new kitten, limited supplies..

November OchoaNovember Ochoa San DiegoMember Posts: 51
edited 25 May, 2008 in Kitten Corner
Hey! My friend just rescued a kitten. She is currently working on a tiny island in the Philippines and she has to fly to the mainland to get adequate supplies (litter, good kitten food). She only has access to adult dry food (whiskas, yech!) and she is using sand from the beach as litter! She is not sure of the age but the kitten is a little bigger than the palm of her hand. So far, they baby peed in the corner, not in the litterbox. Also, she has not seen the vet (she will take her this weekend).Any advice? I guess it's better than the kitten fending for herself but I'm sure there are better ways to deal with the situatio. Thanks!

Comments

• Maggie BussaMaggie Bussa Member Posts: 191
    edited 22 May, 2008
    I think it is important that the kitten not have to continue to use sand from the beach. I don't think sand is the best for peeing in....I hope she can get adequate supplies soon. Sand can be very irritating to eyes, little noses and any oriface that it touches. Plus if the kitty is spayed or neutered, it can get into an incision and cause infection!!!!! Hope she can get the right supplies for the kitty!!!!
    edited 22 May, 2008
    Even a box of shredded newpaper or paper is better than sand, FYI.
  • Ellie CarterEllie Carter SeattleMember Posts: 2,252
    edited 22 May, 2008
    I too suggest shredded Newspaper. It can work as a temporary solution until you can get regular kitty litter.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 22 May, 2008
    Shredded newspaper, definitely. It's best for kittens, period, because they don't get the concept of peeing in a box without maternal guidance, so s/he might think the litter box is a sandbox. Your friend should look for signals the kitty is trying to eliminate, and pick the kitten up and set him/her down on the newspaper to finish. Then when s/he is done, your human might have to demonstrate "covering up". Good luck.
  • November OchoaNovember Ochoa San DiegoMember Posts: 51
    edited 22 May, 2008
    Thank you so much for your advice. God, the vet on that island doesn't even have the FVRCPC shots. They only do rabies and parvo! She will fly her kitty to the mainland to see a better vet. In the meantime, should she get the parvo shot? I don't recall my cat ever getting that. Is it just for dogs?
  • Barbara LindellBarbara Lindell Sunnyvale, CA/San Francisco, LMember Posts: 544
    edited 23 May, 2008
    Hey Rocko, yes, Parvo is just for dogs! And by the way, judging by the size of the furbie, might be too young to vaccinate...They have to be at least 6-8 weeks for their first shots:) A good all-ver exam would be in order, however! Little ones separated from Mom this early often don't get the protection they would from breast milk. Hope this helps!
    edited 23 May, 2008
    Yes, I would wait to get ANY shots until kitty can see a vet. Some shots are just for dogs, like PARVO.
  • edited 25 May, 2008
    Clean the corner and wherever else the kitten peed with safe cleaner (not bleach!) and put it in the litterbox whenever it seems like it has to go potty. Bleach is very harmful, and especially bad for little eyes and noses. Soap and water is good, something with citrus is good also. Most cats hate citrus, so that could prevent the kitten from reusing those spots. Wheat grass or rye grass is helpful for the digestive system. Regular grass makes most kitties throw up. Hope this helps!