Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Anyone else have a cat thats a li'l overwheight?

2»

Comments

• Connie Cardwell-WhitisConnie Cardwell-Whitis RichardsonMember Posts: 173
    edited 27 February, 2006
    When my sister and I heard the lady vet whisper to Cat-Mom, "They are O-W," we thought that meant Outstandingly Wonderful....but then we realized it meant 'over-weight!' The lady vet said Cat-Mom would have to start measuring our food and told her what our k-calorie daily limit should be. Once or twice a week we still get a tsp. of low sodium human-grade canned tuna, and Cat-Mom says we are starting to look leaner so limiting our k-calories must be working. We sometimes eat our portion for the day and our bowl is empty by bedtime, but Cat-Mom says we are NOT going to starve, there will be more the next morning, and we have to realize that she wants us to be as healthy as possible and around for a LONG time.
  • Zinnia SantosZinnia Santos Miami/Ft. LauderdaleMember Posts: 232
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I am not overwheight per say but do look heavy because of my plushy hair but what I do have is a flabby belly. Anyone else has the flabby abs. I might need to work out and do abs of steel. Well as long as I don't look like Meatballs from the Adam Sandler and Jack Nicholson movie Anger management. Have meowing weekend!
  • Jennifer McMillionJennifer McMillion BeckleyMember Posts: 230
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I've always been on the hefty side. I'm big boned. Last year I got real sick and lost about 7 lbs ... I weighed 10 lbs then and was WAY too skinny. I put on 3 lbs in the hospital but the vet said she would like for me to gain some more back. Once mom got me home, it was all over!!! I now weigh 3 lbs more than I did when I got sick (a total of 20 lbs) thanks to constant care and attention from mom. The vet says I'm a little big, but that my weight is the least of my concerns (anemia being the #1 concern). That's the good thing about being a cat -- everyone loves you for who you are, regardless of what you look like.
  • Jahoolahoop HojangiJahoolahoop Hojangi Klamath FallsMember Posts: 4
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I weigh 23.5 pounds... but I just started a diet!!
  • KellyMarie ConlonKellyMarie Conlon Woodridge Naperville ChicagoMember Posts: 97
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I'm not fat! I'm fabulously furry and fluffy! Mom was feeding me that Diet Iams stuff, but she stopped using Iams all together after she discovered iamscruelty.com. She has since switched everything over to using companies that don't cause harm to animals in testing their food and products. Thus, now I am just on the general Whole Foods kitty food. It hasn't helped me to lose weight, but Mom is being very careful about portion control, which has helped. Also, since they got the dog, I have lost a whole pound! He keeps me a lot more active than I used to be. A lady at the local Natural Pet store told my Mom that Innova Evo was good for overweight cats because it was low carb or something. HA! I'm a cat! What do I care about low carb? Personally, I am more concerned with stuff that tastes good, doesn't make my poop runny (hate that!), and doesn't give me hairball vomit. Thankfully, Whole Foods kitty food fits that bill! Meow & Tuna Treats, JoeJoe
  • Arlene LaPlumeArlene LaPlume CoventryMember Posts: 1,449
    edited 27 February, 2006
    since i would rather spend most of my days - besides the too cold nights in the winter - outside, i fatten myself up in the winter to help keep warm, and in the summer i lose weight! so for me it all depends on the season!
  • Renee KatruskaRenee Katruska SeattleMember Posts: 61
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I\'m BIG! I gained 4 pounds and I was eating light food. We\'re gonna try high protein food. I love my bigness.
  • Heather LaskeyHeather Laskey LawrenceMember Posts: 35
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Einstein, I gained weight on \"light\" food (that didn\'t even taste that great!) too. Our human female did research and discovered that many cat foods have a high amount of carbohydrates even though cats\' natural diets have very little carbs. We\'re now eating Natural Balance cat food, which is low in carbs and high in protein. For some reason, the humans seem to think that this means that they can feed us less. Oh well, at least I\'m getting a little wet food with dinner now. I\'ve lost 1.5 lbs since being on the new food (I\'ve been on it for approx. 5 months). Big IS beautiful. sigh.
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    Hey, Hilda! Do you know the protein content of that food you eat? I eat Innova Evo, which is 50% protein. I\'ve lost almost a whole pound since I started eating it two months ago. We\'re just wondering what other good, high-protein foods are out there. Isn\'t it great that the petfood manufacturers are finally figuring out what we kitties need, instead of just pretending that we are miniature dogs?
  • Heather LaskeyHeather Laskey LawrenceMember Posts: 35
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I\'m not sure on the exact protein content, but the wet and dry foods have a maximum of 3% fiber. My humans liked that the main ingredients were all meat and that there were not the usual fillers or preservatives in the food.
  • Lindsay RoweLindsay Rowe ArcticMember Posts: 1,776
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Anytime anyone sees me they say I'm fat. I've been trying to lose the same 4 pounds for years. *sigh* it's difficult. I wrote about my weight struggles in my diary.
  • Jacqueline HolladayJacqueline Holladay MuscatineMember Posts: 76
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Overweight? I'm huge, and it isn't all fur. I think last time I was at the vet I weighed 17 lbs. I love food though and after I eat my own, I eat Bram's and then I eat Milphey's too.
  • Tracey ShumkaTracey Shumka Member Posts: 219
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My cat Claire quickly became overweight after I adopted her as a very sad and skinny 2 year old (her page has details). She was only 5 lbs when I got her, and it didn\'t take her long to get to be 14 lbs! For the first month I was feeding her kitten food to help her gain weight, but even after I changed her over to adult food, she just wanted to eat all the time, and kept gaining. I think she started associating food with love, because when she was \'sick\' and needing to gain, I would be encouraging her to eat all the time, with lots of petting and sweet-talking. Anyways... what I really wanted to say was, after trying a variety of different \"weight loss foods\", I finally found something that suited all my cats needs, AND without even trying, Claire has lost 3 lbs since being on it! Three pounds is a lot for a cat. Just think of one pound as a brick of butter, then you realize how much weight that is on a cat\'s small frame. The food that has worked so well for us is, *drum roll please* Nutro Natural Choice Complete Care Indoor Adult Cat. It hasn\'t even been 6 months since I started buying this particular product (I\'ve always had the cats and dog on the Nutro Natural Choice line), and the success has been great. The other cats maintain their healthy weights, and Claire seems to have now settled in at 11 lbs. There is also the same Indoor line for seniors and kittens, and even an actual Indoor Weight Management. My cats also love the canned food from the same line. To those of you who say you like your cat(s) \"Big\'\', sure it may look cute and cuddly to you, but their bodies are, or will be suffering from it. Here are a couple web sites about overweight and obese cats: Article 1 Article 2 Good luck to all you \"full figured\" or \"fluffy\" kitties!
  • Tabitha Smith-ElliottTabitha Smith-Elliott Gainesville/Hall County, GAMember Posts: 11,582
    edited 27 February, 2006
    ATTENTION! We interrupt this thread for an important announcement! Brought to you by Felix. Through me. Meow there, fellow Catsters... We -- my buddy Jacques and myself -- are trying to help out our friend Sweetie. Sweetie is a delightfully charming cat who loves to play matchmaker...only she hasn't yet found a match for herself. So, to help Sweetie find the cat of her dreams, Jacques and I are hosting the first ever "Cat-lorette." If you're up for the challenge of winning Sweetie's heart, be one of the first 25 cats to sign up in the "Sweetie" thread under Catster crushes. All "rules" will be explained there. There, you'll also have the chance to meet Sweetie, and get a sense of what she's looking for in a crush. Good luck to all, and look forward to meeting you in Sweetie's thread! Meow, Felix
  • Barbara NorrisBarbara Norris AshevilleMember Posts: 1
    edited 5 July, 2006
    Whenever people see me they say WOW, what a fat cat. I weigh 20.6 pounds and though my vet isn't particularly worried she doesn't want me gaining any more weight. That's what she said last year when I was 19 pounds. So, Mommy has put all three of us on a new DIET. We get very high quality canned food and only 1/3 cup of dry food a day. Chino and Lucy lost weight on last year's diet, but obviously I did NOT. My vet subscribes to the newest thought about nutrition and had my mom read www.catinfo.org about what to feed me. Mommy found the new food in a DOG TREATS store!!! We all LOVE it. It's Wellness Turkey and Turkey & Salmon. YUM! The vet wants my weight to come off S-L-O-W-L-Y. I'll keep you posted!
  • Melanie MarracqMelanie Marracq Redwood CityMember Posts: 18
    edited 5 July, 2006
    I am a very curvy kitty. At my last vet appointment I weighed 18 pounds. But its not because my mom or dad feed me lots of table scraps- I had kittens very young and my dad had me fixed afterwards and I never lost my pregancy wieght- plus the operation made me gain some weight/a bit of a pouch. But my vet says other than being a little chubby that I am very healthy, healthier in fact than most cats my age (15) and that my girthness isnt affecting me negativly. My mom and dad feed me natural choice weight managment (and have been for years) And they also put my food up on the top of my 6 foot kitty tree/post that has lots of branches/levels so that I have to get some exercise if I want to chow down.