raw food yuck I want kibble

Veronica NieburVeronica Niebur Member Posts: 49
edited 25 June, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
will someone help my mom!!! she is gonna strangle herself :( I refuse to eat raw chicken. she tried it all! Salmon oil, tuna, cooked chick en is there anything else???????????????? I am picky anyway but now I am starving!! Not really but thats how I am playing it, shes a little soft :) Is there any reverse physicolgy out there for me??

Comments

• edited 27 February, 2006
    I'm not quite clear on how exactly your mom has been introducing the chicken to you but here's how we got started. Mom made a batch of our raw diet(ground chicken thighs, turkey hearts, chicken livers and supplements) and she would mix a little of the batch in with canned food. She'd start real small by using 1/4 of a teaspoon of raw to 1/2 canned food and would s-l-o-w-l-y increase the amount so before we knew it, we were eating completely raw. Now I admit, I still need a little coaxing so mom mixes a small amount of clam juice in with my food and I gobble it up. No one ever said cats took change readily so your mom needs to be patient, a little creative and give you time to accept the diet change. It's well worth it in the end.
  • Veronica NieburVeronica Niebur Member Posts: 49
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi. Thanks I talked to her and shes gonna start again.. I hate my brothers cause they made it easy on her!!
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Raw chicken is often infested with salmonella. You're probably smelling the bacterial odors and rejecting it because you don't want to get infected. Most quality commercial pet diets are formulated to provide balanced nutrition. Homemade diets are hard to keep balanced, you will be at increased risk for problems cause by deficiencies or excessive amounts of certain nutrients. Tell your mommy to quit starving you and give you your kibble.
  • Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Fallon is right on! Another thing I've heard of is to sprinkle a little tamari soy sauce on the raw food. I've never had it, but I hear it's yummy!
    Arthur- I must repectfully disagree with your statements. Cats are built differently from humans and we are not as susceptible to the problems that eating raw meat can cause for people. Our digestives systems work much faster than a human's does, giving bacteria little time to multiply. Also, the most important thing to note here is that we are carnivores, dispite what the pet food industry will have you believe and we were designed by mother nature herself to eat RAW meat. The statement which you made about 'smelling' salmonella is unfounded. I would imagine a cat might turn it's nose up at meat that was past it's prime( I know I would!) but the smell of fresh meat should not be an issue. The fact that this cat has been eating k*bble means it's used to the smell and taste of the artificial goodness that the pet food companies spray on those little nuggets to make it more appealing. Of course, fresh raw meat has none of that. While commercial pet foods are made be 'complete and balanced' does not mean it's what's best for us. People don't make complete and balanced cereal a main part of their diet so why should we have to settle for it. Humans have learned that fresh foods will always prevail over processed foods, now why are cats different? Also, stating that homemade diets are hard to balance is not the truth. Granted, we would not want our humans to 'wing it' and feed us what they would feed themselves or even what they think we should eat but anyone who can take the time to read up on the subject and follow a recipe plan can manage to feed their cat a fresh food diet. Before I step down off my soap box I wish to state that I am not trying to cause an arguement but rather I would not want certain comments to deter a catparent from looking into a raw or even homecooked diet. There are thousands of animals who thrive on raw diets without any of these issues comming into play and these animals are better for it today. A lot of cat parents do not feel comfortable with the idea or for certain reasons they wish to feed a commercial diet, then that's okay by me but please do not down a way of feeding that you're not familar with.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks Xavier, My mom wanted to say the same thing. By the way she took some suggestions and I am trying to eat this new stuff. I managed to get some turkey down last night. She is bribing me but she is being patient and understanding. thanks for all the input everyone keep it coming!
  • Tabitha Smith-ElliottTabitha Smith-Elliott Gainesville/Hall County, GAMember Posts: 11,582
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I think everycat made some very helpful points. Thankyou all.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Xavier makes a good point ... I have always been curious about the "complete and balanced" statements on prepared cat food. I see my human eating different things every day, and it doesn't look "complete and balanced" all the time, so I wonder if anyone can really guarantee that their product can meet that promise. It's something to think about. I guess we all do our best as much as we can. I'm glad we have this forum to share our thoughts and discuss ideas!
  • Heather HHeather H Satellite BeachMember Posts: 18
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I'm not crazy about raw food either, I prefer Kibble.. but if you have nothing else to eat im sure you'll eventually begin to like your raw food x)
  • Ingrid BaerIngrid Baer Red DeerMember Posts: 149
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I'm surprised so many cats don't like raw meat! Me and Willow LOVE raw meat, though Buffy doesn't care for it. When the human puts down a bowl of raw meat, Buffy sniffs it and walks away, but Willow and me, we pig out. Mom wants to convert us to a raw diet, but she hasn't worked out how much it'll cost (a container of pre-made raw costs about $3, and a can of wet food that's the same size as the container is about $1.70). She wants to at least feed each of us a spoonful or two of raw meat every night, but hates the idea of having us completely, lovingly converted only to find out she's going bankrupt, but can't pursuade us to go back to kibbled diets, lol. So a half raw, half kibble should be fine. What kind of raw are you feeding? The pre-made frozen meat you can buy at the pet food store, or actual meat from the grocery store? Mom wants to use the premade stuff, since it's more convenient (she's deathly afraid of making the diet herself, since she might give improper levels of nutrition), but she's heard it's not as healthy. Something about preservatives or something.
    Our mom makes our raw batches at home. She feels better this way because she knows how it\'s being handled and processed and she\'s certain of the quality of the ingredients that go into it as well. She\'s also found that premades are a lot more expensive to feed us vs. doing it herself. She buys our food through a raw food co-op that orders from BRAVO and several farms in the New England area. I think the problem with some premades(I say say some because I\'m sure there are some we haven\'t looked into) is they contain a lot of ingredients we don\'t need like veggies, fruit and things like flax seed oil which is not species appropriate. On the other hand, we feel that some raw food is better than no raw food so if premades is the option that works best for you, then by all means! Mom hasn\'t found raw feeding to be very expensive for us cats. She figures it costs about 30-35 dollars a month to feed four of us(Alanna is a k*bble crack addict so while there is 5 of us, only four eat raw) vs. the 50 she was spending when she was feeding us canned food. The price will vary though depending on where you can source your ingredients from.
  • rachel brownrachel brown weatherfordMember Posts: 1,299
    edited 27 February, 2006
    *sigh* mommy keeps trying to get us to just taste the raw food but we won't even budge! she would love to switch us to raw but we are way to stubborn to accomidate her so looks like she's stuck buying kibble for us!
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Well mom finally won the battle! I gave in even tho I get a little ground beef on my food to coax me into eating. We are now 100% kibble crack free! Mom feeds a couple feral cats outside kibble and we still try to steal some but we havent yet cause she is adamant about this thing. So to all you crazy cats out there that are finicky and stubborn you will loose the battle eventually if your moms keep up the efforts. Meowwww
    I knew it was only a matter of time Tiwaz! I think we each have our own period of time we need to adjust to the new food and some cats take to it right away(like my brother), others need a little coaxing(like you and me) and some take months(we know a kitty who took over 6 months to switch!). Give your mom a pat on the back for toughing it out with you!
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Tiwaz, that's great! How are you feeling? I got a lot more energy when I switched to raw, and I hope you're feeling the same.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi Hattie, Wellto be honest I am not sure how I feel. Mom thinks I am too skinny now. I never was a big eater just munched on a few pieces of kibble thru the day . Now I only eat a tiny bit in the morning and night. Mom is almost ready to give me some kibble to get my weight back up!!! Oh boy I dont know what she will do. Any ideas??? by the way I am finickyyy.
    Tiwaz, mom found this to be a problem with Fallon. She isn\'t a big eater and back when she ate kibble, would nibble here and there through the day. Has your mom tried to feed you an extra small meal in the middle of the day? What ever you do, do not revert back to kibble! This could set you back big time and if you know your mom will still give it to you, you\'re going to hold out for it. Perhaps she could mix some canned food in with your meals to make it a little more appealing to you or even add a little parm cheese, clam or tuna juice on top too. Also, in our group, \'Mother Nature\'s Intent\'(I\'m quite sure you are a member) one of my best friends and members of the group, Busbee has a brother who is going through a similar issue and I believe his mom has found a way to work through it. Maybe you could check with him and find out what worked for his brother?
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Tiwaz, how much is \"just a little\"? Sometimes people think that we need more food than we really do. A couple of tablespoons per meal should be just fine. It\'s hard to gauge these things at first, especially if you were a \"grazer\" on dry food. I\'ll also echo Xav\'s comments on not going back to kibble. Your nibbling may just be because you are used to going to your dish for a bite or two and then leaving the rest for later. Of course, you can\'t do that with raw food, but your mom can leave it out for up to 30 minutes without a problem. Sometimes I walk away and come back, myself. The big challenge comes in having defined mealtimes rather than a smorgasbord you can return to whenever you want. If you think about it, our wild ancestors (and feral cousins) have to hunt for their meals and don\'t have food always available to them, so we\'re just going back to the way they operate. Without the hunting, of course! The other thing -- on weight -- I am a little on the small side, myself, and sometimes my human adds a little extra melted butter to the recipe when she\'s making my food. This adds just a touch more fat to a lean meat like turkey (which I love) without becoming the equivalent of fast food french fries. Good luck, and thanks for keeping us updated on your progress!
  • Jordan SpivaJordan Spiva Member Posts: 19
    edited 24 June, 2008
    Yuck I feel sorry for you! I hate salmon oil too. My m0m thought that would make me eat it. But I in general hate fish unless it's a flavor of cat food. She didn't realize this and thought it was just the chunks of beef I was trying to avoid. FINALLY, she mixed in small bits of raw boneless chicken in with some Innova EVO canned cat food. And I barely noticed I ate it. She began increasing the size of the bits until she just put a slab of chicken smothered in canned food and I ate it. She was jumping for joy but I have no idea why she was. I only ate my dinner. A couple days later she finally gave me a peice of chicken without anything added. I sniffed it not knowing what it was then I turned away. Then my instincts all the sudden were screaming at me to turn back and try again and I started lapping up the blood from the bottom of the bowl and after a couple minutes on to the chicken. Chicken is an interesting raw food. It was odd to chew and it was nothing like the holistic kibble and canned varieties I'm used to having on the menu daily. I wouldn't say I don't like it. Next aafter a couple days of boneless chicken(not ground keep in mind) she will try chicken wings. I'll see how I do with this. Anyways good luck to you. Remeber raw isn't disgusting it's just different and it's what you and me were meant to eat. Oh and I almost forgot, mom feeds me raw 4 days a week and I get canned food 3 days a week.
  • Nicole MartinNicole Martin CranfordMember Posts: 185
    edited 25 June, 2008
    Have you tried a preprepared raw food? Angel eats Stella and Chewy's and she loves it. She'll eat the ground chicken but not whole pieces of raw chicken. That might be worth giving a try :)