Late bloomer?

Beth HubbleBeth Hubble Member Posts: 111
edited 26 April, 2008 in Maine Coon
I read some where that Maine Coons don't reach full maturity until almost 2 yrs old. Does that make us late bloomers for our first heat, too? My doctor doesn't like to fix kitties until their bottom baby fangs fall out, and that's supposed to happen around 6 months. Well, I'm a little past six months old; and my baby teeth don't look like they're going anywhere anytime soon. So, any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Robin PinkhamRobin Pinkham BangorMember Posts: 1,601
    edited 21 October, 2007
    Maine Coons don\'t reach full maturity until 3-5 years . We do get most of our size by about 12-18 months like most cats, but continue to develop after that. My sisfur Maggie was spayed at about 6 months and I was neutered at 5 months.Vets generally go by weight for \"fixing\"- 2 lbs is minimum - we were way over that-MOL. Maggie lost her baby fangs a little after 6 months... for me,well, no one saw when it happened... We are now 17 months and I am 18 lbs and Maggie is 13.5 lbs. One interesting thing is that catnip sensitivity is linked to a level of maturity- most kitten start to like it about 6 months of age- Maggie started to like catnip at about 1 year and I just started to like it a few weeks ago! Also one thing you\'ll notice you\'ll not have your full Maine Coon Coat until your second or 3rd winter. Mama says we are wonderful , special kitties!
  • Robin BassRobin Bass Forest HillsMember Posts: 105
    edited 24 October, 2007
    I am about 7 months. I look puffy...will i go through a growth spurt?
  • Shira WildShira Wild New Smyrna Beach, FLMember Posts: 312
    edited 27 November, 2007
    I do believe us Maine Coons mature later then other cats. I'm nearly 3 and my personality is still changing and coming around. Either that or I'm backward. I am much friendlier, talkative and happy now then when I was younger.;P
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 23 April, 2008
    It is common knowledge that Maine Coons develop more slowly than many other breeds. For example, they don\'t reach their full size until 3 years or so. Chibi and I lost our fangs at around 6 months. I first went into heat at around 9-10 months, and we\'re waiting to see about Chibi.
  • Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoMember Posts: 11,036
    edited 26 April, 2008
    I was wondering that too because our breeder wants us to get our Maine Coon kitten spayed between 7-9 months old... Being a slowly maturing breed, we were hoping she would not have gone into heat yet by then but then she did go into heat a week or two ago... :-#