Diluted black point kitty? O_O

Briar PBriar P Member Posts: 39
edited 30 May, 2008 in Kitten Corner
ok,so I'm not sure if this is the place to ask,but I'm curious xD two of Jasmines kittens are deffenatly BLACK,solid black with maybe a hint of white mixed in,like all black cats have but little talon has been really noticably different from birth,with ALOT of noticable white fur under black tipped fur..we thought he was just going to be a really wierd patterned black and white cat. that was until friday morning..we had wiped his eyes and face,and only wet did we notice that the black fur on his face,around his eyes,nose,and mouth looked "traced" with a ring of white fur like...well,a point on a pointed cat,his legs are the same,he body is basically the same white based fur with black upper tips until you get to his front legs,wich are diffenatly more white from just below his elbows down to his paws,where the white stops and goes into black..like a pointed cat..his back legs are almost completly black,so is his tail. so my question is,is he just a very cool looking black cat,or is there a black pointed kitty underneath of a Diluting black coat?? I can try and get some pics of him if needed both dry and wet xD,though I'd probly only wipe down his face from him pics.

Comments

• JessicaJessica Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 May, 2008
    Looks like smoke markings. Or however that's called.
  • Stephanie NikolaiStephanie Nikolai Member Posts: 355
    edited 25 May, 2008
    I would call is Black Smoke as well. It will be interesting to see how he looks as he grows!
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 25 May, 2008
    White fur with black tipping is called \"black smoke.\" I\'m not sure about the pointed coloration aspect though--is there some genetic heritage from a Siamese or other colorpoint cat? Black smokes can be totally black cats (with the fur beneath the tips white), or they can be black and white cats, with the black area made up of white fur with black tips. The \"dilute\" form of black is \"blue,\" that is, dark grey. So I would not describe your cat as \"dilute.\" On your page, you describe him as \"silver tipped\"--which seems to contradict your claim that he is a black cat with white (not silver) near the roots. It is my understanding (and I\'m not really up on these things) that \"silver tipped\" would be a silver cat that has just a small amount of black near the tips, resulting in the impression of a silver, rather than grey cat. For information on this confusing topic, you can reference: http://www.messybeast.com/chinchillas.htm I hope you can understand the explanations better than I can!
  • Briar PBriar P Member Posts: 39
    edited 25 May, 2008
    "On your page, you describe him as "silver tipped"--which seems to contradict your claim that he is a black cat with white (not silver) near the roots" That is because thats what my wifes mother originally called him,and he looked much different when he was younger then he does now. I am not sure about any siamese or other pointed cats as I know little about both parents(use-to-be Strays),other than the fact that jasmine carries classic tabby markings as a few of her kittens have been classics and that cat that she looks as though she has munchkin,mainecoon,and persian in her(by the way of her looks).
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 26 May, 2008
    I think your guess that he\'s just \'a very cool looking cat\' is correct. I look solid black in my pic here, but really I am a Smoke--my inner coat is almost white, and my tummy is definately gray.
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 27 May, 2008
    he may turn into a dark tabby
  • Christine MartinChristine Martin Member Posts: 4
    edited 29 May, 2008
    Hey you sound like me! I started off almost solid black with just some occasional white hairs. Now my mommy says my belly is salt and pepper looking. I also have two white strips on my back that make me look almost like a skunk. (my vet thought that was unusual) Mom says I keep changing on a daily basis. So she is not sure what color I am going to end up being.
  • Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoMember Posts: 11,036
    edited 30 May, 2008
    I would say black smoke as well...although possibly they could develop tabby markings later or turn out to be masked silver.
  • Briar PBriar P Member Posts: 39
    edited 30 May, 2008
    well,his two brothers are black,and they deffenatly have the typical markings alot of black cats have,spots and stripes,but Talon doesn't..atleast not right now xD whatever he turns out to be,it's ok with us!