You want to put that harness one ME?!

Annalisa DahlenAnnalisa Dahlen Vancouver, WaMember Posts: 14
edited 22 May, 2008 in Cats & Travel
Yes! You can travel long distances with your cat on a harness. It can be done. Two years ago I moved from Dallas Tx back home to Vancouver, Wa. A month before the trip I bought a harness & leash and started dragging it around, and let my cat bat at it and get used to it. Daily I started putting the harness part on her then toss her treatsm then I fed her dinner to her while she was wearing it. Initially she just laid there like a 100 ton weight had been applied and snapped her precious legs off. Then, she started moving around cautiously until it became second nature to have it on. That is, after she was satisfied that rolling around and rubbing it on things that it wasn't going to come off anytime soon. After awhile I was able to leave the leash on her to drag around and she accepted it as well as any cat could. I started picking up the leash and walking with her on it. It was like it was her idea. The trip home was great - she was able to exit the car with me and we stopped in many national parks (The Grand Canyon and Painted Desert were spectacular!) and I was able to get her into the fresh air. She especially liked a park in New Mexico that was along some water. She found the huge bugs fascinating. She used the litter box (it was in the back of the blazer) during the drive and slept and meowed like normal. I wanted to share this story because putting a leash on a cat can be done with a little bit of patience and care. Good luck to all that travel!

Comments

• Tara WTara W St. PaulMember Posts: 939
    edited 13 May, 2008
    I agree! Harness and leash is definitely the way to travel. I took to mine right away. I love being able to go outdoors and smell things and chase bugs and stuff. Carriers make me cranky and crazy. Now we have to work on getting the new cat, Gordie, harness trained. He had it on for a little while last night and he kept throwing himself on the ground. He looked ridiculous.
  • Nuk AnukNuk Anuk Member Posts: 846
    edited 14 May, 2008
    Yes! Your method of harness *accustoment* is almost exactly how I became accustomed to my harness. Just like you I was so used to seeing around during the day, that I knew it was nothing to fear. Then when it was on me, I crouched low, walked like I was in the jungle, but eventually figured out that I could stand upright, walk, jump and do all my usual things even with the harness on me. Then came the leash and I will walk with that "if I think it's my idea" I like to lead the people, not be led by them.
  • Darlene WagnerDarlene Wagner MilwaukeeMember Posts: 1,075
    edited 16 May, 2008
    I HATE THOSE THINGS!!! Of course mommy got me when I was 3, so I already had something she calls bad habits. I want to go outside and play, but I keep fighting the harness, so she said okay-we will just do a leash. I do the same for that. She said if I am not careful, I will end up getting hurt because I keep trying to sneak outside to play whenever somebody opens the door. I keep saying that I won't because I am smart, and I ONLY want to play a little bit. SHE DOESN'T BELIEVE ME!!!!
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 16 May, 2008
    Well, mom is trying the whole "leaving the harness out as if it's a normal household item". So far I either sniff it diffidently and run away from it, or chew at it and then walk away. Mom thinks it'll take very long to undo my dislike of the harness because daddy pushed it on me too fast. :(
  • Annalisa DahlenAnnalisa Dahlen Vancouver, WaMember Posts: 14
    edited 22 May, 2008
    Poor Boris! Yes, I get it, too fast, but, give it a chance. Wear it during meal time. You'll get used to it, promise!