in their tissues. Salmonellosis, another common bacterial disease, can cause diarrhea, fever, and stomach pain beginning one to three days after infection. Salmonellosis usually resolves on its own. However, some people require medical attention because the diarrhea is severe or the infection is affecting other organs. People usually get salmonellosis by eating contaminated food, such as undercooked chicken or eggs. However, cats and other animals—even those that appear healthy—can carry and pass salmonella bacteria in their stool. Salmonella bacteria are more commonly harbored by cats that feed on raw meat or wild birds and animals. Feline infection can be prevented by keeping cats indoors and feeding them cooked or commercially processed food. Human infection can be prevented by wearing gloves and washing hands thoroughly after cleaning litter boxes (especially if used by a cat with diarrhea).
    edited 3 June, 2006
    Oh Sydney, no! Icky poo! No, Grandma gave me eggs that one day to help my flaky coat. I went to the vet for a checkup a couple weeks ago, and they said I needed a dental cleaning. So last week, on Mommy's birthday no doubt, I had a cleaning and four teeth pulled. The big-haired lady with a voice like Mickey Mouse said that Mommy should brush my teeth more often. That's all. That's ALL! That's alot of stuff! No more eggs for me. . . for awhile, anyway! Mommy doesn't like them.