Really Important question! With a story.... Adult content!

Michelle JohnsonMichelle Johnson MonroeMember Posts: 21
edited 24 May, 2008 in Kitten Corner
Ok, here goes! I have a horse, whom lives at a boarding barn 2 miles away. There are only 2 other boarders there, Mike and Karen. Karen is a nice lady, she is a cop and she works at the local Petsmart part time. One day she brought in two kittens to live at the barn, saying that someone had dumped them, and she was rescuing them. She says they are both female, and sisters. I say, don't you know that the cats that are already here are all males, and brothers? "Oh, I'm planning to get them fixed, and get them all of their shots!" The months go by, and although she says she got them their shots, she still has not gotten them fixed. I called her the day the kittens started showing signs of being in heat, and I even witnessed on the the males mount! " I don't have the money to get them fixed right now, so I guess they will just have to get pregnant, the little hussies!" so 1 of the kittens does have babies, and the other had been pregnant, but we think she may have lost her litter. I let her know that by the time they are done suckling, the mother will be pregnant again! " I still don't have the money!" She found a home for the 2 kittens that the momma did have, and then took the kittens from the mother 4 weeks too early! They would have needed mothers milk for 2 more weeks! I had already told her, and the people who wanted them, when would be the appropriate time, but they couldn't wait that long apparently! On top of this problem, both of the female cats are really skinny! She feeds them, and I feed them. Sometimes though, there will be no food for days! anywhere from 2 to 5 days! I even had to buy them food once b/c I was sick of them being so hungry! Mind you, I have very little extra money to spend on animals that are not mine! I have 2 cats at home of my own to care for, plus a horse to feed! My question is, if it were you, would you intervene, and take these female cats away, like to the pound? I have been thinking of taking them to the pound, so at least they will have to be fixed before thy can find a new home. Or if the worst of all things happens, at least they will not be making more kittens! They are both really nice cats, and one of them is sure to find a home b/c she loves to cuddle! What would be better?

Comments

• emma clarkeemma clarke Nottingham Robin Hood CountryMember Posts: 6,819
    edited 21 May, 2008
    I would say to take them away but only as long as it's somewhere thats a no-kill shelter, i.e. one where they will NOT be put to sleep if they aren't rehomed immediately. It's very difficult at this time of year as you may find any cat rescue shelters are full of pregnant or nursing cats and kittens. That woman sounds like an idiot. It's SO wrong of her to let them get pregnant then take away the kittens too soon. It's so irresponsible. People like her make me sick, you deserve a medal for not losing your temper with her! Hopefully you can find somewhere in your area where they can take them, get them spayed and rehomed.
  • emma clarkeemma clarke Nottingham Robin Hood CountryMember Posts: 6,819
    edited 21 May, 2008
    Maybe you could inquire if any cat charities in your area are doing any low cost or free spaying neutering at the moment. You sometimes find that they do that at this time of year. For example where I live the Cats Protection League are doing free spay/neuter vouchers for anyone throughout the month of May. But if the poor cats are being fed regularly then they need to be rehomed.
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    edited 21 May, 2008
    Peppie makes some good points. I don\'t know if I would just take them though... technically they are hers (even if she is an irresponsible idiot - OMC is she seriously a cop?!) and if she ever finds out you took them with out her approval you could be in trouble. Perhaps you could ask around, find a nice no kill shelter or rescue and then approach this idiot about it. Offer to take them there yourself for her since she has failed to provide the care these cats need and keeps siting no money. Tell her it\'s a no kill facility and they will be spayed and get all the care they need and then be adopted out to a loving home. If you truly don\'t think you will get anywhere with this idiot, then don\'t approach her. If the cats are outdoors maybe she won\'t notice or care if one \"disappeared\" one day and the other \"disappeared\" a few days later...
  • Michelle JohnsonMichelle Johnson MonroeMember Posts: 21
    edited 21 May, 2008
    Thanks guys so much! I really don't want to say anything to her, b/c I don't want to start a fight or anything, I just think she is being seriously irresponsible! And she knows that they will just breed again, as if there is nothing wrong with that! There are just too many animals being put to sleep in the shelters for her to just let it happen! The thing that really gets me, is she works at a petsmart! They rehome dozens of cats for a nearby shelter, so she should know how many there are out there w/o a home! Plus Petsmart has connections with those types of help, such as a mobile van that goes around and spays/neuters for like $40! P.s. I'm sorry for the content, but I wanted you guys to know what she had said about them when I told her that they were breeding! Like its their fault!
  • Maggie BussaMaggie Bussa Member Posts: 191
    edited 21 May, 2008
    Fixing these cats is very important. Even if she ends up keeping the cats, if you have the extra money, offer to help her spay them...and let them recover with you maybe? Then at least they will start off right The trouble is, if you take them away, she may just get more and then you're in the same boat. Try and work with her....for the kitty's sake. After all, that is your main concern, right?
  • Maggie BussaMaggie Bussa Member Posts: 191
    edited 21 May, 2008
    Fixing these cats is very important. Even if she ends up keeping the cats, if you have the extra money, offer to help her spay them...and let them recover with you maybe? Then at least they will start off right The trouble is, if you take them away, she may just get more and then you're in the same boat. Try and work with her....for the kitty's sake. After all, that is your main concern, right?
  • Forrest JenkinsForrest Jenkins Member Posts: 439
    edited 21 May, 2008
    I agree. You both use this barn, so you both have an interest in not stabling your horses where they are surrounded by an uncontrolled cat population. If you found a low-cost spay program in your area (the one in my area will do it for $40, and will give vouchers for free spays/neuters in some cases), could you and she split the cost of care? Also, it would be a good idea to go ahead and start neutering the male cats. That will prevent fights, injuries, and the spread of disease through fighting, at least within the barn cat community. If she will not cooperate, I think you would have a pretty good chance of avoiding any legal trouble with her because it sounds like she is neglecting them. Access to food and water is a bare minimum requirement of pet ownership. If she cannot live up to that, she should not have "rescued" these cats. I agree with Armand that if she is this ignorant, she probably will bring more cats to the barn, and you will feel no better about future cats than you do about these. Try to work with her on getting the cats fixed, and see if you can talk her into some kind of feeding schedule so you will know the last time they ate. Also, if they are having to compete with all those tomcats for food, they may just need to be fed separately to ensure they get enough.
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 21 May, 2008
    This is Delyte. Who owns the barn? Can they force her to get the cats fixed? They surely don't want a herd of cats breeding around there! There are usually mice around horse food, but at this rate you will have one cat for every mouse. Poor little kitties, not hussies at all. I would report her to wherever she works at Petsmart--they should not want someone with this kind of mindset working for them. Plus maybe they could get her a big discount on the spaying and help with the rehoming?
  • Nuk AnukNuk Anuk Member Posts: 846
    edited 22 May, 2008
    From Virginia Statutes (Agriculture, Horticulture & Food Comprehensive Animal Laws) 3.1-796.68. Care of animals by owner 1984 amend. 1998 Summary: Requires that every owner of a companion animal provide adequate food, water, clean shelter, space (according to age, size, species & weight), exercise, care, treatment, transportation and veterinary care when needed or to prevent suffering or disease transmission. Exceptions: establishments operated under the immediate supervision of a vet in the routine practice of vet medicine animals boarded under the immediate supervision of a vet does not require that animals used as food for other animals be euthanized game & wildlife must be cared for per Game Board regulations Penalty: Per 18.2-403.3, Class 4 Misdemeanor (18.2-11) maximum $250 fine. What is Animal Cruelty? You don’t have to hit an animal to be cruel to him—depriving an animal of food, water or necessary medical care is neglect, which is a form of cruelty. There are two general categories of animal neglect: simple neglect and gross, willful, cruel or malicious neglect. Simple neglect (failure to provide basic needs) is not always considered a criminal act, and can often be resolved by the intervention of local animal care and control or humane agencies, which may be able to offer resources and educate offenders on how to provide proper care for their animals. However, a growing number of states make a distinction between simply failing to take adequate care of animals and intentionally or knowingly withholding sustenance. Accordingly, “willful” neglect is considered a more serious, often prosecutable offense. Search for Low Cost Spay/Neuter in your area - Input your zipcode and choose your distance 5-50 miles. Low Cost Spay and Neuter Animal shelters in Virginia Animal shelters in Virginia
  • edited 24 May, 2008
    I agree with Delyte: Who owns the barn? Talk with the owners of the barn, because technically she dumped the kittens there.