need help with a critical decision

Briar PBriar P Member Posts: 39
edited 26 May, 2008 in Kitten Corner
As all of you know,on april 25th 2008,Jasmine had 5 beutiful kittens, keeping in mind that she is abit older, as had been through several litters,and SHOULD have been spayed 2 litters ago, so Gizmo,(from two litters ago) and the litter before this one,shouldn't even exist..but they do,and I'm happy about that...:)..because kittens are always such a wonderful thing... But now this litter has raised a delima...the kittens are happy and healthy 4 week olds, except for the eye infections wich have radiated through the litter,but with the help of antibiotics,is being brought under control..however, the kittens have been basically like little parasites this go around, even though it's been 4 weeks, momma has put on NO wieght,what so ever and is skin and bones. and here recently,over the past few hours atleast (we took the kittens outside for a bit of a play and when we brought them back in about an hour later,thats when we noticed) that she seems to be having problems walking and standing, so the kittens are just running her down,and with her age.. now heres the question,the kittens turned..well turn 4 weeks old today(it's 1am,the first kitten turns 4 weeks at like 10:15am)..they have had thier first tastes of wet cat food,and thier little teeth are coming in..my wife had said something that this litter may kill momma,and with her state,was surprised that it hadn't yet..so my question is,would it be wise to either completly pull the kittens from momma and wean them at just four weeks old,or gradually pull them for a few hours at a time,and slowly wean them? My wife even mentioned taking them away all day and letting momma nurse at night??... she's had so many litters taken from her at young ages by other people,that i wanted to let her raise this litter until SHE decided she'd had enough,but now it looks like thats not an option..She will still be spayed when the kittens are 7,8 weeks old,but I was just wondering what would be a good course of action to take? thanks! Jasmine,Gizmo,Graci,Grizzly,Tyson,Sicily,Talon,Rafiki,JB, and all the others:P

Comments

• Roxann RobbinsRoxann Robbins Member Posts: 3,268
    edited 23 May, 2008
    Start bottle-feeding the kittens/weaning them and take momma to a vet. She shouldn't be having trouble walking and needs to be seen asap. If she has some sort of illness/infection the kittens may need medication as well. purrrrs, Biscuit
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 23 May, 2008
    Just because you might relieve Jasmine of feeding the kittens does not mean she can't enjoy mothering them in other ways. This is the time that mom start transitioning from feeding them constantly to teaching them other things (litter, and play). You never know, once she doesn't have to feed them anymore, she might feel better and be able to enjoy their company more. I would listen to Biscuit. Do take mom to the vet, and based on his diagnosis, the whole litter might have to be seen. Good luck!
  • Donna LenzDonna Lenz BethelMember Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 May, 2008
    I would take Momma and the babies to the vet asap. Even though you're using antibiotics - they could have parasites. They should be old enough to be dewormed. Momma could have a lot of things going on - and only a vet can really figure it out. I would suggest you get her spayed as soon as the vet thinks it's safe. An older cat having mutiple litters can lead to some really majore medical issues with both Momma and the new babies.
  • Briar PBriar P Member Posts: 39
    edited 24 May, 2008
    well,Momma seems to be doing abit better today,shes up and walking,not limping I think her legs were just bothering her,I believe she may have some arthritus. unfortunatly she cannot be seen by a vet until the first week of june(makes me sound like a bad owner) but thats the only time this vet had availible for walk ins,it's a free thingy...hard to explain.
  • emma clarkeemma clarke Nottingham Robin Hood CountryMember Posts: 6,819
    edited 24 May, 2008
    Are you feeding Jasmine kitten food? I've heard that it's good to feed a nursing mother kitten food as it has more nutrients that she really needs. If I were you, I'd go out and buy Jasmine the best quality meat based canned kitten food you can afford.
  • Jenna LuskJenna Lusk Pacific NWMember Posts: 2,034
    edited 24 May, 2008
    I will echo what the others have said: until you can get her to the vet, give the mommy the very best canned kitten food you can afford and begin bottle feeding the babies. I would be very cautious, too, about letting Mama go outside. You do not want her to get pregnant again, and if you begin to take care of the kittens for her, it may throw her body into heat. So, inside is best for all of them until they can all be seen by a vet and spayed (or neutered for the boy kittens).
    edited 24 May, 2008
    Jasmine is being fed kitten food,purina to be exact and has been since the kittens were born...though nowadays she seems to prefer our dogs puppy food over kitten food O_O as for going outside,Jasmine doesn't go outside,she stays in her room and the mian house,and even helps round up the outside cats who come in and chase them back out the door xD..and she won't be allowed back outside until she is spayed,if at all,she doesn't get on well with other cats.
  • tammy whitakertammy whitaker indianapolisMember Posts: 234
    edited 26 May, 2008
    please take Jasmine to the vet ,it is hard having babies but she should not be having the problems you mentioned we will keep purring and praying for your Jasmine and the babies will do fine on KMR or Just Born replacement milk,,good luck
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 26 May, 2008
    I also say visit the vet--I see from the profile that jasmine is 8 years old-- I don't think that's nearly old enough for the pain to be age related. I also agree that more supplemental feeding for all kthe kitties is in order. Babies taken away that young many times develop personality problems that make them hard to adopt out. They need Mom to correct them when they play too hard, and to teach them how to get along with other cats.
    edited 26 May, 2008
    with the help of a nieghbor,my wife(whos studying to become a dog groomer) Shaved the matts away from Jasmines belly and nipples,wich seems to help alot. even so she will still be seen by a vet. as far as adopting kittens oout,these kittens aren't going anywhere,so pulling them this young wouldn't be a problem,we arn't going to,but still
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 May, 2008
    Make sure she's eating the kitten food and not dog food. Dog food is too low in nutrients like protein and taurine for a cat. Cats can develop health problems from eating primarily dog food even without the stress of pregnancy, birth, and nursing.