Who greets YOU at the door?

Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
edited 29 May, 2008 in Other Meows & Purrs
We are a four-cat, one-Human household. When Meowmy comes home from being out for a long time, we\'re always there to greet her (and our motivation isn\'t only the expectation of food--we think it\'s kind of our job to welcome her back). Generally, we follow the same pattern. I, Spot, am at the door, looking as if I want to bolt, but I really just want to be the first to greet Meowmy. Chibi is right next to the door, too, on top of the cat carriers that are stacked in the entranceway. Harvey is around two feet away, on top of a low shelf in the hall. And Leila is peeking out from the kitchen. We can recognize Meowmy\'s steps as she approaches the door (heck, we can hear her bicycle as she approaches our apartment building), so that\'s why we\'re always on hand to greet her. Sometimes, though, if she\'s just been gone a short time, or comes home in mid-afternoon (kitty REM time!), she catches us unawares and there\'s no one there to welcome her back. Of course, she greets us all by name and pets us on the head. She makes sure to greet me first, because I was an Only Cat before those Maine Coon interlopers invaded my life and territory, and she wants me to know that I\'m still Number One Cat. Then she greets Chibi, Harvey, and Leila. When Meowmy leaves for work, she makes a point of saying good-bye to each of us in turn, but usually we\'re too busy with other stuff, like sleeping in (me!), or hanging out at the cat tower (Leila and Harvey) to pay much attention. Chibi, though, has taken it upon herself to be Meowmy\'s official sender-offer, and precedes Meowmy as she goes down the long hall that leads to the door, her Maine Coon tail erect and fluffy. Then she jumps up on the shelf near the door and lets Meowmy pet her head and say good-bye. This always makes Meowmy want to stay home and play with us kitties... How about at YOUR place, Catsters? :^:

Comments

• Darlene WagnerDarlene Wagner MilwaukeeMember Posts: 1,075
    edited 13 May, 2008
    I can tell mommy is home when I hear the beep-beep of her car getting locked, so I run to the door and wait for her (sometimes when she opens it I try and sneak out). Cleo s l o w l y comes over after for pets. When daddy comes home we both run up and sit in front of him-if doesn't pet us we meow...sometimes he gives us treats. Cleo, before I came along, used to cry for our people when they left, she doesn't anymore, but I do. I go to the door and cry. I can't help it! I just want to know they are safe.
  • Sandi MahanaSandi Mahana Member Posts: 4,011
    edited 13 May, 2008
    When my mommy comes home i run to the door and jump on the bench right next to the door and wait for her to come in.
  • Natalie DetertNatalie Detert Milwaukee, WIMember Posts: 6,140
    edited 13 May, 2008
    I usually am laying on the couch, I can hear Mommy's truck from down the street, so I know she is coming. I watch her drive up the driveway, sometimes, she stops in the driveway and rolls down her window and says Hi to me. Then when she comes in, I saunter to the door, and sit pretty in the hallway. Then I meow for supper!! MOL!
  • Natalie DetertNatalie Detert Milwaukee, WIMember Posts: 6,140
    edited 13 May, 2008
    I'm Tally's older sisfur, I too, sometimes lay on the couch and wait for Mommy to drive up the driveway. Me and Tally either switch off, or both of us lay on the couch and watch. When Mommy parks her car in the garage, then I go to the back door and wait patiently for her to come in. Once she's in, then I spin around and run into the kitchen and wait by the cupboard for her to get supper ready. Just so you cats know, Mommy is not allowed to do anything except feed us first. Sometimes, I don't even wait until she takes off her jacket and shoes!
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 13 May, 2008
    I don't greet at the door so much as I keep watch on the window. When I see mom getting out of the car, my tail twitches and I try and race mom to the door. Now, when it comes to dad I can hear his bike from a block away. My ears perk up and I get on top of my tower in preparation. Then when he walks in I descend to the floor, go rub myself against him and climb the tower again. That's a signal for dad to come to the tower and butt heads with me. It's a guy thing. :))
  • Tanya MundyTanya Mundy boulderMember Posts: 763
    edited 14 May, 2008
    Your post makes me sorta sad. Dulci was a special cat. unique in that she wanted to be with me, 24/7. she was a lap kitty who demanded being carried around everywhere i went. and yes, she could hear my car and was always waiting for me when I came home. she got the first lovin' of the house, even over the hubby! My two, now, are more or less ambivilant about the door. They will both eventually get around to greeting me - usually within 10 or 15 mintues, and Horus is by far the more needy when we get home. but nothing will ever replace that look from Miss Dulci. You felt so loved - no matter how bad the day was or how good. pouts. some days i miss her more than others.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 14 May, 2008
    Oh, Dulci's mom, I'm so sorry. If it makes you feel any better, mommy says to remind you that having a kitty who meets you at the door and has to be petted first has its drawbacks. For example, I don't really understand why mom has to put the grocery bags down, when she should be petting me and telling me how much she missed me. I whine non-stop until she does pet me, and then run between her legs while she puts groceries away. One time I almost made mommy fall flat down on the floor, and she was a little annoyed about it. :(
  • Tanya MundyTanya Mundy boulderMember Posts: 763
    edited 14 May, 2008
    Boris, We in this house do not know why she should be MAD about it. Tripping our humans is a daily game. Especially now that we have the NEW STAIRS.... WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! Iz loves running ups and downs the stairs and tring to play tag with her legs. Especially if she has the laundry basket. then she can't see me so its even more fun. She keeps saying that "one overweight woman goign with gravity against a 5 lb cat... who do you think will win", but i don't know WHAT she means by that!
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 20 May, 2008
    So sorry that my thread brought back sad memories for Dulci and maybe for some other Catsters as well. My Rainbow Bridge kitties, a brother and sister duo, were so convinced that THEY were superior to ME that they never greeted me at the door. Indeed, they would usually run and hide, or just give me a look of disdain (\"There are two of us, and only one of YOU, and we notice you only have two legs, you Human slave, you\") from their perch on the couch. They were affectionate kitties (always slept with me), but not into degrading themselves by greeting me at the door.
  • Ocean SaintOcean Saint Member Posts: 3
    edited 29 May, 2008
    Greeting seems like it is too much work to do. Well, maybe when I come from outside I go look for my, 'mommy' and tell her I am home. ^-^ I think that is close to be greeted.