found orphan kitten

Marsha McCurter-OrfMarsha McCurter-Orf CampbellMember Posts: 1,958
edited 17 May, 2008 in Kitten Corner
where i work it has back teeth can walk wonder if anyone would have any ideas about what age kitten is

Comments

• Amber SimmonAmber Simmon Member Posts: 2,703
    edited 15 May, 2008
    I think you're pretty close at 5months.
  • Marsha McCurter-OrfMarsha McCurter-Orf CampbellMember Posts: 1,958
    edited 15 May, 2008
    No sorry the cat in the pic isnt her this is the kitten she has back teeth and all but worried about her age
  • Lissa NicholsonLissa Nicholson SydneyMember Posts: 1,562
    edited 15 May, 2008
    What a pair of gorgeous girls! I would guess about 4-5 weeks, based on the pictures.
    edited 15 May, 2008
    ok she had back teeth so i thought that age also. Will she need to be formula kitty formula?
  • edited 15 May, 2008
    I would suggest feeding her kitten milk replacer for a week then start adding a tiny bit of softened dry kitten food in with the formula. You can soften it by either soaking it in the formula or in a bit of warm water. If she/he has back teeth then you can TRY leaving it a bit crunchy in the center and see how he/she does. Then in a few weeks start weaning off the formula. They can go off formula by 8 weeks but I typically leave them on it and gradually wean them off by 12 weeks depending on how they are doing with the dry food. Some kittens wean faster then others and some kittens need the formula for longer then others. I was told by my vet to keep Spitfire on the formula until she was about 5 months old because of how tiny she was when she was found(mom and dad are both really tiny, feral cats). Now she is about 9 months old and about the size of a 4 to 5 month old kitten but totally on dry kitten food.
    edited 15 May, 2008
    thank you so much for the advice! I willl get the kitty milk
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 15 May, 2008
    We can't add anything to all the excellent advice, so just wanted to say BLESS YOU AND YOUR CO-WORKER for taking these little babies home and caring for them. We visited the kittens page and left her a treat.....such a precious face!!!|:||:| Pete Fountain, Emma Barrett, Louis Armstrong & Benny Grunch
    edited 15 May, 2008
    she isnt wanting to suck from the nipple she keeps biting and chewing on it? I am gonna try mixing some with kitten food. Any ideas on how to get her to suck from bottle
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 15 May, 2008
    Try giving her wet kitten food also. Kittens her age might not be ready for dry, but they might be ok with wet, and it would make a nice transition food. As for KMR, I would keep offering it, but don't stress too much about it so long as she is eating other food. My thought is that maybe the nipple on the bottle feels strange and weird, so she isn't sure of what is going on. Here's an article I found about feeding orphan kittens: Hand Raising & Bottle Feeding. Hope it helps. Also helpful? There's a whole section on kitten care on: cats.about.com
  • Maggie BussaMaggie Bussa Member Posts: 191
    edited 15 May, 2008
    It is so sad what happened to momma cat. :( That always brings tears to my eyes. I am so happy that you and a co-worker will care for these babies. As soon as you are able, I would also take them to the vet to get checked out and make sure they are healthy.
  • edited 15 May, 2008
    Hi at 5 weeks old she should be able to lap up the formula on her own. So just mix it up and put it on a small saucer or in her food dish. Also definately try the canned kitten food too.
  • JessicaJessica Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    edited 15 May, 2008
    Ditto to getting her to a vet ASAP. It's important to make sure she's dewormed and checked out for disease. From the pictures of her, it looks like she has an eye infection. :(
    edited 16 May, 2008
    yes she is going to vet she is also eating canned kitten food!! Yeah ! I am still offering kitty milk too! I came home from work and tried a couple times then all of a sudden she started eating I am soooo very happy I was worried!!;c;=D>
  • Briar PBriar P Member Posts: 39
    edited 16 May, 2008
    she is very cute!,she looks to me to be about 5-6 weeks old(from her pics on her page),if so she would be able to eat on her own it is great that you saved her,from the looks of the pics,she has an eye infection(common in ALL kittens,not just strays) she will need antibiotics for that ^^
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 16 May, 2008
    Lady Marmalade, you're a cutie! Mom says she's glad you're eating, and will go to the vet soon. She says your mom better watch it, us orange cats usually play for keeps, so she bets you're already worming your way into a permanent spot in your foster mommy's heart!
    edited 16 May, 2008
    oh yeah she is here for keeps I already love her!!!:D
    edited 17 May, 2008
    She is doing good vet gave some drops for the eye and wormed her. She is even using litter box!! I am so proud of her! Thanks to you guys for the great advice by the way
  • Maggie BussaMaggie Bussa Member Posts: 191
    edited 17 May, 2008
    Great news! Thanks for the update you lil cutie! Bet you'll grow into a real beauty!